Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommended Speech Therapists

• 29-06-2014 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I have been frequenting this forum on and off for several years I stop by now and then every time I'm motivated enough to look for speech therapy.

I have a minor stammer(compared to most) where I cant make phone calls without stammering heavily and often stammer when talking to new people. I also find it hard to talk in large groups but apart from that my day to day life isn't that bad.

A few months ago I decided I wanted to go private and find a speech therapist in Dublin (HSE wont cover over 18s) I was shocked at the different rates I got back from different speech therapists. The average price was around €q00 per hour with some charging assessment fees of €300 also. I can't believe how expensive it is? I still wonder how speech therapists " get away" with charging such high prices? especially to students.

Anyway I want to get rid of my stammer once and for all and would like to begin speech therapy. I'm looking for people who have used specific therapists successfully I would like to hear about their experiences and recommendations and what they paid etc..

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Stammering 4 Ireland

Hi all,

I have been frequenting this forum on and off for several years I stop by now and then every time I'm motivated enough to look for speech therapy.

I have a minor stammer(compared to most) where I cant make phone calls without stammering heavily and often stammer when talking to new people. I also find it hard to talk in large groups but apart from that my day to day life isn't that bad.

A few months ago I decided I wanted to go private and find a speech therapist in Dublin (HSE wont cover over 18s) I was shocked at the different rates I got back from different speech therapists. The average price was around €q00 per hour with some charging assessment fees of €300 also. I can't believe how expensive it is? I still wonder how speech therapists " get away" with charging such high prices? especially to students.

Anyway I want to get rid of my stammer once and for all and would like to begin speech therapy. I'm looking for people who have used specific therapists successfully I would like to hear about their experiences and recommendations and what they paid etc..

Thanks.

Hiya. I tried speech therapy as a child to no avail. I attended the McGuire Programme at the age of 31 and it has changed my life. It did cost €1300 for the three day course but u can go to as many courses as you want to after for nothing. It is not for everyone but u can try the first day and a half for no charge.

If you want more information just let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭sadie9

Some of the insurance companies cover half the costs of speech therapy and assessment. Also if you get a GP to refer you first, you may be able to claim a tax credit for some of the treatment costs as medical costs.

Advertisement