Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭phaethon

and one of the rarest badge, what I have so far, 2nd Battalion pouch pocket badge.

20647889ec42df_l.jpg

to understand a size

20647891cad4eb_l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

phaethon wrote: »
    and the second one

20355911870181_l.jpg

20355907168ec4_l.jpg

Stay online I've a couple of post cards for viewing.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/

My great grandfather fought in Gallipolli with the 6th RDF and then with the 1st RDF.My wife's great grandfather was in the 2nd RDF and died 21st March 1918 in the battle of Pozieres .

Hi all,

Summer is over and I am back:D. Here is my next find - very nice raffle ticket, what was printed in Dublin, in order to support POW's. I don't think there can be many of these around.

21322849b412af_l.jpg

213228514bb353_l.jpg

• Advertisement

and Saturday I found one more sweetheart brooch what I didn't had. Never too many of these!;)

2129563365733b_l.jpg

Today's catch;)

I picked up one great specially printed card to the regiment. Especially I like it because it is from 1920 and shows 1st Battalion gallantry moments from WW1 - landing in Gallipoli on the SS "River Clyde" ... and of course, card is printed just two years before disbandment!

I know the house in Dublin, where it was discovered, so hopefully one nice research project as well.

21385733fdc5ab_l.jpg

pages inside

First page shows "From the members Sgt mess"

21385735559f9f_l.jpg

21385737b01fe7_l.jpg

middle page is one large picture

21385739560904_l.jpg

21385743d705a5_l.jpg

Next arrival;). Great and I quess scarse dispandment certificvate for service in the regiment. "The Blue Caps" volume 3 shows exact same card to 1st Battalion. Mine is for 2nd Battalion. So, one more to find!!!:D

It is pretty big and on the carboard.

21441179a3f213_o.jpg

I can't figure out soldier's name. Also regimental number is weird and long meantime I have seen similar ones on the award lists.

21441181a81a11_l.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

Another nice piece you have there.

In regard to the number its from the new batch the Dubs were issued in 1920 (I think)

Thanks! Yeah, I am sure now as well that the number must come from 1920 patch.

Here is one more Christmas card from 1917 what I got. At this time not Battalion level but Divisonal instead. Still, I think its great and especially because very interesting middle section!

2145151701e7dc_o.jpg

in the middle

21451625ef37e7_l.jpg

Really nice, isn't it? And the good part... it became with the envelope, so I have soldier's name. I have to do some research and find out which Irish battalion that lad was in. Hopefully Dubs!

• Advertisement

Here is my next find - 4th (Reserve) Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers single card from the deck.

This unit was designed mainly for a soldiers who were recovering from their wounds or waiting results from medical comission, so why not spend some time and play cards?;)

2149348395d44a_o.jpg

Today's arrival: 2nd Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers - Battalion Orders, 8 March, 1895 by battalion commander. Quetta.

Does someone know how often these Battalion Orders were printed (daily bases I presume because next day Orderly Officer is mentioned?), how these orders were kept, how many copies they may produced, etc? Looks like it is done on the good quality paper by proper press, so, I presume that there was reason for that and they produced many copies. Meantime I haven't seen them floating around.

Interesting paper and I am very pleased to have it :)

21624235c2e239_o.jpg

Todays pick up is from 1967!!!!! :)

Ticket and schedule to the Royal Dublin Fusiliers Talana Re-Union dinner

2167074934204c_o.jpg

21670751aca73d_o.jpg

pretty expencive at this time I think

2167075304890e_o.jpg

I am constantly short of time. Anyway, here is some new items, what I have been managed to find

RDF sweetheart brooch:

218921895763c9_o.jpg

6th Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers lance Corporal Byrne's silver shooting award from 1914.

21931545dc4759_o.jpg

My next pick up arrived today all the way from Australia. This one wasn't cheap bought but very unusual design catched my eyes + RDF brooches do not show up often, so most of my this month student grant was well spent;)
    Does any of you have seen similar designs and can determinate the period and the maker?

22010877d7b2ec_l.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

nice lookig badge.

I got a nice RDF band postcard which I have attached. i also attached a postcard from 1915 which is partly hand painted with some shamrock glued to it.

Very nice! I really like that band shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭The Dragon

Excellent thread. Thank you for sharing your RDF collections.

The RDF website for anyone who does not know it. www.royaldublinfusiliers.com

Does anyone have any RDF tunics in their collections? Did any of these tunics survive?

All the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

The Dragon wrote: »
    Does anyone have any RDF tunics in their collections? Did any of these tunics survive?

All the best

I have a mock up of one for display purposes but this one is in Collins barracks in the soldiers and Chiefs exib.

kabakuyu wrote: »
    I have a mock up of one for display purposes but this one is in Collins barracks in the soldiers and Chiefs exib.

Thanks for that photo. That tunic looks great.

Do original RDF tunics ever come up for sale of are they too rare?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

The Dragon wrote: »
    Thanks for that photo. That tunic looks great.

Do original RDF tunics ever come up for sale of are they too rare?

I have never come across one Dragon, but I have seen the RDF scarlet tunic for sale once.I think they were last worn in mid 1914.

I thought those tunics would be scarce. Thanks again for the photo's

I attended the show in The North Star Hotel over the weekend. I saw alot of Irish regimental stuff because this time I was keeping an eye out. Alot of Royal Irish trio's ranging from €200 - €250. Munster Fusilier, Connaught Ranger and Leinster trio's were also ranging from €200 - €250.

I saw two nice RDF cap badges which were both priced at €50 euro, one in particular was very nice. The only RDF trio I saw for sale at the show was for €1600. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 molders

Hi, didn't make the North Star yesterday (actually forgot it was on) but heres a couple of photos of a Royal Dublin Fusiliers Captains tunic that I have in my collection. Apart from some moth grazing its in pretty good shape.

molders wrote: »
    Hi, didn't make the North Star yesterday (actually forgot it was on) but heres a couple of photos of a Royal Dublin Fusiliers Captains tunic that I have in my collection. Apart from some moth grazing its in pretty good shape.

Thank you for the pictures. Great tunic. There's another fair in the not too distant future anyway. As I already mentioned prices for RDF items were through the roof so I assume the next fair will be the same. :)

Advertisement