Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

• 30-08-2013 11:01am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

So far I've only ever heard irish people stammering, ok granted I live in Ireland.

I've traveled a lot and never heard a foreigner with a stammer.

Has anyone else noticed this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DelftBlue

Well research says that 1% of the population stutters and that it applies in every country. Here in Ireland I have met Dutch, French, Polish, Serbian & African people who stutter. A few years ago the International Fluency Congress was held in Dublin and through that I met people from Belgium, Germany, England, Scotland and America. I think if you do a search you will find stuttering associations from India, Australia, New Zealand to name but a few.
    So, no, it is not just Irish people who stutter

• Registered Users Posts: 37 arold10

Well, there are not that many people who stutter it may be hard for you to ever come across one consequently. That does not necessarily mean that people who are from other countries all around the world don't. I am from to Haiti and I've been living in the United States for well over 8 years, I've only met one guy who stutters during that period. But, when going online through various forums I get the chance to interact with a number of them. You'll find them where is there is something created for the sole purpose of giving stutter the opportunity to interact with each other on a regular basis. Such as sharing techniques, tips, and therapies that are being used in order to overcome their speech impediment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

I was watching the 7's rugby in the commonwealth games and one of the South African players being interviewed afterwards had a pretty serious stammer. He's the first non-white person i've ever seen with a stammer.

Advertisement