Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I jave to say, this is what i wanted to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Brian wrote: »
    Can the people who like the GS3 stop labelling those of us disappointed as somehow HTC fanboys?

Have some consideration for those of us who don't want to buy a phone with a Pentile screen but who are also fundamentally opposed to buying a device with the Beats logo on it :(

I dont have any problem with people who have this opinion, what i have a problem with is people who are consistently knocking people who like the Sammy phone.

Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Brian wrote: »
    Can the people who like the GS3 stop labelling those of us disappointed as somehow HTC fanboys?

Have some consideration for those of us who don't want to buy a phone with a Pentile screen but who are also fundamentally opposed to buying a device with the Beats logo on it :(

I too have no issue with those who aren't interested in the GS3, I do have an issue with those who constantly argue the negatives of the GS3 and parade the positives on the HTC One X as if this is the place for it.

At the end of the day, everyone can make up their own mind.

This should be about the GS3 and not it's alternatives as that would be preferences and there is already a thread comparing the GS3 to the HTC One X if anyone has doubts about which to purchase.

I think this thread should be more for those who are interested in buying it.

also, when will the damn networks here announce there price plans. They always wait to see what network goes first

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

meh, some decent updates from the S2, but I just cant ever see myself using a phone that size for daily use.

4 inch is really the sweet-spot for me, but it seems the main manufacturers are either abandoning and massively reducing production at that size... :( (I like the new Samsung Galaxy S Advance form factor but it will probably never have the quality ICS roms that the old Samsung Galaxy S has through XDA).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I am a Samsung fan, using the Galaxy S2 currently but even I was underwhelmed by the phone. I mean yes the specs look good but I wasn't impressed by the look of the phone but it may look better if I see it in the flesh...

I am not entitled to an upgrade anyway so I can only look :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Chet T16 wrote: »

Personally I'm glad it isn't like that, to me that looks awful :p

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

draffodx wrote: »
    Chet T16 wrote: »

Personally I'm glad it isn't like that, to me that looks awful :p

So have any networks announced it here yet

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thor wrote: »
    anyone who has already bought a HTC One X and has no plans on changing, shouldn't really be commenting.

Absolute nonsense. So people who have a different phone can't comment on this thread? Can people only comment on phones they are thinking of buying?

It's an open discussion forum so I'll continue to comment thank you very much.

Commenting constructively is fine, trolling is different matter entirely which is what some people are doing.

People are ALWAYS going to have different opinions, last year it was the Sensation versus the GS2 this year the OneX vs the GS3 both have their merits and both have their flaws.

One thing I think people should stop getting hung up on is the the launcher such as touchwiz or sense... you can simply download any one the alternatives from google play and your sorted.

I use Apex Launcher on my phone at the moment and its great, very stock ICS but with some nice refinements and features... strongly recommended. (only works with ICS)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Craigels wrote: »
    So have any networks announced it here yet

Three is the only one that I can see to have mentioned it

• Advertisement

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Three is the only one that I can see to have mentioned it

Meteor in a bizzare and quite stupid move seem to have delete all GS3 thread that were on their forums? :confused:

fionny wrote: »
    Meteor in a bizzare and quite stupid move seem to have delete all GS3 thread that were on their forums? :confused:

Yea I noticed that, it seems a bit strange!

Maybe they arent going to be stocking it from the start? Trying to make their customers forget about it?

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Yea I noticed that, it seems a bit strange!

Maybe they arent going to be stocking it from the start? Trying to make their customers forget about it?

Well if they dont then they will lose a customer. I hate moderation like that, im going to open a new thread there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

adrian522 wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense. So people who have a different phone can't comment on this thread? Can people only comment on phones they are thinking of buying?

It's an open discussion forum so I'll continue to comment thank you very much.

You misunderstood me. There is alot of people here commenting solely to re-affirm their purchase of the HTC One X and want to believe they made the right choice. This is pointless as it's pretty much all personal choices. This thread is about the GS3 and not the fact that people both the One X because it had this or that.

I mean, if you were to jump into any other thread about any other android device, you wouldn't see people trying to defend the HTC One X against it. They are doing it here simply because they feel they need too. I think enough posts have been wasted on this, So I'm not going to talk about it anymore either.

Everyone try to remember that everyone here can make up their own mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Thor wrote: »
    You misunderstood me. There is alot of people here commenting solely to re-affirm their purchase of the HTC One X and want to believe they made the right choice. This is pointless as it's pretty much all personal choices. This thread is about the GS3 and not the fact that people both the One X because it had this or that.
    I haven't seen a single person here trying to re-affirm their purchase. I for one was considering changing to the S3 up until yesterday. Seeing that it's still the same old Samsung Galaxy (I.e. Powerful hardware w/ questionable material choices and in this case screen choices) I lost interest in it.
    I mean, if you were to jump into any other thread about any other android device, you wouldn't see people trying to defend the HTC One X against it. They are doing it here simply because they feel they need too. I think enough posts have been wasted on this, So I'm not going to talk about it anymore either.

Everyone try to remember that everyone here can make up their own mind.
    They're two of the biggest phones this year. Naturally people will be discussing them relative to one another. In fact, most people on this thread have been discussing the S3 on its own merits. References to the One X haven't been as widespread as you perceive them to be.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I have to be say I was a bit disappointed though I can't exactly say why. I mean the S3 seems like a great phone, maybe they just hyped it up too much and that raised expectations.

Or maybe the design was a bit underwhelming. All the flowery language about inspiration was a bit off putting for me as well.

In the end there is probably not a huge difference between the 2 phones, just comes down to personal preference and choice I think.

I can imagine a certain amount of relief from people who purchased the One X as they are not now in a position where a vastly superior phone has been released just 1 month later which is always a concern when buying a new phone these days it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭enviro

Vodafone and Three are getting it on release. :)

Meteor are getting it too but havn't said when. :/

And o2 still dont know if they are going to be getting it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

enviro wrote: »

Touchwiz is just soo fúcking ugly, why don't HTC and Samsung both release phones with a stock android or customised bloatware android choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Just disable the bloatware and pop a new launcher on and away you go.

• Advertisement

god's toy wrote: »
    Just disable the bloatware and pop a new launcher on and away you go.

No you still have a non stock android device devoid of any updates until samsung and/or your network provider get round to handing them out. It's just rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Inquitus wrote: »
    No you still have a non stock android device devoid of any updates until samsung and/or your network provider get round to handing them out. It's just rubbish.

Rom it?

I get what your staying all the same and for me the launcher worked until I just said f**k this I'm romming it and haven't looked back. I understand that's not for everyone and agree it's a real pain that both HTC and Samsung don't give you the choice but force your hand.

Rom it?

I get what your staying all the same and for me the launcher worked until I just said f**k this I'm romming it and haven't looked back. I understand that's not for everyone and agree it's a real pain that both HTC and Samsung don't give you the choice but force your hand.

ROMS are buggy,all of them Cyanogen, Darkys, Android Revolution, whatever, yes I flash them as I prefer it to stock Sense or Touchwiz, but no they don't offer as good an experience as vanilla android.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Rom it?

I'm the same, I prefer a natural Android feel so I'll flash a community ROM on whatever I get, usually within a few days. I'm lucky that I'm not due an upgrade till June, works out perfect.

I'm still undecided between the GS3 and the One X, although the GS3 seems to be tipping the scale with it's removable battery (a nasty practice), SD card slot and 50GB Dropbox space. I've had a quick play with the One X, I just need to do same the GS3 to see if there's anything I don't like. I was surprised at how plastic the One X was compared to older HTC phones, a very Samsung feel to it, would have sold on me was it metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I always liked sense, it added the polish that froyo and gingerbread needed. Touchwiz lasted about 2 hours on my S2 but it didn't seem very intrusive, more like just a launcher. A mountain of bloatware as standard tho.

Stock ICS with Nova is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Justin10

Seen on Clove the S3 is £514

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

So when can we expect this to be in shops? I heard 3 months - would that be correct?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

CPW told me today that they would have it in June, not sure when in June, what networks or price...

Some solid benchmarks by a repuatable neutral crowd (Anandtech)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5810/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-performance-preview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭kenyard

just looking at the htc one x... similar screen, processors similar on paper. seems samsung has better though even though slightly slower probably caus of ice cream sandwich in most things...
    front camera better on samsung, i think in the past samsung have had better cameras, though nowhere near nokias standard ofc.
    nice features on samsung, bump, and s talk or whatever their version of siri is, yes its "nothing new on iphone" but the phone is better. apple will bring out their new phone in 6 months and it will be the spec of this phone.... why wait? :P
    im due an upgrade so going for this now. happy out

Advertisement