Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Yea heres a link. From 5:00 minutes to 15:00 minutes I'm entering and maintaining zone 3 (well, according to my watch anyway).
    When I first started using connect I entered my resting HR and took my max HR from a recent interval session. Didnt know I could/had to set HR zones on the watch so I'm just monitoring my HR on the watch
    Thanks Krusty

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks Krusty
    :D
    Yea heres a link. From 5:00 minutes to 15:00 minutes I'm entering and maintaining zone 3 (well, according to my watch anyway).
    When I first started using connect I entered my resting HR and took my max HR from a recent interval session. Didnt know I could/had to set HR zones on the watch so I'm just monitoring my HR on the watch
    There's a couple of ways you could set-up this workout:
    1) Create an Advanced workout in Training Centre (or a workout in Garmin Connect) and set an acceptable range for your HR. The watch will then alert you when you drop out of of exceed this zone.
    2) Get your HR zone ranges right on the watch. Normally this involves setting the zones in Training Centre or Connect, and uploading these to the watch.
    3) Use HR Lap as one of your data fields, and hit the lap button at the start of your 'hr phase'. This will average out your HR for the duration of the lap, so you can keep an eye on it.

I reckon 1 and 3 are just that little bit less flaky than the HR zones as there's less room for ambiguity.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭PGL

I tried out my buddy's forerunner 110 today for an 8km run, and simultaneously used my iPhone miCoach GPS app.

I have always suspected (when using it on proper organised runs) that iPhone apps under estimate distances by approx 1 to 4%. So on the basis that the garmin is presumably more accurate, I would have expected it to clock a longer distance than the iPhone. However the opposite was the case - the garmin measured 8km, and the iPhone measured 8.11km (these distances take stopping at junctions into account). I'm not sure why there is such a discrepancy - perhaps the iPhone app has been updated lately to be more accurate?

Eitherway what are people's experience of the accuracy of garmin watches?

Furthermore, I take it that the pace displayed (when you view the run in the "history" menu) is the overall average pace?
    I ran 8km in 37mins 53.25secs, which by my maths equates to a pace 4.74mins/km. However the garmin displays 4.44mins/km - am I missing something stupid here?

cheers!

When quizzing a shop attendant yesterday (as well as quizzing Krusty and everyone else here for the past week!) about garmin watches, he warned me that if I buy one off a non-Irish website, neither the website or Garmin will fix/replace the watch if anything goes wrong. I am obviously mindful that the shop attendant is a sales person hoping to convince me to buy one off him instead, so I thought the best thing would be to ask you lot if anyone has had a similar experience?

thanks a million folks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

PGL wrote: »
    Furthermore, I take it that the pace displayed (when you view the run in the "history" menu) is the overall average pace?
    I ran 8km in 37mins 53.25secs, which by my maths equates to a pace 4.74mins/km. However the garmin displays 4.44mins/km - am I missing something stupid here?

cheers!

You are mixing up how the garmin displays the pace and how you calculate pace.

37 min 53 sec is 37.88 min /8km = 4.74 min/km ( In this case .74 is a decimal not a no of seconds)

.74 of 1 min is 44 sec.

The garmin displayed 4.44 which 4min 44 sec which is correct.

• Advertisement

I have always suspected (when using it on proper organised runs) that iPhone apps under estimate distances by approx 1 to 4%. So on the basis that the garmin is presumably more accurate, I would have expected it to clock a longer distance than the iPhone. However the opposite was the case - the garmin measured 8km, and the iPhone measured 8.11km (these distances take stopping at junctions into account). I'm not sure why there is such a discrepancy - perhaps the iPhone app has been updated lately to be more accurate?

8.11km vs 8km is only a difference of 1.4% which is within the margin of error for either device.

Both the iPhone app and the garmin calculate the distance in the same way
    By finding out where you are every x no of seconds and working out the difference in distance between each measurement point.

You would need to compare them a number of times to see if the discrepancy is the same each time.

How often does the iPhone app take a measurement point compared to the garmin ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

2) Get your HR zone ranges right on the watch. Normally this involves setting the zones in Training Centre or Connect, and uploading these to the watch.

Ta, KC. I'll give this a whack as the other two seem a bit fiddly. So, was my watch displaying the wrong zone in the above workout? (And as such, was a waste of a workout)

huskerdu wrote: »
    You are mixing up how the garmin displays the pace and how you calculate pace.

37 min 53 sec is 37.88 min /8km = 4.74 min/km ( In this case .74 is a decimal not a no of seconds)

.74 of 1 min is 44 sec.

The garmin displayed 4.44 which 4min 44 sec which is correct.

spot on huskerdu - dooh!!!!!

