Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

ROK ON wrote: »
    Capt

Pure class.

I will be trying that place for lunch in the future hopefully.
    More if this sort of thing.

He doesn't have a restaurant, they provide on-site catering.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

AstraMonti wrote: »
    We need sun glasses like these: http://technabob.com/blog/2012/10/31/oakley-airwave-ski-goggles/

No more garmin/computers etc..
    I wonder what Google's Project Glass will be like. Probably very expensive to begin with, but maybe the HUD will work well for cyclists combining sun glasses, GPS, and helmet cam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Bah I knocked over a girl today 
    I was coming up by pearse st dart, wasn’t going that fast there was a mighty headwind into my face and some tool steps out to cross the road – I had the lights of course – but this guy started an avalanche of folks, I hit the brakes and shouted but a girl, maybe 20 or so, stepped out without looking, wearing a hood and headphones. I turned the bike and hit her with my forearm to lessen the impact but still she hit the deck – not too hard I don’t think. It reminded me of when Paulo di Canio pushed over the ref. I checked if she was ok which she says she was. I’ve mixed feelings about it, obviously she shouldn’t have stepped onto the road without looking and I think I did my best to avoid really creasing her, but I feel really awful as she was only a wee slip of a lass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭buffalo

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I was coming up by pearse st dart, wasn’t going that fast there was a mighty headwind into my face and some tool steps out to cross the road – I had the lights of course – but this guy started an avalanche of folks, I hit the brakes and shouted but a girl, maybe 20 or so, stepped out without looking, wearing a hood and headphones. I turned the bike and hit her with my forearm to lessen the impact but still she hit the deck – not too hard I don’t think. It reminded me of when Paulo di Canio pushed over the ref. I checked if she was ok which she says she was. I’ve mixed feelings about it, obviously she shouldn’t have stepped onto the road without looking and I think I did my best to avoid really creasing her, but I feel really awful as she was only a wee slip of a lass

I've had the same thing happen, and the guilt has long since faded. Felt really bad at the time, but from the way you tell it a) it's almost entirely her fault for stepping onto the road without listening nor looking, and b) she might learn a lesson from this occasion, and not make the same mistake with a faster bike or a car in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Bah I knocked over a girl today...maybe 20 or so

That would make her a woman then.

</pedant>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Lumen wrote: »

That would make her a woman then.

</pedant>

You're missing an opening pedant tag there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭Junior

Gardai giving hi vis items including LED bike lights for cyclists on Dame St 12.30pm to 1.30pm today. Bring your bike! Limited supply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Another pedant alert:

There is no such place as that which you describe above. Pearse station is located on Westland Row. There is no Pearse street train station. This wrecks my head no end :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    There is no such place as that which you describe above. Pearse station is located on Westland Row. There is no Pearse street train station. This wrecks my head no end :mad:

Thanks for making my pedantry look less trivial.

Lumen wrote: »
    Thanks for making my pedantry look less trivial.

You are welcome, my friend.

Junior wrote: »
    Gardai giving hi vis items including LED bike lights for cyclists on Dame St 12.30pm to 1.30pm today. Bring your bike! Limited supply

Thanks very much, am now lit up like Grafton Street and very very viz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Another pedant alert:

fair enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

Cavendish on Sky's broken TdF promise from the Torygraph

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Another pedant alert:

A large Belfast dental practice regularly advertises in the press down here and advises potential customers that they are only 2 hours from "Connolly Street Station". :rolleyes:

A large Belfast dental practice regularly advertises in the press down here and advises potential customers that they are only 2 hours from "Connolly Street Station". :rolleyes:

The idiot. I hope they are better at teeth than they're at place names!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

Interesting interview with Wiggins in the Guardian. In his book (ghosted by William Fotheringham) which is published next week, he is apparently critical of Froome's knowledge of the sport and his tactical naivety.

The idiot. I hope they are better at teeth than they're at place names!

Ahem, glasshouses, stones? I travelled along a motorway yesterday with several signs for 'PALMERSTON'.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I think it was the nicest night for cycling ever around Wexford town tonight. Bitterly cold, but so bright and starry, and the freezing fog only made more atmospheric. Sat on the bike outside my house for while to enjoy it :)

• Advertisement

Ahem, glasshouses, stones? I travelled along a motorway yesterday with several signs for 'PALMERSTON'.
    The NRA use the OSI guidelines (see below):
    The definitive legal placenames of the country are contained in the maps of Ordinance Survey Ireland which date back to the time of the original mapping and valuation of the country. These are deemed to be the legal placenames of the country.

The old name for Palmerstown was Palmerston and the two main townlands in the area are still known as "Palmerston Upper" and "Palmerston Lower".

The NRA use the OSI guidelines (see below):

The old name for Palmerstown was Palmerston and the two main townlands in the area are still known as "Palmerston Upper" and "Palmerston Lower".

I lie corrected. But the point I'm making still stands: placenames in Ireland are routinely misspelled on road signs.

By the way, if you happen to have the map handy (the OSI map won't work on my laptop, it has a conniption), could you look up Kinvara on the border of Clare and Galway? That was always spelled with one 'r', and now half the signs have one and half two.

By the way, if you happen to have the map handy (the OSI map won't work on my laptop, it has a conniption), could you look up Kinvara on the border of Clare and Galway? That was always spelled with one 'r', and now half the signs have one and half two.
    It's spelt "Kinvarra" on all OSI maps - new and historic. The alternative spelling may have been put up by Galway CC as the NRA are only responsible for "N" and "M" roads.

It's spelt "Kinvarra" on all OSI maps - new and historic. The alternative spelling may have been put up by Galway CC as the NRA are only responsible for "N" and "M" roads.

Thanks - that's very interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭furiousox

Indeed, almost as interesting as the Irish grammar debate we endured recently.

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Lehinch/ Lahinch is another one that pops to mind.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Well I didn't put them up so the glass house and stone doesn't apply to me pal!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Highlights of 2012

/also known as the Pharmstrong year :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Saw this in a magazine at lunch time....

8158152565_82af1e2937.jpg

Not the drugs then?

Interestingly the magazine was called something like "How science works!"

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

E-mail just received:
    We are delighted to inform you that you have been successful in the ballot and are eligible to purchase two tickets for the UEFA Champions League Final at Wembley Stadium on Saturday 25 May 2013.
    :D:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement