Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*********Motors Chat - Round 9 *********

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

YbFocus wrote: »
    127k man, 106 when I got it.
    More low average to be honest.

Plenty of M52 engines going over 300k though, they are crazy reliable.
    BMW reliability rabble wabble :)

I've heard about them being a reliable engine alright I think I may of known someone who has one can't recall though. Ah 106k wasn't a whole lot on it infairness. There is almost 77k miles on mine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Anyone heading to VAGE this Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I'm going up for a look. Usually a good selection.

I still don't think I understand DL reg cars :(

They have every accessory under the sun tacked on to them, are generally very high spec, seem to be in immaculate condition, are usually going for relatively cheap prices.. but I can't bring myself to even consider one. A DL reg is an instant no-no for me on a car. Even on cars that aren't 'boy racer' material. :o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They have every accessory under the sun tacked on to them, are generally very high spec, seem to be in immaculate condition, are usually going for relatively cheap prices.. but I can't bring myself to even consider one. A DL reg is an instant no-no for me on a car. Even on cars that aren't 'boy racer' material. :o

Instant turn off for me.

I work up there the odd time, and the drivers are simply mental

Am the same with Cavan reg cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Each to their own and all that but that is really stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Anyone heading to VAGE this Sunday?
    What time is that on and til when??

I'm going up for a look. Usually a good selection.

What time does it start at? I've to be in work for 3 so hoping it starts early enough for a decent look.
    Gavman84 wrote: »
    What time is that on and til when??

^^ :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

If you're there about 12 you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Might pop down early enough so myself as afternoon doesn't suit me really.

• Advertisement

If you're there about 12 you'll be fine.

Ah that's grand so, will get a decent look in!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Only just seen that dgt closed his account a few days ago. One of the most genuine chaps Il ever know. Hope he comes back, as he really will be missed from here... best of luck to him.

Stheno wrote: »
    Instant turn off for me.

I work up there the odd time, and the drivers are simply mental

Am the same with Cavan reg cars

It's not even that the drivers may be a bit mental there, I just can't put my finger on why I dislike them.

If I see a nice car and then see it has a DL plate, my opinion of it always lowers. It's like seeing a lovely car going down the road, and when it passes you see the back bumpers damaged. Your thinking is "nice motor.. shame about the damage".

I have the same thinking when I see a DL plate. And I've no idea why I dislike them so much. :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It's not even that the drivers may be a bit mental there, I just can't put my finger on why I dislike them.

If I see a nice car and then see it has a DL plate, my opinion of it always lowers. It's like seeing a lovely car going down the road, and when it passes you see the back bumpers damaged. Your thinking is "nice motor.. shame about the damage".

I have the same thinking when I see a DL plate. And I've no idea why I dislike them so much. :confused:

No for me it's that I feel like I take my life in my hands driving in either Cavan or Donegal, and the sheer amount of neglected cars with defective lights etc drives me nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

job seeker wrote: »
    Only just seen that dgt closed his account a few days ago. One of the most genuine chaps Il ever know. Hope he comes back, as he really will be missed from here... best of luck to him.

Yeah tis a shame :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Wouldn't mind a DL reg car meself, lived in Letterkenny for a while and there were only a fistfull of boyracers. You can probably get yourself a bargain by buying something the Dub snobs won't even look at.

Wouldn't mind a DL reg car meself, lived in Letterkenny for a while and there were only a fistfull of boyracers. You can probably get yourself a bargain by buying something the Dub snobs won't even look at.

Letterkenny and the roads around it are what I'm basing my Dub snobbery on!

There's one roundabout there where you literally take your life in your hands :D

Letterkenny and the roads around it are what I'm basing my Dub snobbery on!

There's one roundabout there where you literally take your life in your hands :D

Which one is that? I always thought the roundabouts there were grand.

Which one is that? I always thought the roundabouts there were grand.

