Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

He was resting last week! Doesn't like the course layout at Wentworth & avoids the place regularly.

He was actually injured mate..................

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

ssbob wrote: »
    I think he may play the memorial this week but he is definitely playing the US Open, remember Paddy is at his best when coming back from injury!!
    He isn't in the field for the memorial.

http://www.pgatour.com/2011/tournaments/r023/05/28/inside_the_field/index.html

sd
    Padraig Harrington insists he is feeling positive about his game despite being poised to drop outside the world's top-50 for the first time in over a decade.
    Since winning his third and final major crown to date at the USPGA Championship in 2008, the Dubliner has struggled to hit similar heights again.
    "I'm not panicking about dropping out of the top 50 and it's not in itself a big issue - there's a big summer ahead and I'm very happy with my game, what I'm doing and where I'm at. "
    Padraig Harrington Quotes of the week
    Although he emerged triumphant at the Irish PGA Championship in 2009 and the Iskandar Johor Open in Malaysia last year, further big titles have eluded the 39-year-old with his ranking now reflecting that drought.
    Harrington is currently on the sidelines recovering from a knee injury, but is scheduled to return to action at the St Jude Classic in Memphis next week just ahead of the US Open.
    He is far from despondent about his fall in the rankings and believes his game is actually in good shape with the busiest part on the season now on the horizon.
    "It's not through lack of trying and I feel my game's in great shape," he stated. "I think I'm in a position to go forward.
    "I'm not panicking about dropping out of the top 50 and it's not in itself a big issue - there's a big summer ahead and I'm very happy with my game, what I'm doing and where I'm at.
    "I'm doing the right things that will lead to results."
    Patience

With his two Open wins and USPGA victory ensuring he does not have to worry about his place at the majors, Harrington is confident he can soon be challenging for the games biggest prizes again.
    Indeed, a recent conversation with rugby union star and compatriot Brian O'Driscoll has convinced him that patience is the key to further success.
    "Three years ago they were writing that he (O'Driscoll) would have to leave Ireland because he'd won no trophies and it was time for a change," Harrington added.
    "Now he's falling over himself for trophies. Professional golf is the same - you go through periods where no matter how hard you try to win you just don't.
    "And you go through periods where you can't do anything wrong. It's a tough game and you just have to be patient."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭rednik

Come on Padraig let's see some of the old you, back to playing competitive golf where you belong.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

Padraig has been talking positively about his swing for the last couple of years but unfortunately his golf doesn't match his talk. I fear that he will continue to fall down the rankings for the rest of the year. I hope I'm wrong but he has no consistency what so ever, especially with his driving.

• Advertisement

Donald crediting Harrington as an inspiration.

http://www.pgatour.com/2011/tournaments/r023/06/01/donald_rise/
    But the Englishman was sidelined by surgery to his left wrist in 2008 right about the same time Padraig Harrington was winning his second and third majors that seminal summer. His Ryder Cup teammate's success certainly wasn't lost on Donald.
    "I think you need one guy
    to kind of inspire a generation to kind of follow in their footsteps," Donald said. "For me I guess that was probably Padraig Harrington winning his three majors back in 2008 while I was probably on the couch in a sling.

"I think when you're around people that you're pretty familiar with and see that they are accomplishing great things, it sets a little bit of a fire in your belly that if they can do it, so can I. I think we've got to thank his successes a little bit for this great run in European golf."

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭blackwaterfish

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/golf/13529106.stm

24 May 2011

World number three Martin Kaymer has credited Padraig Harrington for sparking the recent success of golfers based on the European Tour.
    Six of the current world's top 10 are European and the last four majors have been won by European Tour members.
    "He [Harrington] won two in 2008 - which was an unbelievable achievement - and I think everything started with him," said Kaymer.
    German Kaymer opened his major account at last year's US PGA Championship.
    That followed Graeme McDowell's US Open win and Louis Oosthuizen's Open Championship triumph, and the run of major successes for European Tour members was maintained by Charl Schwartzel's Masters victory last month.
    Kaymer pinpoints Harrington's Open win in 2007 and back-to-back major triumphs a year later at Royal Birkdale and the USPGA Championship as the victories that gave this batch of European-based players the belief they could take on the world.
    Speaking ahead of the BMW-PGA Championship at Wentworth, Kaymer said: "When I came on Tour there were a lot of guys I was impressed with and Harrington was definitely one of them.
    "When Graeme McDowell won the US Open, then in the next major Rory McIlroy all of a sudden was up there and Graeme showed him he could do it.

"It gives you motivation. It gives you the belief that it is not always about Tiger Woods. I said when Padraig won and when Graeme won that it is about other people as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Fair play to both I would say. It's not something hear or read in the media in relation to Harrington.

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    Fair play to both I would say. It's not something hear or read in the media in relation to Harrington.

Harry seems to have a lot of friends on tour so maybe they are trying to give him his confidence back.....................Kaymer and Donald both World No. 1's, great praise.

Monty is always banging on about Paddys "Stature" in the game but this shows the respect he has. It would be great to see him getting another major though, I think he deserves to be ahead of those on 3 majors(I also think Ernie should have about 6 tucked away by now but has been unluckky on a number of occassions)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭Trampas

drops to 51st

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭Trampas

nice steady round for ph.

16 pars 1 bogey and 1 birdie both on par 5's

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Jul3s

Trampas wrote: »
    nice steady round for ph.

16 pars 1 bogey and 1 birdie both on par 5's
    He's back.

Jul3s wrote: »
    He's back.

He's got the stare on...............what were his stats like? he hit many fairways?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

He's got the stare on...............what were his stats like? he hit many fairways?

Your sarcasm receptor seems to be malfunctioning ssbob. ;)

His tee to green stats were pretty respectable. Putting not great and missed a short birdie effort on the last hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

http://www.pgatour.com/players/02/07/66/scorecards/2011/r025.html

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    Your sarcasm receptor seems to be malfunctioning ssbob. ;)

His tee to green stats were pretty respectable. Putting not great and missed a short birdie effort on the last hole.

I reckon PH plays well when Tiger is playing well:D

Top ten in the US Open is a possibility if he can keep the ball in play!

On the cut line at the moment after 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Parky2010

missed a 2 footer for par on a par 5 :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 KKmanok

His short game is gone, and it has been for the last 18 months. I've been saying it to anybody who will listen for the last year.

When he does actually find the fairways he's making nothing on the green, I followed him on shot tracker last night on his back 9 he missed 2 guilt edge birdie chances 1 from 3ft9" AND 1 ftom 5ft, combine this with with taking a bogey on the par 5 when his drive was over 300yrds in the middle of the fairway,

Today already he 3 putts from 11ft for his first bogey and fails to get up and down from 24 yards in front of the green on the fairway for his second bogey and fails to grt up and down from 50 yards for his third bogey. I could give simmilar examples for most events he has played in 2010/2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

You're telling us the shape of his game based on shot-tracker? Good work! I had a quick look at his first round and thought I saw him getting up and down a few times. He's on the cut mark at the moment, really needs to stay there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Just seen the shot by shot, first shot to water on 18. Oh dear, another weekend off for PAdraig it looks like.

That is just incredible - all he had to do was par the last to make the cut and he finds the drink - Total inability to hold it together with any bit of pressure - this demise is quite sad and its turning out to be quicker than I expected, siding down the rankings at a dramatic rate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

how long was david toms out of the picture before he made the headlines recently ?

so paddy is going through a bad few years, it's not the end of the world for him or you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Just seen the shot by shot, first shot to water on 18. Oh dear, another weekend off for PAdraig it looks like.

you have got to be joking. par to make the cut and he snaps it in the water :eek: what a disaster Paddy is at the moment.

Yep, bogeys the last to likely miss the cut. The slide down the rankings continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Aidric wrote: »
    Yep, bogeys the last to likely miss the cut. The slide down the rankings continues.

still half the field to complete there round i presume and the course isnt that easy so i wouldnt be packing my bags just yet. Not the tournament he wanted before next weeks major.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

KKmanok wrote: »
    That is just incredible - all he had to do was par the last to make the cut and he finds the drink - Total inability to hold it together with any bit of pressure - this demise is quite sad and its turning out to be quicker than I expected, siding down the rankings at a dramatic rate

Very disappointing if he misses the cut but would you ever calm down with the sensationalist language? "Incredible" and "all he had to do was make a par". It is a very difficult hole and there will be plenty of 5's and worse scored on it over the week. Will everyone who fails to make par have "failed to cope with the pressure"? Robert Garrigus only needed a 6 to win on this hole last year and he failed to do so.

At +2 it is touch and go whether he will qualify or not. There are about 30 players on par & +1 who haven't even started their 2nd rounds yet. Padraig currently needs 8 of these to slip back to at least +2 which doesn't seem unrealistic if conditions are more difficult in the afternoon. Overall it's been a very frustrating season for him. There have been flashes of very good golf but the whole season has really been very stop-start. He has a decent run of events for the next two months but he could certainly do with playing 72 holes this week.

Martin567 wrote: »
    Very disappointing if he misses the cut but would you ever calm down with the sensationalist language? "Incredible" and "all he had to do was make a par". It is a very difficult hole and there will be plenty of 5's and worse scored on it over the week. Will everyone who fails to make par have "failed to cope with the pressure"? Robert Garrigus only needed a 6 to win on this hole last year and he failed to do so.

At +2 it is touch and go whether he will qualify or not. There are about 30 players on par & +1 who haven't even started their 2nd rounds yet. Padraig currently needs 8 of these to slip back to at least +2 which doesn't seem unrealistic if conditions are more difficult in the afternoon. Overall it's been a very frustrating season for him. There have been flashes of very good golf but the whole season has really been very stop-start. He has a decent run of events for the next two months but he could certainly do with playing 72 holes this week.

Martin don’t get me wrong - I really hope he makes the cut, but what is happening is shocking - forget about this event and the slide down the rankings....the most worrying stat for me is missing the cut in 4 out of the last 5 majors add missing the cut at the players (the so called 5th major) for the last 2 years. From where Paddy was in 07/08 this is horrendous and that is not being sensationalist, remember at the end of 07 he was a model of consistency - he won Europe’s order of merit for heaven’s sake –he is so inconsistent now its unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

KKmanok wrote: »
    Martin don’t get me wrong - I really hope he makes the cut, but what is happening is shocking - forget about this event and the slide down the rankings....the most worrying stat for me is missing the cut in 4 out of the last 5 majors add missing the cut at the players (the so called 5th major) for the last 2 years. From where Paddy was in 07/08 this is horrendous and that is not being sensationalist, remember at the end of 07 he was a model of consistency - he won Europe’s order of merit for heaven’s sake –he is so inconsistent now its unreal

He's been very inconsistent the last two years, no doubt about that. I still think you're being sensationalist though. Re the stats you've mentioned above, that's just how professional golf is, ups and downs. He's been very consistent for the past decade, spending at least 70% of that time in the Top 10. I think he's one of only 6 players who was ever-present in the Top 50 from 2000-2010. Lee Westwood dropped out of the top 200. Look at Sergio Garcia & Henrik Stenson, both Top 10 quite recently. Retief Goosen & Ernie Els are both a long way from their best. Paul Casey is having a terrible year. These things happen.

Maybe Padraig will find his best form again, maybe he won't. Either way, there's nothing terribly unusual about his current position. It's happened to lots of players before him and will happen to many in the future also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭rednik

He's given us quite a few years of great golf and in that time he remained in the top 10 or just outside. I hope he gets it together but being realistic it's going to be very hard for him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement