Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DAB in Ireland: RTE multiplex closed

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

coylemj wrote: »
    See if your radio has a 'trim' function, this will clean out the old stations.
    The Cush wrote: »
    They changed the SIDs for a couple of the stations about 2 weeks ago, go back a few pages for the discussion. The old SIDs/stations were renamed "Retune" for about a week but continued to carry the same audio with scrolling text informing listeners to retune to update their channels list. A week later these duplicates were shut down. The new SIDs/stations have the correct station name. As coylemj posts above do a full retune or prune/trim to remove them from the channel list.

Thanks for the advice. I did the prune thingy and it removed all the 'retune' stations. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

coylemj wrote: »
    If I retune and can see RTE1 and RTE1+, could someone please tell me in plain English if I should choose RTE1+ over RTE1 and why?

Which you should choose will be up to you, listen to both and compare the audio.

As zg3409 posts above they are carrying out DAB+ tests, in preparation for the changeover from DAB to DAB+ which may happen in the next few years as was announced in their 5 year strategy earlier this week, see post #1636 above.

The 2 duplicate audio streams are probably used to compare audio quality between the 2 different standards - 128 kbps for DAB and 48 kbps for DAB+, indoor/outdoor reception etc.

The DB Digital Broadcasting DAB trial also duplicates all stations in 128kbps DAB / 64kbps DAB+.
    To determine the audio quality at low bitrates, listening tests were performed by the EBU (European Broadcasting Union) in 2003. For stereophonic audio, the listening tests show that

- at an audio bit rate of 48 kbps, HE-AAC offers good to excellent quality
    - at an audio bit rate of 64 kbps it offers excellent quality

Advantages of DAB+/HE-AAC v2 over DAB/MPEG-1 Audio Layer 2 (http://www.worlddab.org/public_document/file/368/Additional_attributes_offered_by_DAB_.pdf?1376485352)
    - up to three times as many services per multiplex
    - DAB+/HE-AAC v2 provides the same perceived audio quality at about one third of the rate needed by DAB/MPEG Audio Layer [48 kbps DAB+/HE-AAC v2 provides a similar audio quality (even slightly better in most cases) as DAB/MPEG Audio Layer 2 at 128 kbps]
    - geographical coverage area of radio services using DAB+/HE-AAC v2 is slightly larger than that for radio services using DAB/MPEG Audio Layer 2
    - with DAB/MPEG Audio Layer 2, the weaker the DAB signal gets, the more audible artifacts can be heard. DAB+/HE-AAC v2 produces no audible artifacts, but when the signal gets too weak, an increased number of audio frames will be lost and this causes short periods of silence (fade-out and fade-in)
    - Compared to radio services using DAB/MPEG Audio Layer 2, radio services using DAB+/HE-AAC v2 will fail later (they can cope with a slightly lower DAB signal quality)

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Will Truskmore broadcast DAB or would the fact that it is close to Northern Ireland have a bearing on it,would it affect their DAB transmitters?

We don't know which transmitters will be upgraded for DAB but assume it'll include all the main transmitters including Truskmore.

The frequency allocated for the RTÉ DAB multiplex is 12C (227.360 Mhz) which isn't allocated to any transmitter in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

announced in their 5 year strategy
    80% Population coverage for DAB+ but only if VHF-FM is being closed (which it won't be) But that is about 50% Geographic!

DAB+ will not be used for better quality than present (which is too poor) but to allow more stations in the Multiplex instead of having a 2nd multiplex. Already there should be TWO multiplexes and double the bit rate. Or else ditch half the niche stations.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

What criteria are being used for signal coverage? Is it stationary, aerial fed, or is it mobile trannie type devices?

Will they persue maximum stations per mux, or will they have a quality approach? We have loads of spectrum considering we do not have many stations. I suspect they will be greedy and reduce bit rates for more crap stations.

• Advertisement

Maximum stations per Mux.

Car coverage, not a portable radio.

RTE and BBC don't seem to care about portable Radio use. They are both killing Broadcast in general by their attitudes and have forgotten what PSB means.

The BBC only cares about Radio coverage for Cricket, hence the huge number of R4 LW opt outs carrying DAB content ("We do this because FM coverage isn't good enough and DAB coverage is worse" DAB and VHF-FM coverage are both far better in UK for BBC than in Ireland for RTE).

Certainly RTE Radio indoor coverage on VHF or DAB on a portable set without an external or extended aerial is rubbish even in areas with official coverage today.

Too few VHF transmitters (FM and especially DAB) with too little power.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Certainly RTE Radio indoor coverage on VHF or DAB on a portable set without
    an external or extended aerial is rubbish even in areas with official coverage
    today.

Too few VHF transmitters (FM and especially DAB) with too little
    power.

I wouldn't say that with regard to FM.

The Clermont Carn signal on FM can be received as far north as the north coast of NI. A few years back on day trip to the Vale of Avoca, it was receivable well south of Dublin (40-50 miles at least). I'd reckon FM radio coverage from that site is one best in the British Isles.

I would agree, DAB coverage is rubbish in the ROI, but definitely not FM with regard to RTE (and Today FM)

watty wrote: »
    Maximum stations per Mux.

It seems there will be less stations per DAB mux. RTÉ Choice has been merged with RTÉ Radio 1 Extra and it looks like RTÉ Gold and RTÉ Pulse may go the same way later this year.

This from the 5 year strategy
    In a reassessment of the portfolio, one of these stations (RTÉ Choice) will be merged with RTÉ Radio 1 Extra and further evaluation of RTÉ Gold and RTÉ Pulse will be carried out in 2013.

One of the problems with DAB (and it applies to digital broadcasting in general) in the introduction of dealys to the transmission, which are of the order of a second or two. This is particularly annoying if the room I am in has both adjacent room with radios (or TVs) tuned to the same broadcast. In the case of radion, one DAB and one FM. In the case of TV, one tuned to, say, BBC One, the other to BBC One HD.

Would it be beyond the wit of broadcasters to equalise these delays by introducing a delay the FM radio and SD channel TV so this echo effect could be eliminated? It might also allow correct time signals to be broadcast.

No, because different implementations of decoders have different size buffers.

Also even VHF-FM RTE1 and RTE LW now have different delays! Perhaps relating to how they are fed.

Digital also has an inherent and annoying delay for channel changing. Especially annoying on radio.

In general ANY digital system for Radio has not the advantages Digital TV has over analogue TV and only disadvantages. If 67MHz to 87MHz or 175MHz to 195MHz had been added as extra FM it would have created the extra choice always promoted for DAB as the advantage with none of the DAB disadvantages. 64 to 80 approx is already used in Eastern Europe and is no use for anything else. 175MHz to 195MHz is no use for anything other than Radio (DAB is about 212MHz) and Band III DTT isn't needed.
    Small €5 adaptors would extend existing VHF sets (car or home).

MANY years after DAB introduction the battery life (running cost) is still worse than 1950s valve battery sets and some DAB sets have worse battery life (& running cost) than 1928 AM radios!

DRM on SW might have been interesting, but after many years after start of transmissions where are the Radios?

DAB is technology for technology's sake.

There are almost no decent general purpose DAB Radios. Coverage is NOT good enough to have DAB only sets or even DAB & FM only sets. Even the sets that do have VHF-FM and DAB the User Interface is often rubbish and few have RDS etc. Almost none have MW & LW which is needed for choice and coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

It's possible that DAB will never become a popular way to listen to the radio in Ireland. New technology will pass it out and old technology is unlikely to go away.

I've DAB radios but I'm the only one I know. Urban friends listen to podcasts or FM on their phone. Rural friends are lucky to have the FM signal at times.

That's one of the great advantages when you're depending on a RTE FM signal in many parts of the country. A good radio has a stereo/mono switch that can be used when reception is poor and often improves the sound.

DAB is unusable in the same situation. If you fall below a certain signal level it's very annoying.

175MHz to 195MHz is no use for anything other than Radio (DAB is about 212MHz) and Band III DTT isn't needed.

DAB frequencies start at Ch.5A (174.928 MHz) and go up to Ch. 13F (239.200 MHz).

Ireland's DAB allocations start at Ch. 5B (176.640 MHz) and go up to Ch. 12D (229.072 MHz)

The 3 national muxes are Ch. 12C - 227.360 MHz (Mux1), 12A - 223.936 MHz (Mux2) and 10A - 209.936 MHz (Mux3)
    Coverage is NOT good enough to have DAB only sets or even DAB & FM only sets. Even the sets that do have VHF-FM and DAB the User Interface is often rubbish and few have RDS etc. Almost none have MW & LW which is needed for choice and coverage.

