Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Assembly rejects equal marriage motion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Strange all the talk by unionists and then separating themselves from all of Britain and Ireland by doing this.

• Sadly it's not too surprisng; the DUP is a party of dinosaurs who are backward thinking in many ways. Their Health Minister (a position you would expect to be occupied by someone with at least a rudimentary grasp of science/medicine) is a young earth creationist who opposes the theory of evolution ffs. The party has had many incidences of its members spouting homophobic drivel.

On the plus side, the most recent surveys have shown increasing numbers of people in NI supporting same sex marriage: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/majority-in-northern-ireland-support-samesex-marriages-survey-30035867.html The DUP cannot block equal marriage forever, it's only a matter of time until a large enough majority support and demand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sadly it's not too surprisng; the DUP is a party of dinosaurs who are backward thinking in many ways. Their Health Minister (a position you would expect to be occupied by someone with at least a rudimentary grasp of science/medicine) is a young earth creationist who opposes the theory of evolution ffs. The party has had many incidences of its members spouting homophobic drivel.

On the plus side, the most recent surveys have shown increasing numbers of people in NI supporting same sex marriage: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/majority-in-northern-ireland-support-samesex-marriages-survey-30035867.html The DUP cannot block equal marriage forever, it's only a matter of time until a large enough majority support and demand it.

Unfortunately the DUP can keep blocking it because of the way the NI assembly works. They can invoke what is called a petition of concern

any vote taken by the Assembly can be made dependent on cross-community support if a petition of concern is presented to the Speaker. A petition of concern may be brought by 30 or more MLAs.[32] In such cases, a vote on proposed legislation will only pass if supported by a weighted majority (60%) of members voting, including at least 40% of each of the nationalist and unionist designations present and voting. Effectively this means that, provided enough MLAs from a given community agree, that community (or a sufficiently large party in that community) can exercise a veto over the Assembly's decisions.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭Daith

Disappointing but I do think it's only a matter of time.

Though if you marry in the UK do you have any rights or recognition in NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Daith wrote: »
    Disappointing but I do think it's only a matter of time.

Though if you marry in the UK do you have any rights or recognition in NI?

I presume a UK marriage would be recognised as an NI civil partnership

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭ewan whose army

I presume a UK marriage would be recognised as an NI civil partnership

That is correct.

Being NI everyone else in the UK just ignores it

Advertisement