Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoulder pain from sleeping on my side

• 16-04-2013 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I am not looking for medical advise.

Was wondering does anybody else get this? Normally I sleep on my front but often I will wake up on my left side and my shoulder will be very sore. Normally when I get up, move around, stretch and it's fine and has never stopped me from training but the last week its got worse so I've had to give upper body training a rest.

So again I'm not looking for medical advise, if my shoulder pain continues I will go see a physio but for the moment I'll wait and see does the break from training help. I just want to know do others get something similar to this? if so what do you do? as I don't want it to affect my training.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Ant11 wrote: »

Was wondering does anybody else get this? Normally I sleep on my front but often I will wake up on my left side and my shoulder will be very sore. Normally when I get up, move around, stretch and it's fine and has never stopped me from training but the last week its got worse so I've had to give upper body training a rest.

So again I'm not looking for medical advise, if my shoulder pain continues I will go see a physio but for the moment I'll wait and see does the break from training help. I just want to know do others get something similar to this? if so what do you do? as I don't want it to affect my training.

99% of my shoulder injuries have occured while I was unconscious. I've often woken up with a rotator cuff tear. In fact right now I have something going on with my shoulder/trap/neck area on the left that I'm pretty sure is related to my pregnant wife totally taking advantage of her condition and boxing me for "breathing on her" at night so I have to sleep on my left every night, all night.

So yeah it is probably sleep/pregnancy related. Congratulations by the way. Oh wait that's me. Whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭COH

kevpants wrote: »
    99% of my shoulder injuries have occured while I was unconscious. I've often woken up with a rotator cuff tear. In fact right now I have something going on with my shoulder/trap/neck area on the left that I'm pretty sure is related to my pregnant wife totally taking advantage of her condition and boxing me for "breathing on her" at night so I have to sleep on my left every night, all night.

So yeah it is probably sleep/pregnancy related. Congratulations by the way. Oh wait that's me. Whatever.

Bunk beds?

You'll have more space for activities....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I'd agree with Kev, although I've yet to experience the pregnant partner experience!

I'd say try to fall sleep flat on your back & see how much sleep you can get in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Was literally only talking to someone about this the other day. I used to get A LOT of shoulder pain when I was younger from sleeping on my side/shoulder. I dont suffer from it as much anymore, but generally I'll wake up a couple of times a month with a horrible aches in my shoulders

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Will try sleep on my back tonight, doubt I will stay in that position but will see how I get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Every so often I get a pain in my right shoulder, a night sleeping on my front with a pillow under my left shoulder so my weight pushes my right shoulder back sorts it out.
    Congrats on the minipants btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

I usually sleep on side but have a rotator cuff tear that wont go away so it wakes me up when im on that side. But I also have a pec tear on the other side so cant sleep on my front. And turning over really hurts. So can only sleep on one side.

(sorry for a useless and sel-fpitying post! :pac:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Lolz twilight zone. Was talking to someone today about the exact same thing. I'm convinced prolonged lying on my side with Bent legs has caused a hip/quad issue too.

Hanley wrote: »
    Lolz twilight zone. Was talking to someone today about the exact same thing. I'm convinced prolonged lying on my side with Bent legs has caused a hip/quad issue too.

I slept like that for a while and it coincided with a pain in my knee on the higher leg, thankfully it went away once I went back to sleeping in 'passed out drunk' position

Every so often I get a pain in my right shoulder, a night sleeping on my front with a pillow under my left shoulder so my weight pushes my right shoulder back sorts it out.
    Congrats on the minipants btw!

Currently testing your pillow theory out. Do you fold the pillow over that's under your shoulder coz having it flat seems the same.

• Advertisement

Currently testing your pillow theory out. Do you fold the pillow over that's under your shoulder coz having it flat seems the same.

It depends on the pillow, half the ones on my bed I just throw on the floor at night as theyre so skinny, the one I use would be pretty thick but we're all different shapes and sizes so whatever works for you really

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭imnothim

my swimming teacher told me that muscle is heavier than fat. I assume that because I sleep on my back the fat rises past the heavier muscle tissue and this leads to fat retention around the stomach area. Anybody else suffer from this?

It depends on the pillow, half the ones on my bed I just throw on the floor at night as theyre so skinny, the one I use would be pretty thick but we're all different shapes and sizes so whatever works for you really

Cheers deadlybuzzman, pillow worked a charm. Kept me in the same position all night too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Not saying trigger points are the issue here but if it is this self release technique could be the fix & most of the time gives instant relief!

or I now answer 90% of joint issues with "voodoo floss the **** out of it" because I like to throw all my eggs into 1 basket! ;)Not really but it works!

Compress it for around the 2-3 minute/when it gets too tingly mark! move it through all plane of motion!!!

Advertisement