Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Panel 2008

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

that chart sketch is completely stolen from Demitri Martin:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qhmahD_EbHY

except his is actually funny

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

darcy isn't on next week might improve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Christ that was absolute pants. Mainly due to D'Arsey's ability to suck the will to live outta me lately. Dara O'Briain ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 dennisthemennis

leave ray alone...hero the man is...infallible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭ConansGal

Fail does not even cover tonight.
    Colin yes, Neil yes. Everyone else.. *shakes head in pure despair*
    It's never been quite the same since Dara left but I have to say I enjoyed the past few series. If they return to form and have the regulars on then it might just be okay.
    Keep Arsey Darcy there and I think I might have to smash the tv with my own head just so the pain will end.
    RTE congratulations on ruining one of the only decent programmes you had.

Oh and the first guest insulting the Daily Show and Colbert Report. He is a bad man. A very very bad man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭legendal

Like Ray usually but he took that WAY too seriously, especially cutting Colin Murphy off to ask another serious question. Not a huge fan of Jarleth Regan either, so of a panel of five there were only two comedians really. Not a strong line-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Do yis reckon if we make enough complaints to RTE about Myers being on the show then we could get D'Arcy fired ? Someone called the dirtsheets and get the story printed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

ConansGal wrote: »
    Fail does not even cover tonight.
    Colin yes, Neil yes. Everyone else.. *shakes head in pure despair*
    It's never been quite the same since Dara left but I have to say I enjoyed the past few series. If they return to form and have the regulars on then it might just be okay.
    Keep Arsey Darcy there and I think I might have to smash the tv with my own head just so the pain will end.
    RTE congratulations on ruining one of the only decent programmes you had.

Oh and the first guest insulting the Daily Show and Colbert Report. He is a bad man. A very very bad man.

I didn't see the first half, what was he criticising them about? There's very good reason to give out about The Daily Show at least IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Shmuck

krudler wrote: »
    that chart sketch is completely stolen from Demitri Martin:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qhmahD_EbHY

except his is actually funny

How annoying is that audience, they roar with laughter at the end of every one of Demitri's sentences. Also Demitri stole that joke about the glass half full/half empty of **** etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭ConansGal

He just mentioned the "comedy news programmes in America" saying the the Panel were much funnier than them, which by tonights standards? No!
    I can't remember the exact wording of what he said but to me it seemed like a dig at TDS/TCR.
    IMO they are both very funny, well written shows. Also they give more information than a lot of other news programmes out there. That's just my opinion though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Heh, if had criticised them logically it could've been true, but claiming The Panel is funny just makes him lose all credibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Estella

It was Myres, the polemicist, his bread and butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I like Darcy. I don't know where all the hate is coming from. It was a weak show but that's what I expected. Darcy wasn't trying to be a comedian he was just himself. The others on the show could have easily taken anything said in another direction. Darcy might have had the chair but he's not almighty. Conversation could easily have taken different routes if others wished.
    As others have said, the show has suffered since O Brien left. He has a deft hand at handling these types of situations and I think he further proves that on Mock the Week. It's tight but effective unlike the Panel which now seems to drawl listlesly and inevitably to a crippled conclusion.
    None of the regular talent on the show have much staying power when it comes to TV. Guest hosts can be great sometimes but I think that type of thing has been done into the ground lately with Have I Got News For You and the like in recent years. The hosts of these types of shows are in themselves the centre pieces.
    O Brien was a very good reason for watching and I'm sure most viewers would still think of him when they think The Panel even though he's gone. Mark LeMarr and now Simon Amstell on Never Mind the Buzzcocks really hold the show together with a consistent style and sense of humour. The Panel is completely scatter shot and simply doesn't have the lode stone that was O Brien. I don't see it picking up especially and I'm already a little sick of the Offaly jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tlftw16

I used to watch the panel all the time until rte made it so that only people in Ireland could watch it. :mad::(

I started watching sometime late in 2006 after I stumbled across this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb8wVlph7Cc
    I found it hilarious.

I was going to ask if someone would post some of the funny bits on youtube or something, but it sounds like it wasn't that good :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

tlftw16 wrote: »
    I used to watch the panel all the time until rte made it so that only people in Ireland could watch it. :mad::(

I started watching sometime late in 2006 after I stumbled across this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb8wVlph7Cc
    I found it hilarious.

