Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anomaly Scan Campaign

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 5unlover

Do u know the Internet is great for sum things,but sum times it would frightened the life out of u.tks for commenting

Count me in I have been reading all yer posts.health care in Ireland is such a joke.i have 2 pay 500euros for my scan.how can anybody afford this it's crazy.everyone should get Anomally scan.i think we have paid enough tax into the system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

5unlover wrote: »
    Count me in I have been reading all yer posts.health care in Ireland is such a joke.i have 2 pay 500euros for my scan.how can anybody afford this it's crazy.everyone should get Anomally scan.i think we have paid enough tax into the system

I have never heard anyone pay quite that much for a scan. Is it paying an extra fee charged by your private consultant or are you going to a scan clinic - babyscan.ie or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    I have never heard anyone pay quite that much for a scan. Is it paying an extra fee charged by your private consultant or are you going to a scan clinic - babyscan.ie or similar?

Maybe it was harmony test or panorama?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Where do you have to pay that? We paid 150 per anomaly scan in the private clinic in Holles Street. I know someone who had to wait over an hour for her scan in the same clinic and they didn't charge her because of the delay. Even private scanning clinics such as Babyscan don't charge 500 for any ultrasound pregnancy scan. Was it combined with other tests?

I haven't forgotten about this campaign BTW. I'd love input on what to do about getting things moving on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Millem wrote: »
    Maybe it was harmony test or panorama?

Well fair enough in that case. However the post made it sound as if it was an anomaly scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Great thread. I had both my children in the Rotunda as a public patient and had anomoly scans for both which were hughly reassuring. I can't believe this scan isn't available to all. I do agree its possibly partly down to the lack of TFMR here although the usual reasons of costs, cutbacks etc will be given.

Ocean Blue wrote: »

Hey my doctor recommended me to go private cause of my age,I am 43 so he rang the clinic and was quoted 500 euro I know I am shocked.

Hey my doctor recommended me to go private cause of my age,I am 43 so he rang the clinic and was quoted 500 euro I know I am shocked.

What clinic is it? Private clinics wouldn't charge that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

€500 seems really exorbitant. If you dig up a couple of price lists for private providers, they are quoting significantly less. I'd shop around if I were you!

http://www.imff.ie/pricing.cfm

http://corkmotherandbabyscans.ie/fees.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

lazygal wrote: »
    What clinic is it? Private clinics wouldn't charge that much.

I honestly think it must be for harmony or panorama test. I wonder if it was in early days of pregnancy like 9 weeks or 12 weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭ Vincenzo Dry Strap

Just as a matter of interest, where is the cheapest place to get a private anomaly scan done? They don't do them as standard in Limerick maternity so if they don't scan me at my next appointment, I'm going to book a private one. Cheapest I have found is €160 from ultrasoundsuite.ie in Dublin. It's disgraceful that anomaly scans aren't mandatory, my first scan this time was at 10 weeks, which is too early to tell anything really, and my next scheduled scan isn't until 28 weeks :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Just as a matter of interest, where is the cheapest place to get a private anomaly scan done? They don't do them as standard in Limerick maternity so if they don't scan me at my next appointment, I'm going to book a private one. Cheapest I have found is €160 from ultrasoundsuite.ie in Dublin. It's disgraceful that anomaly scans aren't mandatory, my first scan this time was at 10 weeks, which is too early to tell anything really, and my next scheduled scan isn't until 28 weeks :(

Keep an eye on the deals websites, I've seen them occasionally for €99 there. Also, do you have health insurance? My VHI covers up to €100 for one scan during pregnancy - I didn't actually find out about this until after the birth, however I was lucky enough to get regular scans anyways on the public system.

I'd say it would be worth ringing around the private scan centres, they could well be willing to do a good deal for you, especially if you'd be in a position to accept an appointment with short notice.

We paid 150 for an anomaly scan in the Merrion Clinic in Holles Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭yamiki

Some good news regarding the anomaly scans in Portiuncula (Ballinasloe) -
    They now DO offer anomaly scans! (a fetal wellbeing scan, they call it). It's optional, but sure why wouldn't you. From what I can see they started offering them since late 2013 - I know when I was there with my first, in early 2013, they didn't offer this scan, and it annoyed me to no end.
    Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

yamiki wrote: »
    Some good news regarding the anomaly scans in Portiuncula (Ballinasloe) -
    They now DO offer anomaly scans! (a fetal wellbeing scan, they call it). It's optional, but sure why wouldn't you. From what I can see they started offering them since late 2013 - I know when I was there with my first, in early 2013, they didn't offer this scan, and it annoyed me to no end.
    Happy days!

I was just told yesterday by a private scan company that they don't offer it there, after just reading this post a few hours earlier. That's great news, saves €100! I'm not surprised they offer it since late 2013 given just one birth I know of there last summer where a massive problem with the baby's body was missed by the staff until quite a few hours after birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 prutyok

Hi everyone! I am 19 weeks pregnant, going to Portiuncula , Ballinasloe Hospital. If its true that they offer the scan, how can i book it? Btw good luck with everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

prutyok wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I am 19 weeks pregnant, going to Portiuncula , Ballinasloe Hospital. If its true that they offer the scan, how can i book it? Btw good luck with everyone :)

Can you call and ask them, or ask at your 20 week scan?

Hi again ,I dont have a 20 weeks scan,had one at 14 weeks next one is when I am gona be 27 weeks :( asked my gp about the amomaly scan and he said you can get it if your pregnancy is high risk .

this makes me very sad,3 month without seeing the baby is fine :(

• Advertisement

prutyok wrote: »
    pm sent :) (this is OT to the thread, hence the PM)

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭lisa_celtic

I am 24 weeks and attending Portiunca in Ballinasloe.

I had a fetel well being scan at 20 weeks, this was optional but apparently only one consultant is offering them, and it is a trial so not everyone is offered it.

i am public, first child and got it, others i know who are private same doctor wernt offered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jeeney

I am 24 weeks and attending Portiunca in Ballinasloe.

I had a fetel well being scan at 20 weeks, this was optional but apparently only one consultant is offering them, and it is a trial so not everyone is offered it.

i am public, first child and got it, others i know who are private same doctor wernt offered it.

Hi lisa_celtic,

I've been offered a 20 week scan and am going public. As far as I could gather from my booking apt, it was available to anyone that wanted it (public patients that is).

Could I ask you at your 20 week scan, did you just report to out-patients in Portiuncula and wait your turn there? I can't remember where they told me to go, and just want to make sure! Also, how long roughly did it take you - were you there for a few hours or was it quick enough?

Thanks
    Jeeney

jeeney wrote: »
    Hi lisa_celtic,

I've been offered a 20 week scan and am going public. As far as I could gather from my booking apt, it was available to anyone that wanted it (public patients that is).

Could I ask you at your 20 week scan, did you just report to out-patients in Portiuncula and wait your turn there? I can't remember where they told me to go, and just want to make sure! Also, how long roughly did it take you - were you there for a few hours or was it quick enough?

Thanks
    Jeeney

Hi Jeeney,

You go to outpatients to book in then go up to the next floor down through the maternity ward and there is an early pregnancy unit in there that is where your scan is. We had a nurse called collette (i think) she was fantastic she talked through everything she was doing)

Can I ask what DR you are with?

Lisa

Great, thanks so much for confirming that Lisa! I'm under Dr. Brassil, but you know yourself you don't always get to see him. (I was under him with my second child and never saw him. But it doesn't matter as I never had any bother with the other doctors)

Can you remember how long it all took? (just that I have to head up the country after the apt, so hoping we won't be there all afternoon!)

thanks
    J

Great, thanks so much for confirming that Lisa! I'm under Dr. Brassil, but you know yourself you don't always get to see him. (I was under him with my second child and never saw him. But it doesn't matter as I never had any bother with the other doctors)

Can you remember how long it all took? (just that I have to head up the country after the apt, so hoping we won't be there all afternoon!)

thanks
    J

Ya I am under him to, met him at 12 weeks. AS far as I know, now i could be wrong it is just his patients trialling the scan.

My appointment was for 2 but she had to do an emergency scan on someone so I didnt get in till 2.45 and scan took 45mins as she could not get the angles needed as baby was moving so much. I have to go back next Tuesday to have it repeated.

Ya I am under him to, met him at 12 weeks. AS far as I know, now i could be wrong it is just his patients trialling the scan.

My appointment was for 2 but she had to do an emergency scan on someone so I didnt get in till 2.45 and scan took 45mins as she could not get the angles needed as baby was moving so much. I have to go back next Tuesday to have it repeated.

Thanks for that Lisa, most helpful. Yes, that probably makes sense that it's just his patients being trailled.

Good luck with your scan next week.

Hi lisa_celtic,

Thanks
    Jeeney

That's what I was told, out patients and they'll send you up :) three weeks to go, can't wait.

yamiki wrote: »
    That's what I was told, out patients and they'll send you up :) three weeks to go, can't wait.

Yamiki
    How was your anomaly scan? Hope you enjoyed it! I've mine end of next week, can't wait either! :)

• Advertisement

Yamiki
    How was your anomaly scan? Hope you enjoyed it! I've mine end of next week, can't wait either! :)

All good although I was waiting for two hours! And have to go back next week because she couldn't see the heart properly because of how baby was positioned. Might see you there :) she was ggreat, very thorough.

Advertisement