Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

guys guys guys, i love a joke more than most in this depressing country, but those jokes are so terribly sad

Yeah you're right, any chance we can make fun of something else on another car? The octavia jokes have just hit rock bottom alright..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

166man wrote: »
    Good choice, EPM and TestTransmission hate those jokes these days... :D

We also hate the obligatory Alfa estate recommendations... But TT drives jap scrap ;)

He learned his lesson!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

EPM wrote: »
    Sat nav should be waiting for me at home tomorrow...
    which sat nav you getting? :)

We also hate the obligatory Alfa estate recommendations... But TT drives jap scrap ;)

He learned his lesson!

''Hate obligatory Alfa estate recommendations''? Harsh words EPM. Funny I wrote that long post to be helpful to other boards members. If you don't like it don't read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

careful now!

whats the story with your radios EPM. am i right in saying, you had the standard one, then upgraded to touchscreen, sold touchscreen, went back to standard, and now buying another touchscreen?

im all wrong :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

Right,
    serviced my car the other day, done the front break pads, discs good, no damage, topped up break fluid, didnt over fill.
    driving into work today, had to break suddenly at the traffic lights, like i always dorolleyes.gif, lol, anyway once i stop hand break light come onconfused.gif

anyway put handbreak on/off a few times, same with the peddle, still oneek.gif.... the car stops as normal, peddle didnt sink ect. fluid still at max.

moved off and it went.

Going home tonight, driving around a corner, lil fast, it comes on again, when it came on my foot wasnt on the peddle, so what did i f**king do wrong....

By the way its an astra

Thanks

tighten the handbrake cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Rich11 wrote: »
    Right,
    serviced my car the other day, done the front break pads, discs good, no damage, topped up break fluid, didnt over fill.
    driving into work today, had to break suddenly at the traffic lights, like i always dorolleyes.gif, lol, anyway once i stop hand break light come onconfused.gif

anyway put handbreak on/off a few times, same with the peddle, still oneek.gif.... the car stops as normal, peddle didnt sink ect. fluid still at max.

moved off and it went.

Going home tonight, driving around a corner, lil fast, it comes on again, when it came on my foot wasnt on the peddle, so what did i f**king do wrong....

By the way its an astra

Thanks

never mind...just seen you said levels still good!!! Might be the level sensor??

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

tighten the handbrake cable?

Still have to put new rear break shoes and adjust handbreak so hopefully thats it!

''Hate obligatory Alfa estate recommendations''? Harsh words EPM. Funny I wrote that long post to be helpful to other boards members. If you don't like it don't read it.

I'm pulling the piss. If I found a decent 159 at the time I'd have bought it!

• Advertisement

damo86 wrote: »
    which sat nav you getting? :)

Full Columbus. It costs a bit but makes the car.

Full Columbus. It costs a bit but makes the car.

Do i smell?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Do i smell?

Never stood close enough to you to notice :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

vectra wrote: »
    Never stood close enough to you to notice :pac:

You don't have to, can't you get it from where you are?? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Right,

moved off and it went.
    By the way its an astra

Thanks

Did you have to take a pad wear sensor off on one of the front pads as you were taking it out? And forgot to put it on the new pad? Sounds like a sensor issue to me.

Ah right apologies then man! I do agree it's tough finding a decent 159 in Ireland though, many of them have low spec and high miles! No more octavia jokes for me now... :D

careful now!

whats the story with your radios EPM. am i right in saying, you had the standard one, then upgraded to touchscreen, sold touchscreen, went back to standard, and now buying another touchscreen?

im all wrong :o

Basically, the original replacement worked better. With older cars as the gateway (how it talks to the car) changed around 07 or 08. So to have it perfect I sold it and tracked down the correct one.

Basically, the original replacement worked better. With older cars as the gateway (how it talks to the car) changed around 07 or 08. So to have it perfect I sold it and tracked down the correct one.

Amazing what a shower can do :D

Ah right apologies then man! I do agree it's tough finding a decent 159 in Ireland though, many of them have low spec and high miles! No more octavia jokes for me now... :D

The exec spec ruined it a bit too. There's no sense to them. No cruise, some have climate, some don't. Some have mfsw, some don't. Some have alloys, some don't. Goes on, there's little consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The exec spec ruined it a bit too. There's no sense to them. No cruise, some have climate, some don't. Some have mfsw, some don't. Some have alloys, some don't. Goes on, there's little consistency.

They sound like the fleet special that Alfa introduced in 2007/2008. Very cheap OMV to keep the BIK down, no alloys and crap seat cloth, but Blue & Me and Nav for the fleet market.

Decent set of wheels would transform the look, and you might be able to pick up a leather interior from a crashed one.

• Advertisement

R.O.R wrote: »
    They sound like the fleet special that Alfa introduced in 2007/2008. Very cheap OMV to keep the BIK down, no alloys and crap seat cloth, but Blue & Me and Nav for the fleet market.

Decent set of wheels would transform the look, and you might be able to pick up a leather interior from a crashed one.

Sounds about right. Could never figure out how the nav worked. The radio looked standard.

It's a pity as before that a nice Lusso spec wasn't too hard to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Yeah I looked at buying a 159 when I was selling my GT but theres none around with the right specs. For me an Alfa without leather seats for example is a no. And for the car they are I'd expect cruise and a/c as standard but they're not! .. I tried selling the GT privately but got stupid offers so traded it in and got a far better deal / price with a dealer :eek:
    Meant I couldnt go to the UK lookin for a decent 159 though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Right,

moved off and it went.

By the way its an astra

Thanks

Check for leaks around the brake caliper bleed nipple.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The mothers TT has been spluttering the odd time when taking off, and lately it's been right rough idling and today it started to cut out, so I said I'd have a look lol.

Turned it on, idle rough. Unplugged airflow, no rough idle. Drove it around the block, stopped, started, on and off and it was perfect. Plugged it back in and the rough idle started straight away.

So, I bought Airflow cleaner (8 euro) and soaked it in it. Leaving it dry out for an hour now and I'll throw it back in again and see does it work.

Used airflows are about €50, new ones from a motor factors, but a bosch replacement, is €105 including.

New from Frank Hogans, €135+ for the same thing :rolleyes:

I'll let ye know if Mr. Airflow cleaner does it's trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If it doesn't, tetraethanol from Maplins usually does. (Think that's the name, been a while since I bought it).

Owen wrote: »
    If it doesn't, tetraethanol from Maplins usually does. (Think that's the name, been a while since I bought it).

To be honest, this was more of a curiosity exercise than anything, she's keeping the car and keeps it very well so I'll probably order a new one next week eitherway.

Absolute ****, didn't do a thing, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

The mothers TT has been spluttering the odd time when taking off, and lately it's been right rough idling and today it started to cut out, so I said I'd have a look lol.

Turned it on, idle rough. Unplugged airflow, no rough idle. Drove it around the block, stopped, started, on and off and it was perfect. Plugged it back in and the rough idle started straight away.

So, I bought Airflow cleaner (8 euro) and soaked it in it. Leaving it dry out for an hour now and I'll throw it back in again and see does it work.

Used airflows are about €50, new ones from a motor factors, but a bosch replacement, is €105 including.

New from Frank Hogans, €135+ for the same thing :rolleyes:

I'll let ye know if Mr. Airflow cleaner does it's trick.

try sere motors in belfast. i got one for the leon during the summer for £70

sean1141 wrote: »
    try sere motors in belfast. i got one for the leon during the summer for £70

Big + 1

Dave in parts there is the soundest parts guy I've ever dealt with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Got a small parcel today.

sub.jpg

Bloody hell, might need a roof rack for this thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement