Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

The game is up for the likes of Bergin, Blake, Clancy, O' Donnell, Higgins (before it began). Joyce has been a great servant but I think he'll probably hang up the boots when the season concludes.

Wouldnt agree about Blake at all. He is one of our better players and I actually think a new Galway team should be built around him. Even today, he came on at no.11 (A position I never saw him play before) and had a decent input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

Wouldnt agree about Blake at all. He is one of our better players and I actually think a new Galway team should be built around him. Even today, he came on at no.11 (A position I never saw him play before) and had a decent input.

Well I could'nt disagree more. What did he do when he came on? Win a bit of ball? He has been badly exposed as a centre back, he simply has'nt the pace to make it at inter county. He's a failed Galway player, and building a team around a player like him will lead to more of it.

I'd persist with Mark Hehir. Give him time he'll come good. As for centre back, better off long term with Duane there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Thought Blake did OK today, but I'd also agree that we should stick with Mark Hehir. Blake should've replaced one of the dismal half-backs and not a forward. Hehir is a good footballer but he seemed a little small to be centre forward today. That said he wasn't getting fed enough good ball to really know.

Thought Blake did OK today, but I'd also agree that we should stick with Mark Hehir. Blake should've replaced one of the dismal half-backs and not a forward. Hehir is a good footballer but he seemed a little small to be centre forward today. That said he wasn't getting fed enough good ball to really know.

I agree. I like Blake in many respects. He has a lot of heart and is a tough player, but I find he just is'nt up to it. Factor in the facts that he's getting on a bit and is injury prone. I don't see the point in persisting with him in future, if we are looking to build a team that might threaten in 3/4 years time. I won't object to him playing instead of Higgins against Meath but long term he has no real future, unless we wan't to be continuously getting the same results and asking why.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

What has happened our forwards - they don't seem able to take a point from out the field anymore. When Galwya were winning/competing for AI's in the late 90's and early 00's, we had a half forward line who would score 3 or points from play everyday out. Now they seem like they can't do that and rely on the inside line of Meehan and Joyce to score it all - any opposition will cop onto that and double mark them. Then the game is up, literally

• Advertisement

Well I could'nt disagree more. What did he do when he came on? Win a bit of ball? He has been badly exposed as a centre back, he simply has'nt the pace to make it at inter county. He's a failed Galway player, and building a team around a player like him will lead to more of it.

To say Blake is a failed Galway player is off the mark; He has had many fine days as a Galway player and I think he actually got an all star nomination one year when Galway did not fare too well.

Blake came on at centre forward yesterday (a position I have never seen him play before) and I felt he did very well. He showed fight, he reduced the influence Mayo's no. 6 was having on the game and he got on the ball a number of times. Compare how often Blake got on the ball compared to Hehir. However, I do agree that Galway have to persist with Hehir a little longer.
    I agree that Blake does lack pace; that is his only flaw as far as I can see. His distribution is excellent, he organises the defence around him, he is able to tackle. The ties I have seen him exposed most is against Declan O'Sullivan for Kerry but you could say that about most defenders who come up against him. Blake is 29 this year, that is not pushing on a bit. Most teams need a bit of experience and he can provide that.

To say Blake is a failed Galway player is off the mark; He has had many fine days as a Galway player and I think he actually got an all star nomination one year when Galway did not fare too well.

Blake came on at centre forward yesterday (a position I have never seen him play before) and I felt he did very well. He showed fight, he reduced the influence Mayo's no. 6 was having on the game and he got on the ball a number of times. Compare how often Blake got on the ball compared to Hehir. However, I do agree that Galway have to persist with Hehir a little longer.
    I agree that Blake does lack pace; that is his only flaw as far as I can see. His distribution is excellent, he organises the defence around him, he is able to tackle. The ties I have seen him exposed most is against Declan O'Sullivan for Kerry but you could say that about most defenders who come up against him. Blake is 29 this year, that is not pushing on a bit. Most teams need a bit of experience and he can provide that.

I think we're better off long term with a player like Duane or Bradshaw at centre back. You're forgetting he's also injury prone. I have my doubts he'd be a settled starter in the future. chances are that by the time any future team comes good, he'll have retired anyway. A loyal servant to club and county but I don't think we'll see him around that much.
    He had his best years from around 2005 to 2008, I think he's been going down hill ever since. I was impressed with his honesty and endevour, but I remember seeing him against Sligo last year and I really thought he was at sea.

However, having said that considering the panel of players we have at the moment and the fact that the Meath game is less than two weeks away, I'd probably prefer see him at centre back rather than Higgins anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

Agree with all that. Yesterday doesn't make Hehir a bad player - it was a big ask of him to start at no. 11 in his first major outing at Senior level for Galway. Thought Blake added bite and urgency when he came on; don't know what other posters saw in Sice, thought he was awful, along with the rest of the HB line.