I did think the same at one point and always kept an eye out for a DAB+/FM/AM radios - no problem finding one for a car but very scarce when it comes to table/clock radios. But when I thought about it, we have a few analogue FM/AM radios around the house that have never been switched to AM and so decided AM wasn't really required with DAB and FM providing all the required stations in this household at least.

DAB is unusable in the same situation. If you fall below a certain signal level it's very annoying.

Yes, DAB when it falls below the min. signal strength level it gets annoying alright with that "under water" gurgling audio effect (audible artifacts).

I've been comparing Radio 1 DAB and DAB+ for the last day or so, the DAB+ version appear to be slightly more robust, when the signal drops below the threshold the DAB station has noticable audible artifacts but the DAB+ station continues unaffected until the signal drops further at which point the audio just fades out and fades back in again as the signal returns.

But when I thought about it, we have a few analogue FM/AM radios around the house that have never been switched to AM and so decided AM wasn't really required with DAB and FM providing all the required stations in this household at least.

Most AM radios do not include LW, and RTE stopped broadcasting on MW ages ago. So no, you would not bother tuning in AM.

The good thing about FM receivers are they start at very cheap (like €2).
    On the other hand DAB starts at a lot (€100) and gets more expensive. It is rubbish for battery use, and heavy for portable use. It also behaves very badly in poor signal situations, and gives a delay when changing channel. Its saving grace is that it can be bundled with an internet streaming radio, which still has the delay but has lots and lots of channels.

So DAB is rubbish, and DAB+ should be used to give excellent quality rather than more stations.

LW has 3 French language Stations, RTE1 and R4 LW & BBC Cricket Channel time sharing.

MW daytime has Irish Licensed "Spirit Radio" in Cavan and loads of UK and continental stations after dark. If you are in the East or have a high end AM set you can get UK MW R. Wales and Five Live during the day, maybe a few more. It's particularly daft that so many radio sets with MW and no LW (car radios and Portables) + VHF are sold here when plenty of cheap sets are still made with LW as well as MW. UK's stations are never going to be on DAB here.

In 1950s and 1960s with UK VHF-FM only had copies of Home, Light & Third. People wanted Normandie, Luxembourg, Athlone, AFN etc so VHF-FM only sets had tiny sales compared with ones with MW & LW too.

Only LW & MW currently give true national portable coverage in UK or Ireland. VHF doesn't have the same coverage. This is why UK puts Cricket on R4LW. They said so.

RTE closed the MW stations as a cost saving exercise when they took over 252kHz.

Sadly DAB+ doesn't solve power consumption or coverage or delay issues and will only be used to fit in more stations.

€10 gets you a usable Analogue radio with 1/10th battery running cost of DAB set, with LW, MW, VHF-FM and 9 SW bands. You have to buy a vintage 1960s LW/MW/VHF set to get much better as the so called "Retro" and "Revival" sets at about €100 have a poor loudspeaker, only marginally better than Tesco's €10 model.

I have sets from 1929 to 2013 including two DAB sets and high end communications receivers as well as 3 proper HiFi "separates" systems and I have designed radio systems since 1980s. So I can make comparisons.

VHF and even more so DAB is also inflicting a National Ghetto in Broadcasting if the Radio sets don't have decent LW & MW too and Broadcasters don't continue to use the bands.

There was more real choice after dark in the 1930s on Radio than there is today on VHF-FM or DAB. There still is a lot of choice if you have a decent radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I really think DAB's a waste of time and energy. Content is king and Irish DAB does not have enough of it to make it worthwhile.

It's also a technology that was perhaps more exciting in about 1995. Since the advent of iPods, smart phones and small digital media devices, the need for umpteen radio stations isn't really as big as people can access music content in particular anywhere.

I increasingly just use Spotify and download all my playlists to my mobile and I listen to an ever increasing amount of online radio.

I've an unlimited data plan on my smartphone and I've unlimited WiFi at home (which is where I do most of the listening) and with those two it's actually very possible to practically never listen to FM radio at all anymore.

The world's heading that way where live broadcast radio's not really going to be as big a deal as it once was and more and more content will be pulled from the internet and cached in devices or pulled on demand as it's needed for news/speech content.