Both the iPhone app and the garmin calculate the distance in the same way

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong, but as far as I know the garmin works off satelites whereas the iPhone is working off a phone signal, so they may not be calculating distance the same way....

As i said earlier, the only way to really gauge distance errors is when you use them in official runs - what is people's experience of garmin's distance errors in official runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Hi,

Maybe somebody can help me with an issue I'm having with the Garmin Fit App for my Android phone.

I use it to record the distance of my runs as my FR60 can't do this for me. It worked fine for the first while, when I got home after a run I activated the Wi-Fi on the phone and it uploaded by workouts to Garmin Connect.

However, for the last couple of days this hasn't worked and I can't find an option to force it to upload. I re-logged in on the phone and selected refresh and it uploaded one of the missing workouts, but there are still two left and it just won't upload them for me.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

Ideally, I'd love to upgrade to a GPS watch, but this just isn't possible at the moment.

• Advertisement

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong, but as far as I know the garmin works off satelites whereas the iPhone is working off a phone signal, so they may not be calculating distance the same way....

As i said earlier, the only way to really gauge distance errors is when you use them in official runs - what is people's experience of garmin's distance errors in official runs?

I was under the impression that the iPhone had a GPS receiver and the app used it.

BUT, I'm no expert it would be interesting if someone could confirm this.

I was under the impression that the iPhone had a GPS receiver and the app used it.

BUT, I'm no expert it would be interesting if someone could confirm this.
    You can approximate a phone's position from phone masts, but no, you couldn't do anything like track locations, direction etc from the masts. Alternatively, Google uses Wifi signatures to identify where you are, but again, you couldn't use it for direction/pace/tracking etc. Has to be GPS.

As for GPS accuracy, it really depends on where you are, visibility of the sky etc. I generally find them very accurate (within a couple of hundred metres over the course of a marathon).

pointer28 wrote: »
    Hi,

Maybe somebody can help me with an issue I'm having with the Garmin Fit App for my Android phone.

I use it to record the distance of my runs as my FR60 can't do this for me. It worked fine for the first while, when I got home after a run I activated the Wi-Fi on the phone and it uploaded by workouts to Garmin Connect.

However, for the last couple of days this hasn't worked and I can't find an option to force it to upload. I re-logged in on the phone and selected refresh and it uploaded one of the missing workouts, but there are still two left and it just won't upload them for me.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

Ideally, I'd love to upgrade to a GPS watch, but this just isn't possible at the moment.
    Probably best to go to the Garmin Connect forums. They must have a sub-forum for the Garmin Fit App.

Ta, KC. I'll give this a whack as the other two seem a bit fiddly. So, was my watch displaying the wrong zone in the above workout? (And as such, was a waste of a workout)
    I would've thought that the 1st and 3rd suggestion are a lot less fiddly, as they are based on absolute HR values, while Heart Rate 'Zones' is an abstracted concept, and liable to be erroneous (if you have different zone information on different devices/applications).

Unfortunately I can't really see the zone information (splits don't include HR zones). From the graph, it certainly looks like you were in zone 3 from 5mins to 15 mins. It took you a minute+ to get into zone 3, and then you maintained it until the 15 minute mark, at which point it drops off. You should probably hit lap, as you target the specific zone, so you can isolate the data for analysis.

When quizzing a shop attendant yesterday (as well as quizzing Krusty and everyone else here for the past week!) about garmin watches, he warned me that if I buy one off a non-Irish website, neither the website or Garmin will fix/replace the watch if anything goes wrong. I am obviously mindful that the shop attendant is a sales person hoping to convince me to buy one off him instead, so I thought the best thing would be to ask you lot if anyone has had a similar experience?

thanks a million folks

the lack of responses suggests no-one had any issues with their garmin watches, which is postive..... is that the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I bought my Garmin from Amazon. When it stopped working (about 6 months later) I contacted Garmin support directly, and they replaced it.

RayCun wrote: »
    I bought my Garmin from Amazon. When it stopped working (about 6 months later) I contacted Garmin support directly, and they replaced it.

Thanks for that RayCun

Out of interest, was Garmin the actual seller in this case, or will they stand over their products regardless of who sells them?

cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I bought from Amazon, not directly from Garmin. I think there's a general warranty period, no matter who you buy from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Did you setup an Advanced workout in Garmin Training Centre, or set it up on the watch? You need to make sure that it is not using the HR zones (which are pretty crap in my opinion), instead using 'custom', which I assume uses your min and max HR values (never tried it, to be honest). Also, might be worth your while making sure your 'beep' is still working.

I have set-up workouts in Garmin Connect ([Workouts] tab), with Min/Max pace, and the alerts worked fine. Too fine, in fact. They were bloody annoying! The only problem with Workouts created in Garmin Connect, is that you only seem to be able to send one to your device (405) at any one time. It seems to erase/overwrite existing work-outs. But maybe that's been fixed since I last tried.

Discovered the problem. I did hit Do Workout but welllll, <deep breath>, apparently you've to hit start as well to get the workout to um, start. <blush>

<wanders off to find the pointy hat with the big D on it>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Kylen Warm Beaker

My home laptop is completly buggered and whilst i can upload my forerunner 305 files to my work laptop it is not recognising the edge 500 device. I have tried updating the drivers etc and it keeps coming up with "This is an unsupported OS version. Must be Windows XP SP3 or better"

Help please, the work laptop is Windows XP and as i mentioned recognises the 305 and file downloads.

• Advertisement

My home laptop is completly buggered and whilst i can upload my forerunner 305 files to my work laptop it is not recognising the edge 500 device. I have tried updating the drivers etc and it keeps coming up with "This is an unsupported OS version. Must be Windows XP SP3 or better"

Help please, the work laptop is Windows XP and as i mentioned recognises the 305 and file downloads.
    Does it have SP3 installed?

Does it have SP3 installed?

It should have i would have thought as automatic updates is switched on:confused: I have an SP3 windows update running to be sure so will soon find out if thats an issue.

It should have i would have thought as automatic updates is switched on:confused: I have an SP3 windows update running to be sure so will soon find out if thats an issue.
    [Start] [Control Panel] [System] should tell you which SP you have installed.

[Start] [Control Panel] [System] should tell you which SP you have installed.

SP3 updated on windows, communicator plug in updated, usd drivers updated and i am still getting this message on the Garmin test page...very frustrating:mad:

"Communicator Plugin is properly installed and up to date, version 3.0.1.0.

Garmin GPS device is NOT detected. To complete test, connect device and refresh page. If a Garmin device is connected and you're still having problems, download and install the latest Garmin USB drivers."

SP3 updated on windows, communicator plug in updated, usd drivers updated and i am still getting this message on the Garmin test page...very frustrating:mad:

"Communicator Plugin is properly installed and up to date, version 3.0.1.0.

Garmin GPS device is NOT detected. To complete test, connect device and refresh page. If a Garmin device is connected and you're still having problems, download and install the latest Garmin USB drivers."
    Can you try a different browser? how does the 500 communicate; is it via a USB/cradle, or an ANT USB dongle? Could possibly indicate a problem with your device

Sorted KC the work laptop was not recognising/blocking device so a sticky bun and a cup of tea to the IT Manager sorted it;). Thanks for your help.

Sorted KC the work laptop was not recognising/blocking device so a sticky bun and a cup of tea to the IT Manager sorted it;). Thanks for your help.
    Lol. If only all of life's problems could be sorted with a sticky bun and a cup of tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Just got a 310xt.

Downloaded the web uploader, and the driver software before plugging in the USB AGENT key as advised, wouldn't pair with device after plugging in, got error messages for the USB key when trying to open it from the start menu. Emailed it off to support.

Noticed that I didn;t have the Garmin Connect Software, so downloaded this as well.

Tried all again, still the same message for the USB key, also seen an error message for the web uploader, sent this message off as well.

Waiting responces, but any suggestions what I could do in the mean time.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Just got a 310xt.

Downloaded the web uploader, and the driver software before plugging in the USB AGENT key as advised, wouldn't pair with device after plugging in, got error messages for the USB key when trying to open it from the start menu. Emailed it off to support.

Noticed that I didn;t have the Garmin Connect Software, so downloaded this as well.

Tried all again, still the same message for the USB key, also seen an error message for the web uploader, sent this message off as well.

Waiting responces, but any suggestions what I could do in the mean time.
    Well, don't keep us in suspense! Share the error messages with us and we might be able to help. There is no Garmin Connect software by the way. Just the ANT Agent software, the USB drivers, and optionally, Garmin Training Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Ant Agent Message

App: Garmin ANT Agent(tm)
    At: 1/21/2012 10:01:29 PM (UTC)
    Processor: x86, Processor Level: 6, Processors:2, Model: 14 Stepping: 12, RAM: 1045952
    GLO_SMARTPTR.HPP-105-2.2.17.0
    Language ID: 1033
    Part Number: 006-A0214-00
    Build Type: Release
    Stack Trace:

Wont let me copy the Web updater message, only lets me send the report, didn't get a confirmation when hitting send so dont even know if it did send.

Advertisement