Based on what we know and saw yesterday, following would be team I'd pick for the Meath game;

Faherty

Forde (steady game yesterday)
    Hanley (needs to be here)
    A Burke (has to up it though)

Bradshaw (has to come back)
    Duane (not bad yesterday, but more suited to further out the field)
    A. N. Other

Greg Higgins (poor yesterday, but a midfielder for his club)
    Not Bergin (O Curraoin worth a shot maybe)

Hehir (Concannon has ability but little bottle)
    Blake
    Conroy (just about, chances running out now)

Bane
    Joyce
    Cummins

Feck all left on the bench but we have to worry about staring 15 first

For Meath I'd go with something like this.

Faherty

C Forde (steady game yesterday)
    F Hanley (needs to be here)
    J Duane

G Bradshaw (has to come back here)
    D Blake (he's the best option for there right now)
    G Sice (T Fahy if he was around)

Greg Higgins (T Flynn if he was a bit older)
    O' Curraoin

Conroy (Showed some heart, and harshly subbed)
    Hehir (I'd persist with him here, could always be swithed rather than axed)
    M Boyle (would add some much needed pace to HF)

Bane/Meehan
    Joyce
    Cummins

If Meehan was fit to start I'd play Bane at HF instead of Conroy. I can see O' Flatharta bringing in a donkey like Clancy instead of Cummins to play out the field. Blake on Joe Sheridan might not be the worst idea, both are very physical. We'll need a very strong full back line for Meath as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Where do you even start with yesterday's performance? Absolutely atrocious. Giving the ball away constantly, fumbling it at every opportunity, terrible wides, no gameplan, no leadership on or off the field, stupid substitutions. Jesus the list goes on.

My take on the individual players

Faherty - did ok. made a couple of good saves.

Burke - Average. Not our worst player on the day, but it was a backs day in any case.
    Forde - Looks a good prospect in the longer term.
    Duane - Not convinced about this fella. Jury still out

O'Donnell - Not even close to being a county footballer.
    Higgins - Baffled as to why he's playing centre back. Why not play him midfield? Poor yesterday.
    Sice - Normally fairly reliable but terrible yesterday. gave possession away so many times.

Bergin - Absolutey useless. Did nothing but fumble the ball. The game is up Joe.
    Hanley - A good footballer but looks to be struggling a bit at midfield. Yesterday he did his best but it's not really his position.

Concannon - Very disappointed with him yesterday. Definitely suited to no.13 rather than 10. another player out of position.
    Hehir - Looked off the pace yesterday, maybe not ready for the step up just yet. Could still be one for the future though.
    Bradshaw - Worked hard as always but to little avail. Not a forward. Another one out of position (are you seeing a trend here?)

Joyce - I felt sorry for him having to play with this motley crew. He was poor enough yesterday but didn't exactly have much support. A pity that a stellar career will have such a limp ending.
    Conroy - Disappointing, though I was still a little surprised when he was taken off. Not our worst player.
    Bane - Kicked a few great frees even if his general play wasn't great. No way should he have been taken off though.

Subs:

Clancy - Finshed at this level. The wrong man to bring on at that stage.
    Meehan - Clearly not fit and was just a desperate last throw of the dice.
    Blake - Putting him centre forward was yet another baffling decision by an utterly clueless management team.

Management:
    Hopeless beyond belief. I hadn't much faith in O'Flatharta before he came in but I'm afraid I have much less now. I know we shouldn't always be blaming management but this guy hasn't a clue.

Overall it was one of the worst Galway performances I've ever seen. We'll be put out of our misery by Meath and that will be that. Where we go from there I don't know. We're not going far with this manager anyway that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

c_man wrote: »
    Mick Byrnes for me! In full maroon and white regale, obviously.

The man himself is a gent.

Ah jaysus, what happened to us? I couldn't believe how poorly we played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Galway GAA is in crisis. We just don't have the players or the heart to compete till September.

All I saw yesterday was a bunch of robots giving the ball away (sup Bergin). Some of the most awful passing I've seen at inter-county level.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Opelfruit

Serious question - why is the Galway support always so poor compared to other Connacht teams?

Opelfruit wrote: »
    Serious question - why is the Galway support always so poor compared to other Connacht teams?

In general yes. Before the glory days of 98-01 we had piss poor support. Easily the worst in Connacht. Mayo, Roscommon, Sligo and Leitrim have a greater loyal fan base for their respective populations. Galway support doesnt travel that well.
    However, looking at the way the team are playing. The fact they ar'nt playing as a team, have no gameplan no tactics its hard to blame people, especially if you were in Tullamore the week before. For a game that was so poor and was always likely to be so poor the ticket prices yesterday were ridiculous.

