Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HEAR and reduced points

• 29-04-2014 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

So i was wondering about the reduced points that can come with being a HEAR candidate. It says those who get about 10-15% off the required points could get in on the reduced points. So say a course is 500 points ( 450 is 10% off) so would i be ok in saying if i got 470 or that area that id be pretty sure of getting a reduced points offer?? ..or is the reality that those who get in this way are really only 5 or 10 points off the normal required points

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

kev44 wrote: »
    So i was wondering about the reduced points that can come with being a HEAR candidate. It says those who get about 10-15% off the required points could get in on the reduced points. So say a course is 500 points ( 450 is 10% off) so would i be ok in saying if i got 470 or that area that id be pretty sure of getting a reduced points offer?? ..or is the reality that those who get in this way are really only 5 or 10 points off the normal required points

I dont know myself but my friend on the HEAR scheme was only off by 5 points and was hence allowed in.

I have another friend who was 45 points off but was allowed in on the DARE scheme.

(My course was 405 points)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭clarbar

Hi i applied for HEAR in 2010 applied for english and history In ul points were 380 and I only got 290 points but my strongest grades were in those subjects for the leaving cert so no worries if your good at what ypur applying for you should get it

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

To tell the truth, it really depends on the demand for the course. For instance if you wanted to do medicine, you would get little or nothing off whereas something like media or arts, you may get a lot more points off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

clarbar wrote: »
    Hi i applied for HEAR in 2010 applied for english and history In ul points were 380 and I only got 290 points but my strongest grades were in those subjects for the leaving cert so no worries if your good at what ypur applying for you should get it

It will depend on supply and demand for places on the course and the amount of HEAR applicants that have applied for places.

If there are only 20 places on a course and it's the only one of it's type in the country, and there are 10 HEAR applicants, none might get an offer, or only 1 at most. If it's say Arts in UCD which is the largest course in the country I believe with 1200 places then things are a bit different, more room for manoeuvre.

One of my past students applied for English and History in UL last year on the HEAR scheme and didn't get it when she was about 60 points short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

clarbar wrote: »
    but my strongest grades were in those subjects for the leaving cert so no worries if your good at what ypur applying for you should get it

Just to reiterate as said above that unless it's an entry requirement having certain grades in certain subjects doesn't give you any preference, it's all about points and demand.

You'd be surprised about high points courses, I have a friend in business and law in ucd which I think is or was something like 520 at the time and he was about 80 points off. I was on the Hear orientation week myself and one of the lads said he was about 25 points off for medicine and was there and I've heard lots of stories about people getting into NUIG with around 700.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭marko747

d1234 wrote: »
    To tell the truth, it really depends on the demand for the course. For instance if you wanted to do medicine, you would get little or nothing off whereas something like media or arts, you may get a lot more points off.

Hi just wondering about using HEAR/DARE for medicine? I understand that there is a Minimum of 15% in all courses; divided across 3 access target groups (i.e. HEAR, DARE & Mature Students), access college. On the UCD page it says , that there is a 20% reduction on HEAR and a 15% for DARE for entry to medicine. So I don't think that your estimation is right. Is there not a set procedure already in place for entry? I don't think that it depends on demand, that's the CAO, which obviously still plays a factor. Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Does anyone know when you find out if you are
    eligible?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Does anyone know when you find out if you are
    eligible?

After the exams as far as I know, sometime around the end of June

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

jwcurtin wrote: »
    After the exams as far as I know, sometime around the end of June

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭dcam

marko747 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering about using HEAR/DARE for medicine? I understand that there is a Minimum of 15% in all courses; divided across 3 access target groups (i.e. HEAR, DARE & Mature Students), access college. On the UCD page it says , that there is a 20% reduction on HEAR and a 15% for DARE for entry to medicine. So I don't think that your estimation is right. Is there not a set procedure already in place for entry? I don't think that it depends on demand, that's the CAO, which obviously still plays a factor. Thanks :)

HEAR/DARE admission does demand on supply and demand. I know of people who have gotten in by such routes and the % reduction in points just means that that is the maximum number of points that can be taken off. However it does not mean that if you have those points that you are automatically offered a place. There are a set number of places reserved for HEAR/DARE students and the places always go to the student(s) with the highest CAO points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 egg head

hi there,
    Are ye happy with results? It's a waiting game now - Monday 6 am - hurry on :)

Advertisement