The one at the sweet factory if you are coming from Dunnes to go to the hospital :)

The one at the sweet factory if you are coming from Dunnes to go to the hospital :)

Never had bother with that one. Used to to use it every day

• Advertisement

Never had bother with that one. Used to to use it every day

Is mental now!

Is mental now!

Twas 2012 when I was up there last maybe tis worse now.

Twas 2012 when I was up there last maybe tis worse now.

Ah yeah I'm talking the past years, it's one of those roundabouts now that is too busy on one junction so the rest stall, and you'd to dart out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Since when is there 18 cent between a litre of petrol and diesel. Can't remember the exact numbers, but remembered there was 18 cent in it today.

Few of the lads and I decided to go for a few games of pool in one of the pubs. Quite village, literally 2 cars in it as of 1 o clock this morning. One of the lads knew an old neighbour, and we offered him a lift home as we were going. Village is at a crossroads, and just as the 4 of us were going to get into the car, the unmarked garda car comes up a road and stops at the crossroad. They turned their heads left and obvs just seen the 4 of us getting in. So they drove up one side of me, blue lights and all. I hadn't even got a chance to get the key in the ignition they were there that fast. Ban Garda hops out from the passenger seat and to my window. Asks for licence, was I drinking and where I was off to. Told her the story, she was satisfied enough and off they went.

Just goes to show how quick off the mark they were, seen the target and went for it. Didn't even go to look at the tax etc. Wasn't drinking anyway, but if she wanted could she have bagged me? Even though I was only after getting in? I've a funny feeling she could if she wanted, but sure she probably knew straight away by my breath and reactions that I was grand.

Seem to have encountered the gardai a few times lately, hardly ever before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Just goes to show how quick off the mark they were, seen the target and went for it. Didn't even go to look at the tax etc. Wasn't drinking anyway, but if she wanted could she have bagged me? Even though I was only after getting in? I've a funny feeling she could if she wanted, but sure she probably knew straight away by my breath and reactions that I was grand.

Seem to have encountered the gardai a few times lately, hardly ever before that.

Yeah, you don't have to be driving to be charged with driving under the influence. Surprised they didn't bag you to fill a quota anyway.
    5.— (1) A person commits an offence if, when in charge of a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place with intent to drive or attempt to drive the vehicle (but not driving or attempting to drive it), he or she is under the influence of an intoxicant to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the vehicle.

It's funny how they went for you, yet every night without fail where I live there's 40-100+ cars (depends on the night) sitting outside the pubs (there's about 13 pubs in the town), only about 5 cars are actually residents cars, and somehow they've all disappeared by the morning. Garda station is also in the town, there's never any checkpoints or visible presence come closing times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Since when is there 18 cent between a litre of petrol and diesel. Can't remember the exact numbers, but remembered there was 18 cent in it today.

Yo dawg, the government heard you liked tax so they maintain an extra 10c on a fuel that you use more of and pay higher vrt and motor tax on the vehicles that use it.

Because, frankly, you deserve it for NOT scuttering cancer and lung irritants everywhere.

How very dare you drive a car that doesn't sound like someone put spanners in the washing machine.

How very dare you drive a car that doesn't sound like someone put spanners in the washing machine.

That literally is the best description of the focus' engine..... old skoool yo!

It's funny how they went for you, yet every night without fail where I live there's 40-100+ cars (depends on the night) sitting outside the pubs (there's about 13 pubs in the town), only about 5 cars are actually residents cars, and somehow they've all disappeared by the morning. Garda station is also in the town, there's never any checkpoints or visible presence come closing times.

A thing of right place, right time is all I'd say. They were on patrol of the general area, came into the village, came over to me, and when they were done with me they took off like a bullet out of the place.

• Advertisement

So this is what I get for not being able to wash the car... classy :pac:

Looks like I'll have to attack the car with the garden hose! That's only a weeks dirt fyi.

V1hubBb.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement