Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taxi company racism report

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

I lived in Glasan by GMIT last year and whenever we'd call Big-O(the recommended company by the SU), if they said 5 minutes, we'd look out at that time and there'd be a load of 'black taxis'. This happened more than once and if there were more people than the black taxis could fit, and then the ordered taxis came the drivers would scream at us for using them. Hello they're drunk, they just want to go to town.

I won't get in a taxi that doesn't have a company of the sign, for safety reasons. Yeah, I know things can happen in company taxis, but it's easier, I guess, to take action, if needed because you know they're part of a company. Big O, and this year Cara Cabs have regulated fares too, around €2 per person from Bodkins/Glasan to town. But black taxis can charge up to €4 pp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

I always jump in a "Galway Taxis" as this company (or whatever they are) always send a taxi out to me if I call them at any hour of the morning.
    Byjasus aren't they great :pac: they all do that, it's what they're there for. Although sometimes ProCabs won't answer the phones when I've rang them 4-6am.
    Its down to brand loyalty in a way.
    Or race loyalty in a lot of cases...

Give it 20 years and it will probably be different. These sort of attitudes get bred out of people, like natural selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭ebbsy

bryanjf wrote: »
    My story involves a taxi driver of African origin.

I got into a taxi last night on the eyre sq rank, told the driver my destination, bohermore, and he refused to take me.

needless to say I took his plate number and will be complaining to the taxi regulator.

Hopefully justice will be swift for that taxi driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Meh, nicest car wins, i'm paying for it, why not go in comfort.

Had a couple bad experience with an Africian Drivers and tonnes of normal experiences, some great conversations and even a great tips for cooking lamb! Had plenty good and bad experiences with Irish drivers too. it really is down to the individual and not the race.

I don't know for the life of me why people let a taxi driver take them on the 'senic route' i always call them on it and i will always tell the driver the route i want them to take. We are too polite to complain and sit back and watch the meter crawl up.

As another poster mentioned the Eastern European fellas are the soundest I've ever come across. Does that make me racist!!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭freckly

I think we all have a right to choose a taxi if there is a selection available. I, for one, do not get into taxis driven by black men anymore. I have had 2 bad experiences and heard lots of stories. I know some of the stories about not being registered etc arent true, but if there is a seed of doubt and there is another option available, thats enough for me. I feel safer. I have never and will never be rude to drivers, and if I am wrong it only means a couple of lads lost out on a fare. It probably is racist, as I am choosing drivers based on a nationality, but I would also also avoid getting into a taxi with an Irish driver if the car was a banger or I thought the driver looked rough. I have no issues getting on a bus with a black driver as I know they have passed the appropriate test and are legitimate. Sadly, it is the few who caused the bad reputation and nervousness who have caused this problem, and not those of us who want to get home from our nights out as safely and comfortably as possible.

• Advertisement

ebbsy wrote: »
    Hopefully justice will be swift for that taxi driver.

Surely a taxi driver is within his rights to turn down a fare? The same way a shop is allowed to refuse a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 macam girl

Originally Posted by Fuinseog
    i am entitled to my opinion. there is nothing disgusting about it.:eek:

You are disgusting:mad: and thank god racists are a dying breed:P

macam girl wrote: »
    Originally Posted by Fuinseog
    i am entitled to my opinion. there is nothing disgusting about it.:eek:

You are disgusting:mad: and thank god racists are a dying breed:P
    Careful, according to the mods you're not allowed to express anti-racist views, it's too extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

freckly wrote: »
    It probably is racist, as I am choosing drivers based on a nationality..

The thing is you are *not* basing it on nationality, you are basing it on skin colour which is no indication of nationality. It is like looking at a White person and saying " I am not getting in a car with that British b*stard "(French, German, Austrian whatever), while having no idea where they are actually from. Aside from the obvious statement that people are individuals, there may of course be certain cultural 'traits' that make people likeable/hated etc. Kenyans are different from Ethiopians, from Nigerians etc, but how people can be sure which country they are from at a glance, beats me. In another 10 years if we continue to do this sorting by skin colour, we will be taking business from young black Irish lads.

Of course you have a right to choose, and of course bad experience will influence that, but the point is,skin colour doesn't tell us that much at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

Byjasus aren't they great :pac: they all do that, it's what they're there for. Although sometimes ProCabs won't answer the phones when I've rang them 4-6am.

What am I supposed to do carry 200 phone numbers for the individual taxi drivers? just to see which ones are working and available at the time I need a taxi?
    Or race loyalty in a lot of cases...

Give it 20 years and it will probably be different. These sort of attitudes get bred out of people, like natural selection.

stop sh!t stirring.

• Advertisement

Careful, according to the mods you're not allowed to express anti-racist views, it's too extreme.

Well the day I do not speak up against racists is the day they put me in the ground, anti-racist:eek: I have never heard anything so ridiculous:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I think we can all learn from this.......

The red car and the blue car had a race
    All that red could do was stuff his face
    He eats everything he sees
    From trucks to prickly trees
    But smart old blue he took the milky way

He's looking for a chocolate treat
    Fluffy and light
    Cos he knows it won't spoil his app-e-tite

Mm mm MMMM!

Oh no! the bridge has gone, poor old red just can't carry on
    But smart old blue, he took the milky way

Even old blue was a racist, God bless him.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,665 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It might take a bit longer here, Ireland seems to be a bit slow on the uptake on certain things.

But overall, I think you're right. To put this in a bit of foreign perspective:

Where I come from, 20+ years ago there was a major influx of Asian (mainly Cambodian and Vietnamese) refugees. Most of the Vietnamese decided that they liked the next-door country better, and left when the could. But the Cambodians stayed, and starting with being the "ethnic" guys driving the dodgy non-company taxis, they've slowly worked their way up the economic food chain. Today they are a significant bloc of shareholders in the best taxi company (like Galway Taxis position here, but actually a lot nicer still), and no one would see them as any different to a "white" driver.

There are still the dodgy non-company taxis. They're being driven by more recently arrived former refugees, mainly Somalis. I fully expect that given time they'll work their way up too (though their culture does have some attitudes towards women that don't sit well with the local culture - it will be a bumpier ride, though they do seem ambitious).

Irish people, btw, never really got into taxi driving because they were too busy dominating the building industry.

Of course there is some degree of racism going on in all these cases. But also people are recruiting from the folks they know and trust, and job opportunities are often filled from the friends of existing employees.

Seems to me that the original academic report (at least how it's portrayed in the media ) is a bit light on understanding of how the taxi industry works. Apart from that, it's not surprising me in anything it's said.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

Ive never taken a taxi with a black driver. And proud of it too.

Hate It or Love It.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Clemon wrote: »

Why?

I'm local and to any of the racists who aren't even from the city/county...

I'd rather any of the africans here then any of ye tbh. I've yet to see an African pissing or breaking bottles on the main street or generally just having disregard for the city i live in.

Africans>Blow ins

Surely a taxi driver is within his rights to turn down a fare? The same way a shop is allowed to refuse a sale.

That taxi driver should have done whats hes told, if he does'nt want to take fares the he should get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

I think there's some regulation

I'll have a look on the taxi regulator website

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I have had alot of Irish taxi drivers telling me of some illegal practices (registering two cars, same make, model and reg plate somehow in different towns

there is roughly about 8-12 Taxi inspectors from the Regulators office for the entire country, and the last time they were in Galway, the ranks were practically deserted, as word had gotten around. duplicate plates are a serious problem, but one that is not tackled by either the gardai, or the Regulator.

i dont look at skin colour at all, but i will not get into a taxi on my own that does not have the taxi company name and number on their car roofsign for this very reason. its the only way i can be sure its a legitimate taxi that the driver is fully garda vetted and insured to be on the road, and that his meter is sealed. i would love to give that same custom to the independant taxis as well, but there is no way to differentiate between these genuine plates and fake ones.

Originally Posted by Clemon

Thats just plain sad- ha ha- your greatest accomplishment, no doubt.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

From www.taxiregulator.ie

What is reasonable refusal of a hire?
    Taxi drivers have the right to refuse to carry a passenger requesting to travel in excess of 30km from the point of pick-up. A driver may also refuse a passenger who is disorderly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I asked this before how are Non Eu nationals getting licences for taxi driving?

Is it on a skills shortage list for entry to Ireland?

Im from Limerick and in the last 3/4 years seen alot of African and in the last 2 years alot of Aisans
    I use taxis 3 or 4 nights a week and have never come across an Eastern European driver in Limerick,Cork,Dublin ever

They are probably renting.

Not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Racism for me seems a lot worse down here than anywhere I have been if I'm completely honest. I've never been exposed to such raw and hatefull sentiments from people I would have considered mild mannered before. The taxi drivers have it bad as well, I have heard and witnessed some horror stories. It made me ashamed one night to witness a "man" in GMIT student accomadation start shouting that he didn't have to pay the taxi driver because he was black. Then he started on about how he should go back to africa. It makes my blood boil. Surely we as a people can understand emigration, it was us upto 20 years ago that were leaving the country in our droves to get jobs abroad and unfortunately many people are being forced to do it now. So Irish people with there selective memories really pi$$ me off.

The worst thing about it down here is that is quietly acceptable I feel. If someone says something even remotely racist there is apparently no real stigma attached. Its become part of casual conversation and to that an extent acceptable. Its annoying how ignorant and basically stupid some of the claims are though. Some real mind blowing conspericies going on around this city.

Racism for me seems a lot worse down here

Where is "up there"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

mikom wrote: »
    Where is "up there"?
    I'm from Sligo, so relative to that map of Ireland most are familiar with Galway to me would be "down here"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭LawnMower Man

Personally I admit I do look for the white person when I'm looking for a taxi, I read on the news last year that Nigerians like eating monkeys , I found the link to the news story in case you think I am making it up, I despise cruelty to animals. I will not get into any Korean Made Car either as they eat dogs in Korea.

Just every time I see a Nigerian I picture the poor little monkeys getting eaten....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

bryanjf wrote: »
    My story involves a taxi driver of African origin.

I got into a taxi last night on the eyre sq rank, told the driver my destination, bohermore, and he refused to take me.

needless to say I took his plate number and will be complaining to the taxi regulator.

well, in fairness the place has or had a reputation for being a little rough.

did he give you a reason? it would be interesting what the regulator or his company has to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

You are, and there is.

I'd say you haven't a clue what Jungle music even is. It started out in Bristol :pac:

you seem to be getting personal here and the childish smileys or whatever you want to call them do not help. obviously this is a topic you feel very emotional about. people like you drive people towards hard core racism.

• Advertisement

I'm from Sligo, so relative to that map of Ireland most are familiar with Galway to me would be "down here"

Ah gotcha.
    Well fraudster Pamela Izevbekhai seemed to like it "up there" so i can see where you are coming from.

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/73392

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement