Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Professional Accounting Bodies - Discussion and Comparisons

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Board.surf

I've decided to pursue ACCA. It provides felxibility for those with more than 2 ongoing obligations i.e work, family, young kids, volunteer work. 4 exams, 1 at a time per year. It's also quite cheap.

For CPA I unfortunately came to the conclusion that it did not suit me, even though they offered more exemptions. Not one recruiter was comfortable approaching me having put CPA on my CV. It's sad really.

CAI. Well, I wanted to, but nobody has taken me on and I would rather not pay the hefty fees right now.

All 3 seem great, but it really depends on your background, aspirations and current setup.

(The cpa to acca question as asked above. ACCA give very few exemptions for CPA).

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

None of them are. Although you might have difficulty dragging that piece of information out of them. You'll get stuff like "equivalent to" etc, but if you ask the direct question and request a yes or no, they either have to give a no, or...........

Neither is ITI on the framework. Afaik the only professional qualification on the framework is CTax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

Totally agree with posters who says it's about your own situation with regard to which you pick. I am speaking as a Cpa. I have no problem saying that I would hold cai in my head as the number 1 professional body. I have never warmed to acca, based largely on many colleagues who I have worked with who were acca. I always found they were limited in their technical knowledge. I m sure their are those who would stand up to cai/Cpa and be even better so I am not painting all with the one brush here. With regard to Cima, I have never worked alongside a qualified Cima. Management accounting was never really my area anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shelestkaterina

The professional accounting bodies are organizations that are responsible for setting accounting standards, regulating the profession, and providing education, training and development opportunities to members. These bodies are also responsible for protecting the public interest and maintaining the integrity of the profession.

The three main professional accounting bodies are the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW), the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) and the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA). All three of these bodies have their own standards, qualifications and rules for members.The main differences between the three bodies include the type of qualifications required to become a member, the rules and regulations for members, and the scope of the training and development opportunities provided. For example, CIMA has a more comprehensive training programme than the other two bodies, while ICAEW has a more focused and technical approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

These are the UK bodies.

Also worth noting for students and members CPA Ireland and Chartered Accountants Ireland are considering a merger so they’d all become Chartered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Just an update on that

"Accountancy body members agree to amalgamate" https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2024/0222/1433711-accountants-to-merge/

They’ve another vote on this soon, the rules in each body have to be updated to reflect the merger, so maybe it’ll get kicked out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭hold my beer

The merger was passed a few weeks ago in a vote by both bodies membership. I haven't heard anything about any further votes. CAI will subsume CPA

The AGM in May will be asked to approve the changes to the rules to reflect the merger. I don’t know if that’s a formality or another approval stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I'd imagine it's a formality, unless an issue arises

• Advertisement
Advertisement