Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

cold/flu remedies

Options
  • 01-11-2008 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

I'm here in bed like death warmed up, been pumpin myself full of uniflu, hot drinks, nurofen you name it..im still no better and ive slept for goin on 2days now!
    any suggestions? nothing worse than being sick on the weekend...why couldnt this strike on a monday!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

what exactly is the problem? i work with kids, so, when, about a month ago, i came out in a cold , i blamed the snotty nosed kids i work with , but didnt think more of it... a week or so later, i develope a cough. :?

that's not good. horrible chesty one, lots of phlegm to be heard every time i cough.

went ot the chemists eventually looking for medicine to make it stop, after it was severely affecting mine and my fella's sleep.. they recommended two different medicines... cheapest being $15... (ie, too expensive)... before mentioning that honey and warm water should aslo do the trick.

sounds good.

just need ot buy some honey now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Chew one clove of raw garlic 3 time a day and your cold/flu will be gone in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Shot of whisky, squirt of lemon juice, teaspoon of honey, top up with boiling water. Drink it as hot as you can manage.

If you're stuck in bed anyway and won't be driving, repeat as needed. Drink plenty of non-alcoholic fluids in between - water or something like orange juice.

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXLHWmjA5IE

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I reckon the likes of lemsips only prolong the cold. Take plenty of vitamin C (redoxon) and wrap up, only your body is capable of beating it so just keep it pumped up on what it needs to fight the cold/flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Zorba wrote: »
    Chew one clove of raw garlic 3 time a day and your cold/flu will be gone in no time.

And anything to get rid of the bad breath?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Mixedup

thanks for the replies, i might just get some rubex so and wait for it to go away..im in full self pity mode so dragging my ass down to the chemist might take a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

same boat, whats more annoying is that I knew I would be infected and would come down with it as predicted on Saturday

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Double whiskey, lemon, honey and hot water.

4 times an hour.

You'll soon forget about your cold..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Mixedup

You'll soon forget about your cold..biggrin.gif

AND WHERE I LIVE hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

For a cough, rub vicks vaporub on the bottom of your feet and put on warm socks. This seriously works, i tried it last week after developing a cough. It was gone in a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I eat as much garlic and chilli's as possible in my food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Zorba wrote: »

As will the husband/wife/partner and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Caoimhín wrote: »
    As will the husband/wife/partner and friends.

And permanently having a cold or flu will make them stay :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I eat as much garlic and chilli's as possible in my food.

Nothing better than an arse scorcher of a curry to chase away a cold. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Thoie wrote: »
    Shot of whisky, squirt of lemon juice, teaspoon of honey, top up with boiling water. Drink it as hot as you can manage.

SteveC wrote: »
    Double whiskey, lemon, honey and hot water.

4 times an hour.

You'll soon forget about your cold..:D

The Cloves , it's not a true Hot whiskey if you dont add the cloves.;)

and no l am not talking garlic.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Dying of the cold at the moment too, gonna get myself a nightcap of whiskey now!:D

Good thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭mobby

Chicken soup made from boiled chicken bones is your only man.

Thoie wrote: »

The Cloves , it's not a true Hot whiskey if you dont add the cloves.;)

and no l am not talking garlic.:D

But if you put cloves in it, it'd be like something you'd get in a pub, and therefore not medicinal. If you leave out the cloves it's clearly medicinal, and you can take it regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Looks like you are well on your way...........:D / maybe a bit too regularly.;)

quoting is a bitch.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

A litre of orange juice. Full of vitamin C, I promise this will work.;)

• Advertisement

Looks like you are well on your way...........:D / maybe a bit too regularly.;)

quoting is a bitch.:)

Shh, don't tell anyone or they'll all want some...

It's for a cold. Honest.

Advertisement