Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Public service career break extended unexpectedly

• 06-03-2012 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

I'm in the public service and I took a three year incentivised career break due to having an ill relative to care for. She's since died, sadly. I was due to go back to work early in 2013, but today I got a letter from Personnel saying that there's no vacancy for me to return yet, it might be up to a year before I can go back, and the incentivised career break payment stops in December this year regardless. Does anyone know if I'll be entitled to any social welfare after that? Obviously I'm going to be looking for work, but in this economy, who knows how long that's going to take. Thanks in advance for any help.

Mods, please would you move this post if it's in the wrong place? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Hi,

I'm fairly sure if you can't be placed you are entitled to apply for jobseekers benefit/allowance while you wait for an opening.

I presume while you were getting paid on the incentivised break the payments were subject to prsi, which means you should qualify for jobseekers benefit. Seeing as the cap for payments was set at 12000 you will probably only qualify for a graduated rate of benefit (147.80 p/w iirc), due to your average weekly earnings being less than 300 for the year 2010 (which is the 'gcy' or year which is taken into account for new benefit claims in 2012).

Sorry if that is confusing! Any further question and I'll try answer tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sorry for your loss. Do you own a house here or are you renting? If the latter, would you consider going abroad (oz?) for a while and work down there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

I am in the same situation, I took a 12 month career break. At the end of the period I was then told that I must be placed within 12 months of the end of the career break- the policy they are now using is to hold off until 364 days after the of the initial break. :(

So if you took a career break today 6/03/12, you should be able to go back to work on 6/03/13 but now you must wait an additional 364 days which is technically within a year and then be placed on 05/03/13.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Immaculata

Halloween Jack, I'm glad to know that I'll probably be able to claim social welfare from the end of this year if I have to, thanks.

the_syco: Thank you. I will consider going away for a bit. I'm too old at 41 to get a working visa in Oz or anyplace like that but maybe I can figure something out elsewhere.

axel rose: Sorry to hear that you're in the same situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Jesus that's rough. You might have better luck asking in this forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=861

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Jobseeker's Benefit is based on your stamps - for 2013, it will be based on those stamps you have from 2011.
    You will need to check with Personnel to see what type of contribution you were paying while on the career break - only certain types count for jobseekers benefit.
    If you don't have the stamps for Benefit, you can apply for Jobseeker's Allowance which is means tested.

Check with your Personnel Department if they don't have a place for you to go back, are there any other departments where you can go to. For example, Social Welfare may have some openings for example if you were willing to move to another area in the civil service?

Advertisement