Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bray airshow 2012

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Really enjoyed the show. The ATR flyby was brilliant. Thanks to the pilots for going low and quick.

A320 was class, would have loved a faster run or full throttle as they got over the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭airbusa320

Bray 2012 not to different fro 2011 but the ATR was good came in really low and fast , the 320 was v close in and even over flew to crowd.But what was the point of the condor it may as well have still been in Newcastle. Dave bruton in the sbach done a fine display as did the air corps crew in the AW139. The chipmunk was nice to see but seeing as there were two in Weston it would have been nice to see both do a fly by in the display. No show by the USAF this year which was a dissapointment . But it has to be said that Bray will only be for the family day out and as much as we wish will never be for the enthusiasts but a few different items would satisfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

driveshaft wrote: »
    I noticed several kids' helium balloons being lost up in the air during the show. Was this not quite dangerous, given that these could be struck by an aircraft?

They would be Spongebob and Barney, I had to photoshop them out of a lot of my pictures because I was zoomed right in and could see a balloon every now and then in the frame, I saw some normal balloons too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

They would be Spongebob and Barney,

My daughter got pretty upset when she saw Barney heading for the sky. Luckily the Sikorsky appeared to go after him and, even better, out of sight managed to rescue Barney!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 avcess

b757 wrote: »
    Yeah such a great addition to the lineup...

Such fun to watch..
    NOT

Hello b757,

I'm sorry my display was not up to its usual spirited self but I don'tapologise for being such an unusual act.

Unfortunately there was a weather warning at the Pilots Briefing on Saturdayat Simtech, warning of severe turbulence off Bray Head due to the strong SSWwind.

My good friend Dave Bruton came back from his opening pre display flight andwarned me that things were not good and that staying high with my 100hp O-200(max 750f/p/m climb from straight and level) was the safest thing to do on theday, hence my distance and height, safety comes first I'm afraid.
    As I took off from Newcastle they announced a weather advisory that therewas now a 600f/p/m vertical speed mountain wave off the hills, caused by thesame wind (30kts + @ 1000') cloud base at Greystones hold 1100'.
    I was caught in the turbulence and I was caught in the wave and at low levelthat would have been fatal for my aircraft type, sorry.
    Normally my display is carried out between 150' and 450' close up andpersonal and is there to show off the aeroplane not my piloting skills!
    (I'm cleared down to 100')
    I will be on the Island 7-14/9/12 let me know where you are or will be andif at all possible I'll come and show you what my good looking aeroplane cando!! Ok?

Best wishes and good flying!

Andy Chadwick, G-AYFC (sorry about the REG!!)

Hello Airbusa320,
    Don't let Davy Bruton hear you say that, he loves rolling my Condor! So read my reply to b757 and if poss. Ill include you too!
    Best wishes and clear skies.

Andy Chadwick
    G-AYFC

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bykovo Chernoye Monino

Skyfest have a Folland Gnat :D for their display, would have like to see that at Bray. Gerry Humphrys & Dave Bruton will also display their skills.

Bykovo

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bykovo Chernoye Monino

Same Condor was at one of the big RAF displays in UK earlier in the month (RAF Waddington)

B

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭airbusa320

My apologies avcess safety must come first .But it would have been nice to see a different aircraft at a lower level but of course the turbulence put paid to that.
    Regards,
    airbusa320

• Advertisement

Hello Airbus, Thank you for your reply, it is appreciated and I fully agree with you, once again apologies.
    Best wishes,
    Andy Chadwick

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sarahok

xflyer wrote: »
    The Salthill organisers had a lot of contacts built up over the years. It started small just like Bray. It didn't just get that big overnight. So save your criticisms of the organisers of the Bray airshow. If you think you can do better offer to help or organise your own airshow. I know the people involved, they are proper aviators and no amateurs.

The big problem is money. Many airshow participants are professionals and require paying. Other just need expenses covered but it's still expensive. Then there's the whole ground organisation thing. That costs a fortune. In the end that killed Salthill, that and the lukewarm and mealy mouthed attitude of local businesses and politicians in Galway.

There is nothing wrong with the Bray airshow. It's a small airshow in a small town in a small country. It's not the RIAT. Better a small free to visit airshow than none at all.

I have to say we really enjoyed the whole day. I thought the Air Corps did a fantastic job and the Parachute team were just amazing.
    I was a little disappointed with Coastguard heli display though. Just seemed a little tame or pointless...
    Overall a great day, looking forward to next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Found the BD-5, ATR, solo Extra, Blades and Chippie good, otherwise a bit of snorefest. Lots of flying in circles. Good weather and food though.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Rose of Tralee Skyfest have a Folland Gnat :D for their display, would have like to see that at Bray. Gerry Humphrys & Dave Bruton will also display their skills.

Yes, indeed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYq9sMukjxU
    It was a great show and everything went much smoother this time, even the weather turned out to be nice enough. Third time lucky I guess :)
    Gerry's display from the cockpit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPMA_AgJ_Q0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Would I be right in thinking that there was a very small crowd at that Tralee display looking at the footage of the Gnat

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Would I be right in thinking that there was a very small crowd at that Tralee display looking at the footage of the Gnat

Well, that depends. It certainly wasn't a "very small" crowd", but it was a lot more dispersed than you would expect from areas like say Salthill or Bray where you have a long beachfront on one an the display area on the other side. The action in the Lee Valley in Tralee can comfortably be watched from a much wider area. More importantly it is quite close to the town and there was a lot going on at the time, so many people stayed closer to the town centre or on Dan Spring road and watched from there. My wife and daughter decided to stay out of the flight path and I have to say that I was a bit surprised to see a lot of the display action happening quite close to the spectators. I'm sure they where all well within their permitted limits, but I still found it rather unusual. I felt safe enough, though :) Apart from Dan Spring Road (which runs parallel to the flight path) most of the people gathered within the wetlands centre park, while the Gnat-footage was taken on the Lee bridge just outside of that area.

I borrow a pic taken by Gerry Humphrey's cockpit cam, showing a view over the park area with the Garda helicopter in the top right corner:

217778.jpg

At the time Gerrys first display began (he was number two after the Gnat) it was still drizzling a bit and many people just started to arrive to see what's going on. But overall I think this has clearly been the best of the three shows so far and everybody seemed to be very happy with the turnout.

A few more pics:

217776.jpg

217773.jpg

217774.jpg

217777.jpg

And three more displays without pictures. Sorry for hijacking the thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

Storm 10 wrote: »

Great show and great crowd! Press office for festival are saying 6,000 for attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭television

Skyfest have a Folland Gnat :D for their display, would have like to see that at Bray. Gerry Humphrys & Dave Bruton will also display their skills.

Bykovo
    bray will never have a gnat or any other jet [apart from airliners or military transport types but no trainers or fighters] as the organisers cant be bothered.the gnats team were supposed to be there a few years back as was a hawker hunter [and possably a jet provost] this year but just the usual bull**** excuses from the cheif organiser [i personnally know him and am sick of the excuses].this show is so predictable that if you were to name the pilots,aircraft types and the order in which they display you would be 95% to 99% correct for next years show [going by previous line ups].i will never again waste my time going to this :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

television wrote: »
    bray will never have a gnat or any other jet [apart from airliners or military transport types but no trainers or fighters] as the organisers cant be bothered....................... just the usual bull**** excuses from the cheif organiser [i personnally know him and am sick of the excuses]............ :mad:
    I don't want to pry too much but do you think the organiser is the problem?
    Is there a decent sized organising team involved in Bray?

I don't know the individual myself but have read a few references to 1 person ('the guy who runs it') in this thread. Could this be the problem,that it is organised by a single person? Could he do more with more people to support him? Or is it the personality/attitude of the organiser the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭television

i dont know if he is the problem as such,but what i can tell you is he is a captain in aer lingus [so you would think he would have an intrest in trying to improve this instead of getting 95% the exact same aircraft year in year out].if money is the problem thats fair enough but he should just come out and say it instead of saying this aircraft or that aircraft is coming when he knows full well it is not coming...in other words just be honest about this and stop feeding the public false claims and then backing it up with untrue excuses as to why these aircraft didnt / dont turn up

• Advertisement
Advertisement