Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

One day van insurance

Options
  • 05-10-2015 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi

I have a van that I want to use on the road for a day.

Van has up to date tax and MOT.

Van is currently not insured under any policy.

My brother is the registered owner.

Anyone know how I can get it insured for a day or two?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Do you have an existing policy that can be temporarily transferred? Insurance companies normally don't do short term cover unless it's a temporary transfer of an existing policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭tommyc123

bazz26 wrote: »
    Do you have an existing policy that can be temporarily transferred? Insurance companies normally don't do short term cover unless it's a temporary transfer of an existing policy.

I have my own policy on my car , but its transferrable to another CAR only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

tommyc123 wrote: »
    I have my own policy on my car , but its transferrable to another CAR only.

Ring up your insurance company and tell them the story. They might do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Might be easier to just rent a van then.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Might be easier to just rent a van then.

Yes but dearer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Yes but dearer

Dearer than about 40 yo-yos? I doubt you'll get insurance for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Have you tried talking to a broker? A large one might be able to help you out.

Triangle wrote: »
    Have you tried talking to a broker? A large one might be able to help you out.

Like who?? In limerick area.

Dearer than about 40 yo-yos? I doubt you'll get insurance for that.

I can't get a van for less than €90 a day around the limerick area.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭j.s. pill II

First you should try ringing your own insurance company to see if they would be willing to allow you to put the van on your own policy as a temporary substitution. I know a few companies that often allow this so long as the van is 1 ton or under carrying capacity (e.g. most Ford transits, Citroen berlingo etc) and is being used for the transport of own goods. Certainly worth a try.

If your own company refuses this, your brother may be able to add you on to his policy as a temporary additional driver. He will have to ring his own Insurance company/broker to arrange this. There is invariably an extra charge for this but if it's less than the cost of renting a van then it may be worth your while.

Trust me on this one, former broker ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Trust me on this one, former broker ;)

OP said there was no current policy on the van

OP said there was no current policy on the van

Well, yes, that rules out using temporary additional vehicle as an option. Anyway, the absence of policy on the van shouldn't make a difference on ability to do a temporary substitution. In fact, in these circumstances, some companies will push to have the cover taken care of by any existing policy (i.e. will suggest insuring OP as a temporary additional driver) before they will offer to do it as a temporary substitution. The fact that there is no policy on the van should strengthen the OP's hand a bit as he has no other option to get it insured for the day. Seriously - 2 minute phone call. Not a big problem for most companies.

. Seriously - 2 minute phone call. Not a big problem for most companies.

OP has said that his insurer will only transfer to another car, which is usual

OP has said that his insurer will only transfer to another car, which is usual

Not the norm at all. Most of the bigger companies I've dealt with in the past don't have any problems accommodating something like this. A private motor policy must obviously insure a private motor vehicle. There would be no chance that an insurance company would allow me to do a permanent substitution from a private vehicle to a commercial vehicle under an existing private policy (I'd have to cancel the existing private policy and take out a new commercial policy). However, this is a temporary substitution we're talking about here. The OP alludes in his second post to the fact that his policy will allow transfer to a "car only". This is most certainly the case for a permanent sub but most companies offer a bit more leeway for temporary subs . Depends on the company of course and it's at the underwriter's discretion at the end of the day so all the OP needs do is make a quick call.

It is not usual practice for most insurers to cross class temporary substitutions. There are policy wording implications, particularly relating to passengers. If the OP has gone to the trouble of starting a thread about one day van insurance and stated that his insurer will only transfer car to car. I think he has already made the call

It is not usual practice for most insurers to cross class temporary substitutions. There are policy wording implications, particularly relating to passengers. If the OP has gone to the trouble of starting a thread about one day van insurance and stated that his insurer will only transfer car to car. I think he has already made the call

Listen I'm just trying to share the benefit of my own experience - I've worked many years on both the broker and underwriter side. In fairness, you've said a lot that implies to me that you're just hazarding a guess at all this (unless you want to elaborate on what you mean by 'policy wording implications') The OP never once said he actually rang his insurance company. I know how these things work and my best advice is simply to make the call.

Now I remember why I rarely post on boards anymore.

Goodnight Vienna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I can't get a van for less than €90 a day around the limerick area.

Presumably they assume it's going to be used for a bank job? :pac:

Enterprise have Berlingos (sp?) for €48, transits for €75. That's actually quite expensive given I usually get a long wheelbase transit for under €45 when I need one.

...........you've said a lot that implies to me that you're just hazarding a guess at all this (unless you want to elaborate on what you mean by 'policy wording implications')...... Goodnight Vienna

I'm far from hazarding at a guess. One of the primary differences in the policy wording is that private car policies have no restriction on passengers, whereas commercial vehicle policies usually cover passengers 'for which a fixed seat is provided'. By using the existing private car wording and allowing a van on to the policy leaves them exposed.

The primary reason, though why insurers avoid cross transferring is that they have no control on the use that the vehicle will be put to. On a commercial vehicle policy you have 'use in connection with the business described in the schedule'. Step outside that and you are in bother.

Anyway, I'm not going to debate this further with you as you say you're off to bed

I'm far from hazarding at a guess. One of the primary differences in the policy wording is that private car policies have no restriction on passengers, whereas commercial vehicle policies usually cover passengers 'for which a fixed seat is provided'. By using the existing private car wording and allowing a van on to the policy leaves them exposed.

The primary reason, though why insurers avoid cross transferring is that they have no control on the use that the vehicle will be put to. On a commercial vehicle policy you have 'use in connection with the business described in the schedule'. Step outside that and you are in bother.

Anyway, I'm not going to debate this further with you as you say you're off to bed

Whatever they may have thought you in Business studies class, I can absolutely assure you that both the above points are pure hot air. The first point is a complete non-issue and the second issue is usually covered by asking the insured to declare that the vehicle will be used for the carriage of their own goods (like furniture removal etc.)

For the purposes of this thread, and for anyone in a similar situation to the OP, insurers can and do allow for temp subs of commerical vehicles on private motor policies in certain circumstances!

Right, I really am off to bed now, my cup of horlicks is getting cold..

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭EriktheRed

Insure the van and then cancel the policy.
    I only renewed mine last Friday and I was informed I have 14 days cooling-off period. It was directly with allianz.
    By the way shop around guys, as there are good deals available :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭n1st

I did this myself last month with 123/RSA. They temporarily transferred my motor insurance from my car to a van. They did it 3 times for me and without charge.
    However I've must changed insurer, Aviva, and they say they will not transfer to commercial van.
    Are there are independent vendors offering 1 day insurance for a commercial van?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement