Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Knuckle - RTE Sunday

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Watched it on youtube during the week.. Have a lot of respect for James Quinn McDonagh, but not a lot for the rabble that follow him nor for the other families.. Well worth watching, but NOT for the faint hearted..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Watched it on youtube during the week.. Have a lot of respect for James Quinn McDonagh, but not a lot for the rabble that follow him nor for the other families.. Well worth watching, but NOT for the faint hearted..

James definitely stands out but as much common sense he has he still gets pulled back into fighting. The usual crowd will say that it perpetuates stereotypes and such like but it isn't extremely sensationalistic - the travellers wont allow that and it was over many years. It wasn't a slap dash prejudged effort the guy just filmed naturalistically over many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭SooooBored

Defo worth a watch. I watched this online a few months ago, cant wait to see it again 2nite but in better quality. As said above, it was shot over 12 years and not some sh1t tv3 youtube production. No doubt it will be in the paper with the usual negative press calling them savages but lets just watch it for what it is..... real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Have a lot of respect for James Quinn McDonagh

You wouldn't if you knew why he was shot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭baldbear

One of the guys brothers is a murder!Jaysus no wonder they hate each other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

Jesus Christ. This is hard to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Real life fighting :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Stupid decision by RTE to broadcast this - it only will make them feel more proud of themselves, now that it its being covered by a mainstream source.

Travellers should not be allowed the internet with all these brow beating videos.....

And how in the name of God do they have twenty grand to pay someone for a fight? I dunno I teach traveller girls and I try to be sympathetic to their situation and respect their culture but looking at this makes me question how the hell is that a healthy upbringing for a child. The girls I teach have terrible attendance, are practically illiterate and will have left school by 16 and married by 18. They will never have control over their own lives and their own bodies. Their hygiene is really poor and even though the other students are actually lovely to them, they are still very much on the periphery. Although, maybe they want it that way. Still, it's all well and good to accept different cultures- it's quite another thing to accept living like animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80,669 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Outside of the fight scenes it's gas, like a spoof documentary, I'm in tears hear laughing at the pethriddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Your man james joyce doesn't look much.

Dipping your hand in petrol for 20 mins a day. Good jesus his son is fighting in the olympics. Definatly a gold!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

It's like a spin-off of the Hardy Bucks!

Silly decision by RTE to have it on now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

Maybe TV3 will invite the Joyces to go 'All Star Family Fortunes'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Stupid decision by RTE to broadcast this - it only will make them feel more proud of themselves, now that it its being covered by a mainstream source.

Agree 100%, i'm getting pretty sick of watchin travellers on TV over the last two years. James Quinn on the Late Late show on Friday night was the most unconvincing i've seen in a while. RTE, channel 4 etc are only glorifying these idiots. I'd like to know why CAB are'nt targeting all these families and seizing fancy vehicles and cash ???
    I know of one paticular local family that have claimed hundreds of thousands from the council, motor insurance claims etc, horrible individuals that do nothing to benefit society

The actual sheeite-talk they come out with is pathetic. If they'd only put the same amount of effort into learning to read and write. Then again, being literate isn't going to help in the knuckle fight against some fella up the road who did something to your mother's cousin's son fifty years ago. Sad. And I mean sad in both senses of the word.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

realies wrote: »
    Real life fighting :-(

These people are all idiots, practically the definition of underclass mongs. The balding guy that won the fight and said he doesn't want to fight anymore seems the only reasonably coherent one.

Having said that, I don't think there should be anything intrinsically wrong with "real life fighting". All other primates do it and rarely get hurt, in general. All the time. They do playfighting, semi-serious fighting, serious fighting etc.

Human anatomy does seem a bit different though, because we prefer to use our knuckles rather than our teeth. Other primates use their teeth, which hurt vastly more, but a sharp bang to the head can cause brain trauma which is something irreversible... unlike bite marks. And the fact that bite marks hurt a lot is the way your body warns you about it. But I fear that humans have evolved in some sort of pathological way.

But you phrase it as "real life fighting"... as opposed to pretend fighting. Well that shows that there is some kind of fighting spirit in you. While I don't endorse them doing this, I think that it is so much infinitely better than doing other things, such as getting involved in drugs or using knives or guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

'This programme contains violent scenes'
    It's bloody barbaric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

It's bloody barbaric.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Caraville wrote: »
    The actual sheeite-talk they come out with is pathetic. If they'd only put the same amount of effort into learning to read and write. Then again, being literate isn't going to help in the knuckle fight against some fella up the road who did something to your mother's cousin's son fifty years ago. Sad. And I mean sad in both senses of the word.

It suits them not to read and write the poor individuals, i bet they can count notes ok !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Great documentary (seen it already in IFI). If its good enough for the Sundance Film Festival, its good enough for RTE, my only problem is I'm getting bored with docus about traveller fighting, it would be great to see one about an unpredictable subject like a gay traveller challenging prejudices or about a traveller successful in business etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

This is like watching WWEF wrestling lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Neadine wrote: »
    It's bloody barbaric.

No better than that Cage Fighting stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Great documentary (seen it already in IFI). If its good enough for the Sundance Film Festival, its good enough for RTE, my only problem is I'm getting bored with docus about traveller fighting, it would be great to see one about an unpredictable subject like a gay traveller challenging prejudices or about a traveller successful in business etc.

IFI are middle class trendy lefties who no doubt see travellers as an 'oppressed ethnicity', or something along those lines.

It should have been kept to that level, than rather be put on to mainstream telly, which will only make these morons happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,845 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Annoying that the subtitles dont match what they're saying a lot of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Neadine wrote: »
    It's bloody barbaric.

I had to explain to my young wife that this is not suitable for her taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I had to explain to my young wife that this is not suitable for his taste.

WTF

• Advertisement

Wasn't this lad in Glenroe???

Advertisement