Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GC "Blue screen of death"?

• 22-12-2002 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭

Bought my gc in smyths yesterday wit the great 3 for 2 game offer :) anyways i was in the middle of playin eternal darkness today and was fightin one of those big ass monster dudes and suddenly the blue screen of death came up, exactly like on a pc.

it said "unexpected fatal error cause on module etc etc........ press any key to continue" after a couple of seconds it went away but i was dead and didnt save :mad:

is this normal? or should i bring the console back or get it checked out or somethin

cheers
    Jimmeh :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Q: Is it normal on a PC? A: No

Bring the thing back the blue screen of death is a warning sign my friend that something is going terribly wrong and untreated could leave you without your GC for a while.

And besides that your paid your money your entitled to something that works 100% of the time not for something that throws up a blue screen when your kicking the bad guys ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

probably a once off thing, but if you're in doubt about if failing over chrimbo bring it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

LOL.... I'm pretty sure it was an insanity effect in the game. I think if you'd left it for another few seconds, it would have continued where you left off! How empty was your insanity meter?

The GC has nothing at all to do with Windows, so seeing a windows-style BSOD is a bit suspicious. :)

My favourite insanity effects include
    a message on screen saying "please insert your gamecube controller 1" and a very realistic-looking bug crawling across the screen.

- Dave.

(Post edited for extremely mild spoilers.... sheeeesh!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

timb has it clicked theres no fooling you

P L E A S E

warn others of potential spoilers

edit : nice touch TmB ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

he, he .... you bought a game cube.

I would have expected the gc to have a differant colour screen insted of the usual microsoft blue.... strange that. I would bring it back and throw it in their faces. ..... then spend more money on my pc ... but that just me. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Can some one solve my blue cd of death problem on my ps2 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yes, clean your laser. Also, apparently if you keep your PS2 horizontal, the laser doesn't go fubar as quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

lol, thought it might b the ole insanity as my meter was really low, it scared the **** out of me the first time it happened and i started to shrink into the floor. holy ****! the controller message was cause of the meter?? that happened the me wen i was fightin these zombie dudes and i jumped up out of my seat and started jamming the controller into the port. i had completed 3 chapters without saving wen it screen came up :mad:

[btw winters, yes i did buy a gamecube, it was a "merry christmas me" present :p

[hope i can find the receipt:( ]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Heh, read the back of the box, the insanity effects are meant to effect both the character AND the player.

There are loads and loads of effects to freak out the player. For most of the game I left my insanity meter purposely low, I thought they made it too easy to "magic it up" again after putting so much effort into the effects themselves.

matt

so your sayin that it WAS the insanity meter?? must look this up on the net, cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Id imagine so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

laf

Yes, its the insanity meter. This is one of the most humourous posts i have read on boards.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

ROFL, yep thats the insanity meter. If you'd bothered to read the manual you'd know that ;)
    I love the way the perspective changes the lower your insanity gets. Not to mention the blood rolling down, the the knocking doors as the girl.

damn silicon knights making me look like a fool in front of all my cool boards friends, how i spite thee

/me goes and hides in shame :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Heh - I know so many people who turned off their PS2s in frustration when
    MGS2 gave them game over screen for no apparent reason, in the vaguely insane bit inside Arsenal Gear...

(Personally, I turned it off in frustration when Jack and Rose launched into their fourth hour-long codec conversation featuring dialogue that would make George Lucas wince.)

Hehe I hated that part of MGS2, it was quite head wreaking to say the least and I just made myself a cup of tea during the codec bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

The knocking.....it was the GAME!!

Actually the 'banging-on-door' bit in the mansion really made me jump. Which is perfectly reasonable when you're sleep-deprived, playing at 2am, there's a big Xmas tree to your left not to mention a 2-foot doll hovering just outside your field of vision.

The small statue with the moving head freaked me out as well.

Didn't mind the blood. But that's me. :D

Excellent game. Glad I got it as Star Wear: Rouge Leather isn't quite the ownage-inducer I thought it'd be. No wonder Game has a skip full of them for 20euros.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,795 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In MGS2 when Campbell told me i was playing the game too much I found myself strangly agreeing with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Am..I'm sorry,.....I assume that the key to my confuzzlemetn was contained in the edited-out portions of TmB's and theciscokid's posts.
    What game is the insanity meter in?
    What platform is it for?
    And the BSOD sounded like a dodgey memory leak/exception until this insanity thingy came in.

And MGS2 just sucked balls tbh.
    A lactose extraction procedure if ever there was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The game is Eternal Darkness on the Gamecube. You have health, magic and sanity meters. The gimmick is that as you encounter monsters, they drain your sanity. The lower your sanity meter, the more you see these 'strange' effects. To increase your sanity again, you have to 'finish' the monsters (simply a case of hitting the 'b' button while standing beside them before they disappear of their own accord).

The effects are fun, but by the time you get to chapter 6 or 7, you have spells to counter it so you don't see it as much (unless you deliberately let it run down!).

For more info and a full list of insanity effects, see here:

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/file/eternal_darkness_sanity.txt

Great game, by the way. One of the best the gamecube has to offer (and a definite move away from the usual cutesy stuff Nintendo has to offer!)

- Dave.

• Advertisement
Advertisement