Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TII Motorway Service Areas (MSA) Progress Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The one on the M4 in Enfield looks like it will be finished perhaps by next easter but at least Galwaybound at least you have a good choice where the M6 ends at the Athlone Bypass , exit N62 towards Birr and Kilmartins on the next roundabout at 250m offers 4 places to eat incl McDonalds and Subway and is only 300m from the Motorway.

24 hours for petrol and groceries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

I practically consider that area at athlone a service station with everything being so close to the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

df1985 wrote: »
    I practically consider that area at athlone a service station with everything being so close to the road.
    And are they signed as such so that people that dont know the area in the slightest know that these facilities are available?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

No but im just saying from my point of view.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

df1985 wrote: »
    No but im just saying from my point of view.

and mine. Everybody in Galway knows it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,800 ✭✭✭✭flazio

And are they signed as such so that people that dont know the area in the slightest know that these facilities are available?

Actually, it's Applegreen that get the services sign a bit further down the road despite having much fewer services available.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

wellbutty wrote: »
    With an overpass just beside it, I would've thought it would be cheaper to build just one service station and two new slips. But it's great to see some progress on these.

It'd be cheaper, but the NRA appear to want double-sided sites on busier sections going by their proposals. Even though single-sided could have more services on one side...

They also seem to want them to be entirely isolated from the non-motorway road network as far as I can see. The only proposed one on a junction I can remember was on a motorway-motorway junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

MYOB wrote: »
    They also seem to want them to be entirely isolated from the non-motorway road network as far as I can see. The only proposed one on a junction I can remember was on a motorway-motorway junction.
    No problem with that as far as I can see. Standard practice to discourage MSAs from becoming destinations in and of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

etchyed wrote: »
    No problem with that as far as I can see. Standard practice to discourage MSAs from becoming destinations in and of themselves.
    I think the prices they will charge will take care of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

The NRA released this MSA status update in February of this year (attached).

Synopsis:

Next one to be built is the M11 service area. My reaction to this:

:confused:

:(

:mad:

Planning permission has been granted for the Cashel, Athlone and Kilcullen areas. But these won't start "until the exchequer returns improve".

As for the rest, the NRA isn't lifting a finger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Well, infuriating as it is, its not as if we didn't know this already.

In fact I'd say at least they were clever enough to get an MSA included as part of the M11 upgrade works. That actually shows that somebody was thinking about the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

As much as I'd like to congratulate the NRA on being as practical as possible in the situation they're in...

They brought this upon themselves by being too slow to make up their mind on whether we needed the bloody MSAs.

If they'd shown foresight from the beginning and actually built them along with the motorways we wouldn't be having this discussion. However, I may be jumping the gun, and there might be some other variable I'm not aware of that stopped them from doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

BluntGuy wrote: »
    However, I may be jumping the gun, and there might be some other variable I'm not aware of that stopped them from doing this.

I doubt it actually! I'd say they just never considered the prospect of the money running out. :D

But as you say at least they were being practical in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

I don't see it happening yet in my area (and I rarely use any motorway other than the M9) but with the opening of the new motorway junctions there just has to be business opportunity for entrepreneurs. The need for private filling stations/shops/cafes etc. is obvious and if they can find sites just off the junctions surely they must be viable.

I can see it in some towns near me which have been bypassed and the local filling station is closed down. Here is a ready means of employment for those living near the junctions. Obviously getting planning permission may be a problem but at least Kilkenny Co. Council have adopted the following in their current Development Plan -

"IE10 To co-operate with the National Roads Authority to identify the need for service areas and/or rest areas for motorists along the route of the M8/M9 motorways and to assist in the implementation of suitable proposals for provision of service and/or rest areas."

It may not be quite what I am talking about but it shows the right spirit at least.

There is an obvious need for these services and it would be foolish to ignore the development and employment potential. It also gets around the budget problem with the NRA but prising loans from the banks could be almost as big a problem. However, some land owners may just have some "road money" (CPO compensation) to invest.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What is the point of the NRA building one at Cashel when there's a private one being on a junction at Cashel?

Oh, wait, they're building one at Balbriggan when there's one ALREADY built on a junction there...

And as goes the M11 one being next, was that not planned to be built as part of the PPP?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yes, its in the Newlands/M11 PPP contract, as is maintenance for a chunk of the M11. Thats closest to (potentially) starting, so will be the next one to be built.

Still nothing on the M7/8/9 though, which is stupid. (Not counting the private cashel one)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Yes, its in the Newlands/M11 PPP contract, as is maintenance for a chunk of the M11. Thats closest to (potentially) starting, so will be the next one to be built.

Still nothing on the M7/8/9 though, which is stupid. (Not counting the private cashel one)

There's also the one just off the motorway at Portlaoise. Horse & Jockey is about 1km from the motorway - not that big a deal.

Here's a report from Morning Ireland about how Monasterevin has fared since it was bypassed by the M7.

http://www.rte.ie/news/morningireland/player.html?20100603,2764928,2764929,real,209

There's also the one just off the motorway at Portlaoise.

Neither 24hr nor sells any fuel of any kind....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Galwaybound at least you have a good choice where the M6 ends at the Athlone Bypass , exit N62 towards Birr and Kilmartins on the next roundabout at 250m offers 4 places to eat incl McDonalds and Subway and is only 300m from the Motorway.

24 hours for petrol and groceries.

sorry if this is OT but

Would it be safe to park there for a weekend (looking for somewhere to park in Athlone for the weekend as getting a lift from there)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

interesting article in yesterday's Sunday Business Post saying Topaz will privately fund up to 15 MSSs which will have no public sector involvement with the first due to open in November at the Cashel interchange on the M8. McDonalds will open a restaurant within the complex.

http://www.thepost.ie/news/ireland/topaz-planning-major-expansion-49868.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Fair play to Topaz for showing a bit of initiative but I cant see how these stations will survive once the NRA gets round to building the rest of the online MSAs they have planned. I doubt the NRA will allow them to erect signs on the motorways advertising competing offline services when they have a contract with another company to operate online stations. Im sure if they did it wouldnt be long before they heard from SuperStop's (the consortium who won the contract to design, build, finance, maintain and operate the first six MSAs) lawyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Fair play to Topaz for showing a bit of initiative but I cant see how these stations will survive once the NRA gets round to building the rest of the online MSAs they have planned. I doubt the NRA will allow them to erect signs on the motorways advertising competing offline services when they have a contract with another company to operate online stations. Im sure if they did it wouldnt be long before they heard from SuperStop's (the consortium who won the contract to design, build, finance, maintain and operate the first six MSAs) lawyers.
    There are ways round that one - signs on trailers in fields etc. At any rate the timescale (basically none) the NRA are indicating for developing most of the MSAs around the country would seem to indicate that a private operator just off a junction would have plenty of time to get established.

Just had a look at the Topaz/McDonalds site off the M8 at Cashel. Nothing happening whatsoever. It will hardly be open next Spring, never mind November.

Furet wrote: »
    Just had a look at the Topaz/McDonalds site off the M8 at Cashel. Nothing happening whatsoever. It will hardly be open next Spring, never mind November.

Don't forget, they can build those McD's in only a few weeks, they almost appear as if by magic!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Don't forget, they can build those McD's in only a few weeks, they almost appear as if by magic!
    indeed
    heres a mc donalds built in 24 hours
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMi5RJKKOlc

still, the foundations, installation of underground perol tanks, electrical/ water/ sewerage services can be in progress but to the passing observer nothing much is happening. (although when waiting for the ESB to connect you you might REALLY have nothing happening ;-) )

That's very interesting! Still, it's not just the McDonalds - the Topaz has to be built too. I walked around the site and it hasn't changed in almost a year. There is kerbing down, but nothing else. I hope it opens asap to be honest. I fired off an email to Topaz there to ask what their rough schedule is.

Topaz just got back to me there. Construction works are due to start within the next two weeks, and a 22-week build period is envisaged. It will open for sure by late November or early December, I am told.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    I doubt the NRA will allow them to erect signs on the motorways advertising competing offline services when they have a contract with another company to operate online stations. Im sure if they did it wouldnt be long before they heard from SuperStop's (the consortium who won the contract to design, build, finance, maintain and operate the first six MSAs) lawyers.

The NRA
    is willing, in principle, to facilitate the erection of advance notification signage on national roads close to interchange exits that give access to privately developed service areas with facilities limited to those catering for road user needs. The signage must comply with NRA standards and specification. The promoters of such service areas will be responsible for the cost of signage manufacture and erection and for costs associated with future maintenance, including any necessary signage replacement.

From an NRA document.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

This was just posted yesterday evening on Facebook:

"A new service area off the M8 at junction 8 (Cashel) will start construction next week. The services will include a Topaz filling station and a McDonalds Drive-Thru restaurant. Both will be open by November."

http://www.facebook.com/pages/M8-motorway-Ireland/131113886902670?ref=ts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Why does the NRA need to develop MSA's at all

Cant they just tender them out per route. the succesful bidder pays X for motorway access per year. There is no need to PPP or any public money needed IMHO

Advertisement