Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jailbreak Sky hd box

• 15-06-2011 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys, I was thinking of getting rid of my Sky sub and I was wondering if it is possible to jailbreak the box so that I can continue to use the record function. (moderater I think this is legal as the box is legally mine, but if this is a problem for you then no worries you can delete the thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Hey Guys, I was thinking of getting rid of my Sky sub and I was wondering if it is possible to jailbreak the box so that I can continue to use the record function. (moderater I think this is legal as the box is legally mine, but if this is a problem for you then no worries you can delete the thread)

Not possible,if you want a box that records free channels get a Humax pvr or similar.Lots of threads here on what's the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Its for the bin when you remove the Sky card. Will work for normal FTA but you'll not be able to re-arrange the channels. Should have bought a decent box in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Its for the bin when you remove the Sky card. Will work for normal FTA but you'll not be able to re-arrange the channels. Should have bought a decent box in the first place

He can make a channel list in Favourites, Sure 50 spaces should be enough for freeview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Plug it out just before its cut off and leave it for three months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭timmydel1

Its amazing that with the sheer volume of s*y boxes out there that no-one has thought it worthwhile to try to write/load unofficial software (ie. Linux etc) onto them to add or unlock features such as recording etc.. Where is the Geohot for s*y boxes ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Why call them s*y??

Ok , *ky. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭Zardoz

timmydel1 wrote: »
    Its amazing that with the sheer volume of s*y boxes out there that no-one has thought it worthwhile to try to write/load unofficial software (ie. Linux etc) onto them to add or unlock features such as recording etc..
    There were some reports of people having Enigma 2 running on a Sky HD last year but nothing since.
    Seemingly the Dreambox 800 has the same chipset as the Sky HD receiver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Because NDS is really much better at security than Sony, Apple etc as they are consumer marketing companies and NDS is a dedicated Electronic Security company, with maybe the most secure card scheme in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

watty wrote: »
    Because NDS is really much better at security than Sony, Apple etc as they are consumer marketing companies and NDS is a dedicated Electronic Security company, with maybe the most secure card scheme in the world?

actually I thought this would of been the main reason for people to have tried to hack a sky box, basically just for the ability to say they were the people to have done it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Apogee

you can hack the Pace 3100 model to enable recording.
    http://www.steves-homepage.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1210113159

As mentioned, there is also a project underway to run Enigma 2 on Sky+ HD hardware.
    www.tektesters.com

actually I thought this would of been the main reason for people to have tried to hack a sky box, basically just for the ability to say they were the people to have done it

How many have tried and got nowhere?

watty wrote: »
    That and the fact that they have extremely shady and sinister people in charge of their Israeli base.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I've been using this method for the last year or so OP and works fine:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64023019

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

TBH Id imagine if anyone ever does/already has hacked their $ky box theyd keep pretty quiet about it if theyve any sense at all.

Obligatory Disclaimer: hacking your $ky box is baaddd mmmkaaayyyyy

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    TBH Id imagine if anyone ever does/already has hacked their Sky box theyd keep pretty quiet about it if theyve any sense at all.

Obligatory Disclaimer: hacking your Sky box is baaddd mmmkaaayyyyy

This pretty much covers hacking Skyboxes. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1990/en/act/pub/0024/sec0009.html#zza24y1990s9

It's illegal folks,the op is discussing accessing services that have to be paid for as they want to use the box to record after cancelling their Sky sub.

The pull out your valid card trick to record 'other channels' is ok as you are still paying a subscription,however hacking the equipment to circumvent a subscription service is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Zardoz wrote: »
    That and the fact that they have extremely shady and sinister people in charge of their Israeli base.

What are you on about?

It's not illegal Zerks to hack it to receive or record FTA TV. It's not a rental box. The owners own it.

It's only illegal to hack it to circumvent subscription on payTV. The Recording subscription for FTA is likely suspect as it's essentially renting you HW you already bought and would not be covered unless it was a rented box.

There are plenty of non-sky boxes and every PC card that record FTA TV legally without subscription. To call recording of FTA TV on Satellite a service that has to be paid for on a box you own is sharp practice and I'd love to see Sky lose that in Court.

It would be illegal to hack a UPC box to record unencrypted Cable TV as there is NO free cable and UPC own the cable box forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Agreed 100% Theres tons of sky boxes out there doing nothing that the owner actually owns and if there was a way to recycle these as FTA DVR's then that would be great and save a lot of people a good deal of cash.

I'd actually consider the card flip trick to be more dodgy then jailbreaking a Sky box to use as a FTA PVR.

BUT, Sky own the intelectual rights to the software so hacking it is illegal. You can own the hardware but not the software.

Putting your own software is not illegal
    making changes to the sw installed is not either as long as you are not distributing the SW and it doesn't enable any bypass of PayTV subscription. The issue with mods to Xbox, PS3, Nintendo etc is that all of those are to run pirated copies of commercial products.

There are legitimate "hacks" to many TVs, DVD, Set-boxes that are nothing to do with payTV.

There is nothing dodgy about "card trick". When you do that it's only able to receive FTA content.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Does anybody know why Sky haven't been brought to court on this?

I see this situation similar to mobile phone unlocking.
    Mobile phone companies now have to give you an unlock code for you phone once you are out of contract.
    You own the hardware and you should be allowed to use it in any Legal way.
    In this case.....using a sim from another Mobile Phone network.
    In the sky box case.... recording channels that are FTA.

What are you on about?
    Google some of the people NDS have working in their anti piracy dept in Israel and you will get your answer.
    Does anybody know why Sky haven't been brought to court on this?
    Uncle Rupert and his connections

Or even being able to use more than 27500 and 22000 SR in other channels.
    Being able to enter DVB-S2 parameters on Sky HD boxes.

They only have "other channels" at all as a nod to Premiere in Germany losing a court case over only allowing PayTV EPG channels of Premiere on the box.

Hi Watty, you probably realised ,as I see in your later posts that I did not mean hacking the box to receive pay tv channels, but mainly putting other software on it to enable recording again.
    This would be ideal as no manufacturer seems to have achieved the simplicity of operation of the sky box pause,record,rewind features (or am I wrong ? ) I know for a fact that my parents would dump sky in the morning if their box continued to have these still working for fta channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

timmydel1 wrote: »
    Hi Watty, you probably realised ,as I see in your later posts that I did not mean hacking the box to receive pay tv channels, but mainly putting other software on it to enable recording again.
    This would be ideal as no manufacturer seems to have achieved the simplicity of operation of the sky box pause,record,rewind features (or am I wrong ? ) I know for a fact that my parents would dump sky in the morning if their box continued to have these still working for fta channels.

Then maybe they might be interested in this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056284276

Then maybe they might be interested in this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056284276

No, that's generic for satellite. To have Sky like simplicity on Satellite you need a Freesat HD PVR,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭bennyineire

C'mon guys surly there is a way around this

• Advertisement

Buy a Freesat HD PVR.

Once off purchase.
    Works well.
    No messing.

Advertisement