DAB devices are also very clunky looking for what they are. If there were a DAB receiver in my mobile, I might bother listening but it certainly wouldn't be a feature that would sway me to buy a particular phone.

FM radio to me seems like a far better solution. Simple devices, cheap, completely acceptable sound quality (can sound excellent with a good signal and a good receiver and if the station's not using crazy compression settings).

With some better channel management too, we could probably get quite a few more stations onto the FM dial than we have at present.

Most AM radios do not include LW, and RTE stopped broadcasting on MW ages ago.

2 of the analogue radios we have here are fm/mw/lw models.

I picked up a Sony car radio in Halfords recently with DAB/DAB+/DMB-R/FM/MW/LW

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

RTE have a real gem in Clermont Carn. It's not even their highest powered station (40kW vs others running at 160), yet it's coverage is nothing short of amazing. It can be received under flat conditions in Co. Cork (Tullylease + surrounds) even on portable radios. (87.8, 95.2/105.5)

Suprised LMFM haven't hopped up there, it'd save them the bother of having about 50 relays in Louth.

I wonder how RTE are going to handle the SFN though. In Ballydesmond-Boherbue Co. Cork, RTE R1 for exampel can be clearly received on portable radios on 88.2, 88.4, 88.5, 88.8, 89.2, 89.6 and 90.0. Surely all those stations would interfere with each other.

marno21 wrote: »
    RTE have a real gem in Clermont Carn. It's not even their highest powered station (40kW vs others running at 160), yet it's coverage is nothing short of amazing.
    I wonder how RTE are going to handle the SFN though.

At the moment they are only transmitting DAB at 5 kW max according to Comreg.

RTE closed the MW stations as a cost saving exercise when they took over 252kHz.

That wasn't a bad idea as such. Always found it hard to pick up the MW compared to 252 LW which booms in all over the island (and even listened to it in Germany, it's very quiet there but it works!)
    There was more real choice after dark in the 1930s on Radio than there is today on VHF-FM or DAB. There still is a lot of choice if you have a decent radio.

There is very limited choice on FM in Ireland. It's the 3 or 4 same formats and nothing more. 10am any morning and almost all of the stations have talk, 3 o'clock and almost all of them have music.

There's No Drama, No weekday sport, the news agenda is very focused on Ireland and only the most miserable of subjects.

Having said that I'm sorry to say that MW is dead in Ireland and LW will go as soon as RTE gets the chance to flip the switch. Remember this is the same organization that would be happy with 80 percent coverage if FM was turned off. If Dublin and the other major cities are covered they're happy enough.

• Advertisement

Remember this is the same organization that would be happy with 80 percent coverage if FM was turned off. If Dublin and the other major cities are covered they're happy enough.

RTÉ hasn't linked 80% DAB coverage with analogue radio switchoff. They said they would like to have 80% DAB coverage by the end of 2017, no mention of switching off FM or LW radio.

RTÉ hasn't linked 80% DAB coverage with analogue radio switchoff. They said they would like to have 80% DAB coverage by the end of 2017, no mention of switching off FM or LW radio.
    Obviously slightly ranting on my part, FM is very unlikely to be turned off any time in the next few decades. However, my point stands. They don't care about full coverage. They never have. They've always made claims and statements that they either forget or change depending on what they could get away with.

If given a chance RTE would switch off LW in the Morning. It'd save a load of money and it's not cool. I didn't find the MW great but there were people that used it. However, it would have generally been the over 55's and those in the North and the UK (again over 55) RTE made the decision to switch off and move to LW.

Now within the last seven days I've tried to find an actual Schedule for the LW service on the RTE website and it doesn't appear to be there. (I may be wrong!) It's an easy target. Give it another say 4 to 5 years and it'll be gone. They'll claim that everyone is listening online and it's pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

I picked up a Sony car radio in Halfords recently with DAB/DAB+/DMB-R/FM/MW/LW

Have anyone have experience of DMB-R?
    Is this a newer standard from DAB?

Souriau wrote: »
    Have anyone have experience of DMB-R?
    Is this a newer standard from DAB?

DMB-R (Radio) (aka T-DAB, DMB-A (Audio)) is the digital terrestrial radio standard (Radio Numerique Terrestre) adopted by France in 2008, over DAB, and all digital radios sold in France must include DMB-R since Jan 1st this year. In Aug they officially approved the use of DAB+ as an option for digital terrestrial radio.

DMB is a sibling to DAB and developed out of the same Eureka147 project. DMB was developed to carry radio, TV, data etc. - http://www.theidag.org/about-us/dmb-dab-dab.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I had not realised devices such as this were available generally .... maybe they still are not?

http://www.theidag.org/device/samsung.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

DMB-R (Radio) (aka T-DAB, DMB-A (Audio)) is the digital terrestrial radio standard (Radio Numerique Terrestre) adopted by France in 2008, over DAB, and all digital radios sold in France must include DMB-R since Jan 1st this year. In Aug they officially approved the use of DAB+ as an option for digital terrestrial radio.

DMB a sibling to DAB and developed out of the same Eureka147 project. DMB was developed to carry radio, TV, data etc. - http://www.theidag.org/about-us/dmb-dab-dab.html

Just a quick look through Darty's catalogue shows there aren't really very many radios coming up with RNT tuners and a couple with DAB/DAB+ only yet loads and loads with "Tuner FM Analogique". Some of them have FM/GO (grandes ondes / long wave)

http://www.darty.com/nav/recherche?srctype=list&text=radio

It seems the two standards are also causing confusion and they're concerned that they'll end up with two markets requiring two separate content streams entirely i.e. one with multimedia content and DAB+ concentrating only on audio.

http://www.pcinpact.com/news/75534-la-france-va-ajouter-norme-dab-a-radio-numerique-terrestre.htm

There should be plenty of receiver choice for DMB though with South Korea being its origin and China adopting it now too.

I still find DAB receivers WAY too clunky. There's obviously very little R&D going into the chipsets for DAB/DAB+ reception considering what's possible for mobile phones and other devices that are handling multiple protocols and aren't just passive receivers.

When you consider that a relatively cheap phone can typically handle GSM 900/1800 (and possibly 2 other bands) with GPRS and EDGE, UMTS 2100 3G, probably Bluetooth and an FM radio too and still come in cheaper and smaller than a lot of DAB radios.

If you take a very high end smartphone for example like my HTC One all in one small package:

GSM, UMTS, LTE hitting all major bands used globally.
    Bluetooth and NFC
    GPRS
    WiFi

Clearly the chipsets being used in the mobile industry are just light years ahead of what's available for DAB.

It's 80% Population. Which is only 50% Geographic. Nor any indication if that's for portable/pocket radio, roof aerials or simply car Radio.

It's 80% Population.

I know, where did I say otherwise?

It's 80% Population. Which is only 50% Geographic. Nor any indication if that's for portable/pocket radio, roof aerials or simply car Radio.

It's RTE not The Cush trying to pull a fast one. The correct way RTE should have stated the facts is that half the landmass of Ireland would be covered which would mean 80% of the population was covered. Instead they use the 80% figure. For most people who read that they imagine in their heads that 80% of the Landmass of Ireland is covered, which of course it's not.

It's basic PR/Spin which unfortunately works a lot of the time.

• Advertisement

It's RTE not The Cush trying to pull a fast one.

Watty knows that, the 80% figure in the 5 year strategy always referred to population coverage. During the Saorview rollout % population coverage was the figure used also, I don't remember % geographic coverage figure being used by RTÉ/RTÉNL during this time.

From the 5 year strategy
    RTÉ would wish to start the roll-out of a digital terrestrial radio platform on a phased basis to approx 80% of the population of Ireland within the course of this strategy and to actively market the service to audiences. It is proposed that the DAB+ standard is adopted, which is the second generation of DAB. DAB+ is more spectrum efficient than DAB which means more services can be accommodated, increasing consumer choice and the attractiveness of the platform.

• Investing in the necessary DAB+ transmitters to extend coverage to 80% of population, the cost being dependent on frequency and network plans.
    The correct way RTE should have stated the facts is that half the landmass of Ireland would be covered which would mean 80% of the population was covered.

Depends on which 50% of the landmass you're referring to, doesn't it.

A 50% geographic coverage figure doesn't indicate what the population coverage is within that area, it could be a high or low density population area and they will roll it out the areas of higher population density initially. Basically population coverage is a more useful figure.

Advertisement