I was going to ask if someone would post some of the funny bits on youtube or something, but it sounds like it wasn't that good :(

Odd first post, anyway, you can see some past episodes here :

http://www.rte.ie/tv/thepanel/video.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

not the may west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tlftw16

Odd first post, anyway, you can see some past episodes here :

http://www.rte.ie/tv/thepanel/video.html

Yeah, a bit of an odd first post.
    sorry.

I can't watch the videos off the rte website because I don't live in Ireland. They (rte) changed their video player thing (some time in the summer) so that it would only play for people with IP addresses from Ireland, before I could watch episodes on there, in fact that's how I managed to watch all the episodes, because I don't live in Ireland or the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Good God he actually shushed Colin! I would have got up from my seat, picked it up and f@cked it at his white balding twat head. The patronising dull cnut. It's a wonder he did not bring up his daughter Kate a couple of times too like he does daily on the radio.

As someone else said The Panel is badly missing O'Brien. If they got a settled presenter who (was funny!) was there full time then I think it would improve. Let them build up a working relationship with Neil and Colin, get to know each others sense of humour and away ye go. Forget this crap of getting a guest presenter ever week who is not funny. Getting nobs like Darcy is just going to sink the show even further into the sh1t.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

Last night's panel was TERRIBLE. With D'Arcy as host, they were already a comedian down, and then theres the mandatory unfunny female panelist, so that means you only potentially have 3 funny people. That Jarleth Regan guy seemed slightly nervous and rigid the whole night. All in all, the show felt like a flat current affairs programme last night, and if they do have a differnent host each week, I shudder to think what tripe we might be getting in time if Z-list guest hosts like Lucy Kennedy are invited. One of RTEs only good shows seems dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

God I hate D'Arcy. I he's such a nicey nicey lick arsey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

staker wrote: »
    i hope he surprises me but i'd say he's too pedantic for humour imo

I think this probably sums last nights show up perfectly. I like Ray normally but he was out of his depth last night. Someone else said it was like Questions and Answers with Neil Delamare on it. Pretty accurate description TBF. Couldn't believe when he shushed colin murphy! His job is to set the conversation up and then let the panelists at it, not control everything himself! Also the bit where he was trying to understand where Duke Special got his name from, cringeworthy. Terrible editing throughout as well.

Oh well hopefully next week might be a bit better. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cjjc

Worst show ever! What a joke, but not a funny one - Ray D'Arsey is "funny, but not ha-ha funny!" Bring back RTE-2...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

D'Arcy was horrible and the OTT editing got on my tits.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭The Stig

Absolute tripe. . Worse show I've seen.
    Ray F*cking Dull Darcy.
    That clown thinks he was stepping in for John Bowman.
    I think i might have tickets for a show this month but judging by last night performance I am not to sure whether I could stomach 2 hours of that Sh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Shushing Colin Murphy and then getting all thick after he didn't understand the story on how Duke Special got his name....hes a pedantic grumpy little ****e...should never been given the job

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Whos doing it next week , anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭hot fuss

My God, just watched it online. I love The Panel usually but Ray Darcy was absolutely brutal. Neil Delamare was the only one actually making jokes! The Panel is not the place for ranting about the budget, education cuts etc.. so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Once D'Arcy cut Murphy off that made the decision for me and I switched over to the second episode of Brotherhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Last nite was the first time i was bored during the panel. The discussion between Kevin Myres, Aobheen Ni Shullibhan and Ray D'Arcy was deathly boring.
    Neil and Colin hardly got a word in at all!
    Someone needs to tell D'Arcy that The Panel is supposed to be mindless and random. He's trying to make it structured.
    The chat with Duke Special was verging on embarrassing. D'Arcy just made a big deal about where his name comes from.
    It's totally missing Dara but Colin did an ok job of it last year.
    Never let Ray D'Arcy near anything any good again
    (.... he can't ruin the Rose of Tralee.....)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I agree that the Panel last night was fairly rubbish, though I only got to see the last half seeing as some brilliant numnut in RTE decided to clash the programme with 8 out of 10 cats (far far superior to the Panel).

Ray D'Arcy was a bit tiresome. That Jarleth guy is not funny. Maybe he is on stand up or something that doesn't include interaction with people, but he wasn't funny last night. The girl that was one (can't remember her name) was also a bit serious, but better than Jarleth to watch. Delamare and Colin were both their usual funny-enough selves.

The Panel was brilliantly funny with: Dara O'Brien or your man Colin, or Delamare hosting and with Andrew Maxwell and even Ed Byrne (more funny because everyone picked on him) on the "teams". Actually, does anyone know the name of the woman that was pregnant the last time? She's actually a very decent participant on the show. The only funny woman I've seen on Irish TV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement