Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

I know someone who wouldn't "risk" garlic during her last pregnancy??? I never heard of garlic on a list of what not to eat. I ate it all the time when I was pregnant. :confused:

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Garlic?

Vampire baby? Was she a big twilight fan? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Garlic, I kid you not! Mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Just wondering if any of you were measuring bigger at your hospital appointments? My fundal measurement puts me 2 weeks nearly 3 ahead :/ I know my dates are not out by this much. If you were did the development level out or had you to be scanned?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Kaylami

Just wondering if any of you were measuring bigger at your hospital appointments? My fundal measurement puts me 2 weeks nearly 3 ahead :/ I know my dates are not out by this much. If you were did the development level out or had you to be scanned?
    Fundal measurement can be way out. I was measuring 2 /3 weeks behind with my youngest consultant kept saying baby is too small.

Had a development scan all was measuring fine. Saw the consultant the following week same story too small.

She was born 3 days later at 8 lb 13

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

My fundal measurements were also 2-3 weeks ahead and they'd told me to prepare for a BIG baby. He came on his due date at 8lb4oz. There was a lot of amniotic fluid which made my bump a lot bigger but bubs was a nice healthy size when I was preparing for him to weigh a lot heavier. There really is an element of guess work involved so don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Ladies I am looking for some advice. Since the start of my pregnancy I have been getting nose bleeds. I am 10 weeks and they have increased in frequency to the point that I am getting at least one every other day. I have read online that it is a fairly normal pregnancy symptom especially if you are prone to allergies or sinus infections but every other days seems a lot does it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Ms Tootsie wrote: »
    Ladies I am looking for some advice. Since the start of my pregnancy I have been getting nose bleeds. I am 10 weeks and they have increased in frequency to the point that I am getting at least one every other day. I have read online that it is a fairly normal pregnancy symptom especially if you are prone to allergies or sinus infections but every other days seems a lot does it not?

Hi ms tootsie, epistaxis or nosebleeds are a common symptom of pregnancy unfortunately. However, nose bleeds can also be a sign of high blood pressure. So if you feel they are happening a lot and increasing in frequency I would ringg your hospital and consult a midwife or doctor. You may need to go in and have your blood pressure checked just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Thanks for this Sligo1 I never thought of that actually. I was getting them before the pregnancy (though no where near as frequent) and they put it down to allergies which is why I automatically assumed it was the same thing now. Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Just opened a delivery of stuff I ordered online for the baby... Wow! The newborn hat and scratch mittens are so small! Can't wait to show my husband when he gets home haha he's going to freak out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Just opened a delivery of stuff I ordered online for the baby... Wow! The newborn hat and scratch mittens are so small! Can't wait to show my husband when he gets home haha he's going to freak out

Its amazing how tiny they are :) I could do with getting a start on buying a few bits. Where did you order from? Have you found out if your having a girl or boy or are they neutral :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Aww, you're hubby will be so excited :)

I remember with my first I washed everything before putting it away in the baby's room. My husband came home from work to little vests drying everywhere and his face lit up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I got the stuff from Tescos website, they had an offer for spend 25 on baby and get 5 off which basically gave free delivery. I got loads of vests, some bibs, hats, scratch mittens, babygros, socks for under €50 and have heard their stuff washes well! Ah Woshy it's so cute seeing them so excited, I think the whole experience so far has just made me fall in love with him all over again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

Omg I love tesco stuff. We have so much from there already. Everytime I go I can't resist. Last week I got a little gro that says mummy and daddy's little star born in 2015 :D it's just unbelievably doty and cute :D

Tesco stuff is fab - I get loads there. It's def the best place for vests and baby gros. I find the sizing accurate and the stuff washes very well too.

I bought some new baba stuff there today actually. I have bags and bags of clothes from baba number one but I just couldn't resist buying a few pink things for number 2 :)

I bought a little vest that says Daddy's gorgeous girl and my husband was all chuffed when he saw it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

My only complaint about the Tesco stuff, and it's a teeny, tiny one is that in the multi/double packs of babygros, one of them can be an over the head one as opposed to the usual button down the front. Not a huge issue really but when baby was really small I used find them very awkward to put on. Overall, the clothes are good value and wash well. Definitely quite true fitting too.

That's a good point Roesy! My husband refused point blank to deal with the over the head babygros, they were just too much trouble for him, I'd forgotten completely about that until you said it. We're past the babygro stage with baba number one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Woshy wrote: »
    That's a good point Roesy! My husband refused point blank to deal with the over the head babygros, they were just too much trouble for him, I'd forgotten completely about that until you said it. We're past the babygro stage with baba number one :)

Got a present of two Jasper Conran 0-3 month babygros when she was born and one of them buttoned down the back!!
    We're pretty much gone past it too. Mine is 14 months and rarely wears them. She did have a fleecy sleep suit on this morning and was pottering around the house all business. She looked ridiculously cute and a bit more of a baby again. ah well, we'll be back to the babygros this summer.

I know - there is something so cute about seeing them walk about in babygros. My boy has a few sleepsuits with feet on them and seeing him in them all clean after his bath is just the cutest :)

Never realised there was a difference in gro's :eek: I've a lot to learn :D

• Advertisement

Allirog wrote: »
    Never realised there was a difference in gro's :eek: I've a lot to learn :D

It's all ahead of you :D

Top tip from me is that baby vests (and some babygros) have little seams on the shoulders so that you can pull the arms down off the baba's shoulders and pull the vest down their body instead of over their head if you wany. It's useful for poo blowouts when you don't want to pull a pooey vest over their little mouth and nose :)

http://maternityandinfant.ie/weve-using-babygrows-wrong-along/

I'm sure I'll learn quick enough :D

Thanks for that link!! Very helpful

It's all ahead of you :D

Top tip from me is that baby vests (and some babygros) have little seams on the shoulders so that you can pull the arms down off the baba's shoulders and pull the vest down their body instead of over their head if you wany. It's useful for poo blowouts when you don't want to pull a pooey vest over their little mouth and nose :)

http://maternityandinfant.ie/weve-using-babygrows-wrong-along/

Brilliant!!! I never knew this. Lol. And I've 2! :)

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Brilliant!!! I never knew this. Lol. And I've 2! :)

Lol! :D

I learned it a bit too late for it to be really useful on my first. It would have been very helpful in the early days when you feel like you're constantly changing their clothes. There is still the occasional poo leakage that it helps with though!

Lol! :D

I learned it a bit too late for it to be really useful on my first. It would have been very helpful in the early days when you feel like you're constantly changing their clothes. There is still the occasional poo leakage that it helps with though!

Defo agree. My 2 year old is out of them but my 10month still wears them. But would have been so handy in the early stages. Hated having to manouver poo explosions over their little heads. I think we're going to be trying again soon for number 3 (fingers crossed)... So that's definitely something I will remember if we do get lucky with a third :).

Well hopefully number three will be along soon and the tip will come in handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Lol at you all :) I don't know if I'd have conceived in the first place if I hadn't been fully briefed in the wonders of the emergency, down leg, one handed vest roll! We've had some epic poonamis and I think the person who invented this particular feature should be given a Nobel prize!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭greenorchard

I'm thinking about doing one of the gentle birth workshops. Looking on the main website, gentlebirth.ie & they don't list any workshops this year. They do have a list of instructors but there seems to be quite a few of them in Dublin. Has anyone been to one of the workshops & if so can they recommend a particular instructor, preferably Dublin based? Was it worth it or would the CDs be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

I did mine with Nuala and Sheila Sheridan. Their details are on the gentle birth site or pm me. I had a great labour this time around and used everything I learnt. Home after twelve hours following a natural labour. Course was especially good for my husband.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭greenorchard

Thanks fall. How far along were you when you went to the workshop? If I go in may I'll be around 30 weeks but I'm wondering if earlier would be better

Advertisement