Galway GAA is in crisis. We just don't have the players or the heart to compete till September.

All I saw yesterday was a bunch of robots giving the ball away (sup Bergin). Some of the most awful passing I've seen at inter-county level.

One issue, only one mind.

The players don't have the level of dedication required to be successful at this level. I attribute this to both the footballers and hurlers. These players ar'nt near as commited as the players that came before them. Good young players like Conroy and Concannon come into the panel and the bad habits of the more senior players start washing off on them. The players then never develop their potential.

The players abilities ar'nt a patch on those that came before them too, but still theres no substitute for hard work and dedication. Thats why we need a clear out under Mullholland. We need him to instill a work ethic and togetherness for the future.

People who paid 30 euro for tickets don't deserve to see such a poor showing. You can't blame people for deciding to stay at home to watch. I go to as much matches as I can myself but I'm one of a very few.

One issue, only one mind.

The players don't have the level of dedication required to be successful at this level. I attribute this to both the footballers and hurlers. These players ar'nt near as commited as the players that came before them. Good young players like Conroy and Concannon come into the panel and the bad habits of the more senior players start washing off on them. The players then never develop their potential.

The players abilities ar'nt a patch on those that came before them too, but still theres no substitute for hard work and dedication. Thats why we need a clear out under Mullholland. We need him to instill a work ethic and togetherness for the future.
    Agree completely. And with such issues you can't expect a big crowd from Galway going to the Meath match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

People who paid 30 euro for tickets don't deserve to see such a poor showing. You can't blame people for deciding to stay at home to watch. I go to as much matches as I can myself but I'm one of a very few.

I'm polishing a blue peter badge for ya

People keep banging on about how many players from the recent minor & U21 teams have come through. But I would be interested in knowing how many of the 2002 Jarlaths Hogan cup winning team have played for Galway and how many are currently playing for Galway. Those lads should be around 26 or 27 now and be at their peak.

People keep banging on about how many players from the recent minor & U21 teams have come through. But I would be interested in knowing how many of the 2002 Jarlaths Hogan cup winning team have played for Galway and how many are currently playing for Galway. Those lads should be around 26 or 27 now and be at their peak.

I could'nt find an actual team, but the following players currently play with or have played at some stage in the county colours and were on that panel.

These are:

Damien Dunleavy
    John Devane
    Darragh Mullaghy
    Niall Coleman
    Paul Doherty
    Cillian De Paor
    Gary Sice
    Michael Meehan
    Alan Burke

All have had varying degrees of success. Dunleavy and Mullaghy had their problems with injury and never consistantly lined out for the county.
    We all know how great Mike Meehan has been and hopefully will be again. Alan Burke only started making the team consistantly in the last 2 years, but has'nt been too successful. We know the story with Coleman and Sice. Paul Doherty was'nt too bad for the county but since disappeared. De Paor was around in the the last couple of years. I think he was dropped this year. John Devane played with the county for a brief period over 5 years ago. Most of those players if not all went on to win an AI U21 medal in 2005.

• Advertisement

I could'nt find an actual team, but the following players currently play with or have played at some stage in the county colours and were on that panel.

These are:

Damien Dunleavy
    John Devane
    Darragh Mullaghy
    Niall Coleman
    Paul Doherty
    Cillian De Paor
    Gary Sice
    Michael Meehan
    Alan Burke

All have had varying degrees of success. Dunleavy and Mullaghy had their problems with injury and never consistantly lined out for the county.
    We all know how great Mike Meehan has been and hopefully will be again. Alan Burke only started making the team consistantly in the last 2 years, but has'nt been too successful. We know the story with Coleman and Sice. Paul Doherty was'nt too bad for the county but since disappeared. De Paor was around in the the last couple of years. I think he was dropped this year. John Devane played with the county for a brief period over 5 years ago. Most of those players if not all went on to win an AI U21 medal in 2005.

Geez, yeah forgotten about Dunleavy, he was a decent player. That Warde lad from Cortoon was a good prospect back at that time too. De Paor was actually in the panel for the league this year but was poor in the games I saw him in. I remember at the time everybody was raving about how bright the future of Galway football was going to be because there were 13 Galway lads on the team, more than what was on the 1994 team.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gerrybbb

Would any one think that the way Galway Club football has been structured this year will have a serious bad effect on our ability to produce good fooballers. The senior league has no consequence for Championship football any more. In the future all a club has to do is win one senior championship game per year and will remain there as long as they keep doing this. It is also harder for teams to come up from the lower tears as you can only get promoted in championship. It seems ridicolous to have changed to this format when our old system was perhaps one of the best in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Back to the hurling, this is the team to play Clare on Saturday evening.

skehill
    cuilliane
    kavanagh
    moore
    barry
    tony og
    collins
    smith
    burke
    gantly
    farragher
    tannion
    hayes (c)
    canning
    keirns

What the footballers need now is a clearout I'm afraid. The current managaement haven't a notion and need to be discarded asap. Bring in Mulholland, and introduce alot of new young players, bring in a bunch of the U-21s and give them a chance. It might take 2 or 3 years to see results but we need to look at the bigger picture now.

The likes of Bergin, Clancy, Blake and Alan Burke have nothing left to offer at this level. Even Padraig Joyce is finished at this stage. He's still good enough, but looked completely disillusioned. And I don't blame him. Most of the players beside him on Sunday wouldn't be fit to polish his boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Back to the hurling, this is the team to play Clare on Saturday evening.

skehill
    cuilliane
    kavanagh
    moore
    barry
    tony og
    collins
    smith
    burke
    gantly
    farragher
    tannion
    hayes (c)
    canning
    keirns

Is this the actual team for Saturday or is it your own personal preferance?

This is the official line-up (subject to change obv)

James Skehill
    (Cappataggle)

Fergal Moore Shane Kavanagh David Collins
    (Turloughmore) (Kinvara) (Liam Mellows)

Donal Barry Tony Og Regan Adrian Cullinane
    (Castlegar) (Rahoon Newcastle) (Craughwell)

David Burke Andy Smith
    (St.Thomas) (Portumna)

Joe Gantley Ger Farragher Iarla Tannian
    (Beagh) (Castlegar) (Ardrahan)

Damien Hayes (Capt) Joe Canning Alan Kerins
    (Portumna) (Portumna) (Clarenbridge)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

This is the official line-up (subject to change obv)

James Skehill
    (Cappataggle)

Fergal Moore Shane Kavanagh David Collins
    (Turloughmore) (Kinvara) (Liam Mellows)

Donal Barry Tony Og Regan Adrian Cullinane
    (Castlegar) (Rahoon Newcastle) (Craughwell)

David Burke Andy Smith
    (St.Thomas) (Portumna)

Joe Gantley Ger Farragher Iarla Tannian
    (Beagh) (Castlegar) (Ardrahan)

Damien Hayes (Capt) Joe Canning Alan Kerins
    (Portumna) (Portumna) (Clarenbridge)

A *bit* better, but HB line short of power and wings wouldn't be the tightest of markers. Smith is stronger than Barry Daly but scarcely a better player. Burke needs a big game. On paper HF line might look ok, but Farragher is no-one's idea of a CHF and both he and Tannian won't be match sharp. Gantley is game but has no touch or skill. When you're a struggling team, there's very little point in starting a player in a set position, only to have to move him out of it after a short spell - always unsettles a team. Don't expect too much from this line, that's all I say. Kerins is and always will be a superior player to both Ryan and Callanan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

MfMan wrote: »
    A *bit* better, but HB line short of power and wings wouldn't be the tightest of markers. Smith is stronger than Barry Daly but scarcely a better player. Burke needs a big game. On paper HF line might look ok, but Farragher is no-one's idea of a CHF and both he and Tannian won't be match sharp. Gantley is game but has no touch or skill. When you're a struggling team, there's very little point in starting a player in a set position, only to have to move him out of it after a short spell - always unsettles a team. Don't expect too much from this line, that's all I say. Kerins is and always will be a superior player to both Ryan and Callanan.

Agree that Farragher wouldnt strike me as a natural CF but feck even if hes leg is hanging off he'll do better than Donnellan the last day!

Wouldnt agree about if they have to move Gantley it will unsettle the team, every single intercounty forward should be capable of playing in all 6 positions to be honest, look at the rotation that Tipp and KK do in their forwards, the only people it unsettles is the opposition defenders tbh.

Tipp for example have no natural CF and havent had since Declan Ryan himself, so what they did last year was played Noel McGrath there, had all the other forwards rotating with teh exception of Bonner Maher and Noel was then able to drift and float into space, he was probably the only CF to comeout on top against Brick Walsh last year and the reason was he took him out of he's comfort zone and Brick didnt know where he was half the time, Farragher could be effective in this type of role, hes quite similar to Seamie Callinan who is performing that role for Tipp this year.

The half forward line does look a bit better with Farragher and Tannian back. And Alan Kerins has never let us down so hopefully he can turn in a good performance. I'd still be hopeful, they surely cannot be as bad as the last day, and Clare are fairly beatable if Galway can bounce back from the Dublin defeat. This is a real make or break game though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

aidan24326 wrote: »
    The half forward line does look a bit better with Farragher and Tannian back. And Alan Kerins has never let us down so hopefully he can turn in a good performance. I'd still be hopeful, they surely cannot be as bad as the last day, and Clare are fairly beatable if Galway can bounce back from the Dublin defeat. This is a real make or break game though.
    What are the admission prices for this game anyone know?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement