Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rent Allowance Query

Options
  • 27-02-2012 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a query about Rent Allowance.

Our contract is up in April and we'll be moving to a new place as our rent here is above the maximum levels for rent allowance and we really cannot afford it by ourselves.

I've never received rent allowance before so have some questions about it.

Firstly from what I've read we need to find a landlord willing to accept rent allowance before we can even apply? After this how long does it usually take to process? We're in an area covered by the central rents unit.

During this time of waiting what is the norm with a landlord? Are they usually aware they'll have to wait a couple of weeks for the rent?

I also want to make sure we're entitled to RA. We're a family with one child. I'm on casual workers, working two days a week topped up by JSB (which will be changing to JSA soon) and my partner is on JSA receiving €130 a week. We're on the housing list for the local council.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Anyone got any info for me?

Also was told by a landlord today that you're only allowed to rent a house with the amount of rooms needed. I think he's wrong once the house is within the limits. Surely if a three bedroom is the same price as a two bed they wouldn't refuse you?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 rebecca82

hey, it usually only takes one to two weeks from when you complete the forms given back to cwo for rent allowance, once ye both are not working full time n are both claiming s/w then you are entitled to ra! about the amount of rooms needed no such thing there lying to you!! i have a 3bed house and theres only 2 of us living here!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Hi,

I have a query about Rent Allowance.

Our contract is up in April and we'll be moving to a new place as our rent here is above the maximum levels for rent allowance and we really cannot afford it by ourselves.

I've never received rent allowance before so have some questions about it.

Firstly from what I've read we need to find a landlord willing to accept rent allowance before we can even apply? After this how long does it usually take to process? We're in an area covered by the central rents unit.

During this time of waiting what is the norm with a landlord? Are they usually aware they'll have to wait a couple of weeks for the rent?

I also want to make sure we're entitled to RA. We're a family with one child. I'm on casual workers, working two days a week topped up by JSB (which will be changing to JSA soon) and my partner is on JSA receiving €130 a week. We're on the housing list for the local council.

Thanks

The Central Rents unit with take longer than those areas covered by a local CWO.

However, you can speed up the process by ensuring you include ALL information & documentation requested in the Rent Pack (usually available in any local Health Centre).

In a case where everything has been submitted, a decision is normally received within 4 to 6 weeks.

The number of bedrooms is not of concern once the accommodation meets the requirements of the family renting (i.e. sufficient bedrooms for people) & the rent is within the relevant limit.

Entitlement is based on you meeting the criteria regarding means, housing needs assessment from local authority (on housing list) or renting for a minimum of 6 months out of the last 12 (& being able to afford it), & the rent being within the local limits as set down by the Department of Social Protection.

Your local CWO will not be able to assist with rent but will be able to advise you about limits & paperwork!

Hope it all works out for you! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The number of bedrooms is relevant. The property must be appropiate to your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

snubbleste wrote: »
    The number of bedrooms is relevant. The property must be appropiate to your needs.

The number of bedrooms is not of concern once the accommodation meets the requirements of the family renting (i.e. sufficient bedrooms for people) & the rent is within the relevant limit.

As I previously said, the number of bedrooms is not relevant to the CWS assessment for rent as long as the accommodation is suitable to the needs of the family, e.g. couple with 2 children in a 4 or 5 bed house within the relevant limit for that family size would be fine.

There would only be an issue if the claimant was subletting the extra rooms.

OP best of luck! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for all the replies. We've decided we're probably going to stay in our current place and sign a new lease. The landlord has decided he will take rent allowance and drop the rent for us.

I do have some questions about the forms I've to fill in for the CWO.

Firstly it asks for my social welfare payments and wages/salary. I'm not sure what to put here as I'm on casual workers and my hours differ each week. Some weeks I work two days, others I don't work at all. I'm off for three weeks without work now and will probably be finishing up in April.

It asks how much we're paying weekly in rent in the outgoings section. Is this the amount we're paying now, or the amount we'll be paying next month when we sign a new lease with a lower rent?

It also asks for the date of commencement of tenancy. Do they want the date we originally moved in or the date we'll be signing a new lease?

Apologies for all the questions but our CWO is only around once a week so want to have everything in order.

Thanks

Advertisement