Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What age is old?

• 23-02-2008 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Ok, just wana no am i the only person that has a phobia of gettin old? im 26 and everyday it pops in to my head tat im coming towards 30...i still feel like there is loads i wana do but think i shud be settling down gettin married havin kids like all my friends but tat realy scares me...i am engaged bout 2 years but as the years go on the less i wana get married etc........I really the hate the idea of gettin old?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

So do I, so I've decided I'm not going to.
    Old age is a mental attitude. I've met some young people who were old before their time and some old people who will die young.
    It's your choice.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

23... my age...its horrid

tho anyone 23-30 will prob say their own age and 30 plus will say 40...and so on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

60+

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Planet Earth is very old.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

25???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I'm 30 in December and couldn't give a boll*x. Am I suddenly gonna go bald overnight? Nope!

Makes no difference whatsoever

just one thing men dont seem to have a prob wit gettin old not as much as women.like myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I remember a week after I turned 31 i was reading an article in the indo that more people in the US were turning to online vids due to the writers strike.

It went on to say "Especially among the young i.e. 16-30" - b*stard I thought!

I still feel quite young though. I remember thinking 31 was ancient - then again I can remember being 10 and thinking 16 was ancient so I guess your perspective changes over time.

I remember also an interview with Pope Jon Paul II before his death, he was talking about when he started as Pope and he said "When he was a young man" (he said it joking) - he was talking about when he was in his 60s!

Your only as old as you feel as they say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

80 + is old ! i am 2 months short of my 33rd b'day and feel no different to when i did 10 years ago!!

• Advertisement

i guess it depends on the person!....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Don't forget that your life can turn and change at any age.

For example,

James Dyson, 44 when the dyson vacuum cleaner launched in Japan
    Morgan Freeman, 52 when Driving Miss Daisy came out.

..and just for you JoeBloggs

JK Rowling, 31 when a publisher decided to take her on.

:)

PS - I'm a year older than you and I feel 21

tats the ting I still feel exactly the same as when i was 17 i realy tot when i was in my 20's that id feel more responsible etc but i dont .. tbh when i was 21 ...22 i said i cant wait to settle down have kids and now at 26 i feel so scared at the thought it makes me sick...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭steo123

ur as old as u feel ..ur only in ur 20s u should b enjoying urself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

23... my age...its horrid
    How on earth is 23 old or horrid? It's a brilliant age! If you feel like that at 23 you're gonna be absolutely miserable at 40 and you'll give your right arm to be 23 when that comes around.
    OP, "what age is old"? Obviously old age is old - so at least your 60s. Very bad idea to be worrying about getting older at 26 because you'll be longing to be 26 in a few years and you'll regret not appreciating it at the time. So just live for the moment and stop worrying about getting older - nothing terrible is gonna happen! And have some perspective. I was recently telling my gran who's nearly 91 that my friends (in their late 20s and early 30s) were getting freaked about getting older and she just got annoyed.

And of course you're gonna have the same anxieties that we all have about becoming more adult, more responsible etc (I think that stuff tends to start at 18) but getting older than you want to be is not the same as getting "old".

The amount of years you're alive/date on your birth cert hardly define who you are as a person. And you shouldn't define yourself according to those either.

• i am 30 in April, still feel 20

30 in May here - couldn't give a fukk. I feel great about myself (in fact a lot more confident than when I was 20) so why get bothered about my age? Not that there's anything terrible about 30, but according to some people the world apparently ends the day you turn 30...
    Hagar wrote: »
    So do I, so I've decided I'm not going to.
    Old age is a mental attitude. I've met some young people who were old before their time and some old people who will die young.
    It's your choice.
    Spot on. A lot of it is really all in the head.

Dudess wrote: »
    getting older than you want to be is not the same as getting "old".

The amount of years you're alive/date on your birth cert hardly define who you are as a person. And you shouldn't define yourself according to those either.

Thanx...wot u say makes sense...:)

You're welcome. And if you feel like you're not ready to settle down yet, then don't. It would be a big mistake. I know it's sometimes easier to just do what the crowd are doing, but you'd be doing yourself a huge disservice if that's not what you really want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

jessie37 wrote: »
    Ok, just wana no
    26, or 16? English please.

• Advertisement

Harsh, but yeah, 26 now is a lot younger than it was back in the day (some 26-year-olds are like older teenagers). When my dad was 26 (1972) he was in charge of building a dual carriageway in Dublin and was married with a kid. But that was 36 years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭charlesanto

jessie37 wrote: »
    What age is old?
    A year older than you are right now !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

55 here & still feel relatively young. With people living longer & being more active longer , I'd say you still might not be old in your mid 70's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

You are only old if you feel it. When you are no longer able to go out all weekend and get up for work on the monday thinking that you had a great weekend. When you make strange noises every time you rise from a chair or from your knees. I am totally fu**ed. All i need now is to start complaining all the time, oops ,I do that al ready. no hope for me. i do like the post about Morgan Freeman, makes me feel like I can at least change my life at any time. Sell up an move to Asia ,buy a bar and live like a king.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

0-27 Young
    27-54 Middle Aged
    55+ Old

Simple as...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    0-27 Young
    27-54 Middle Aged
    55+ Old

Simple as...

Oh jesus

Annnnyway, I think I'd much rather be 32 with the attitude of 22 than the other way around.

I work with people in their early twenties who have houses with their husbands and are planning to have kids.

All the stuff their gonna miss out on...plus if I was married to who I was with when I was 24 I'd be one sorry bastard now!!!

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    0-27 Young
    27-54 Middle Aged
    55+ Old

Simple as...
    Ye-ess. "Simple as". 27 to 39 is definitely middle-aged. Christina Aguilera (born in 1980) is the epitome of middle-aged.

What are you? 13?

And your "young" category - 0 to 27 - could probably be broken down slightly more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My immediate reaction to the question would be that young would be >35, whilst old would be 70+

In between can vary, but it'd be a case of 'older' rather then 'old'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Woo Hoo, I am less than 35................................................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

drunkenness [snip]

Advertisement