Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

On a €10 fill of Petrol how much extra is it ok to put in?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

And here was I thinking the tiger days were over. It seems not.

There's still a set of people who seem determined to take stuff for free and feel insulted when they are asked to pay the full amount for what they bought. It's not like someone who works there gave you too much fuel and made you pay it - you took too much.

And then some of them decide to punish the establishment by taking their business to a cheaper one down the road. I mean, if it really is 7c cheaper then why not just go there in the first place ?

Having spent over €82 it's likely you bought in the region of 45-50l. At a difference of 7c/l that means you deliberately paid them over €3 extra. And here you are getting annoyed by them charging you an 'extra' 2c.

And to top it all off - "if i was back again i would have thrown back the 8c as i don't want that rubbish anyway" - this is like saying "I don't want none of your steeeeeeeeenking money, take it back, it disgusts me, I have no need for money" Except of course you do have need of money, or you wouldn't be on here giving out about how the place 'stole' 2c of it in the first place.

It's no wonder this country is in the mess it is . . .

z

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Chances are the place down the road selling it for 7c cheaper is selling watered-down ****e that will only get you half the mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you let 10 customers a day get away with 3 cents it's just 30 cents a day but over time it accumulates.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭panevthe3rd

gbee wrote: »
    Sure, there should be an option to set the pump to your purchase limit. It can be done already for 24hr prepay sites, you can physically pump all you want but it'll only deliver the prepaid amount.

It should not be that difficult to make it a customer option.

I was in a petrol station down in dungarvan once and saw I had to prepay. That was fine by me, went in and asked for €20 on pump 6, grand job. Then she told me that the pump doesn't cut off automatically so I'll have to stop it at 20 myself.

Not a problem really but its a easy way for the petrol station to lose money on every transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

3 cent was my limit when working at a service station though if anyone paid by card I would charge what ever they got. Balances out =D :rolleyes:

I usually have a card to pay but I never intentionally go over the amount if I only have cash on me. If I do I usually have some coinage in case they ask for it.

Some idiot filled up going 75 cent over and argued with me about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

seamus wrote: »
    Chances are the place down the road selling it for 7c cheaper is selling watered-down ****e that will only get you half the mileage.

o_rly_Random-s225x225-307864-580.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

hawkwing wrote: »
    Yes i paid 3e more than i needed to because i'm going in there for over 10yrs cos they were always friendly to me--my apologies,this was a stupid thing to do!.Also apologies for looking for something for free even though i handed in 2*50 notes for 8202?. And finally i'm very sorry for not liking small change,i always throw it into the cancer box if available but will learn to stop this. I will keep going back there now due to the great service.And i am also sorry for making the country into such a mess .:rolleyes: ffs!!
    Those are choices you freely made - they don't entitle you to any free fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭sonyvision

I give them 9:95 to compensate for all the tight arse people trying to rob a few cent worth of petrol......
    if your that mean just push your car around and save every thing:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

seamus wrote: »

Ah boards.ie thread about a fellow who knows a fellow, high level evidence there :rolleyes:.

Seriously most petrol comes from the same place, same tankers etc. Some garages just discount it as a loss leader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

In fairness Id be pretty annoyed if I got handed back 17.98 change from €100 when buying €80 petrol. More often than not going 1-2c over is caused by the machine itself rather than anything the customer has done; its not like 1-2c worth of petrol means much to the customer, and chances are if the customer is not paying attention they will go over by 10-20c rather than 1-2c.

Any more than a couple of cent I understand; but if its literally 1c or 2c over (especially when its a large amount like €80) then its extremely petty of the garage not to let it slide. It would certainly annoy me into taking my business elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Seriously most petrol comes from the same place, same tankers etc. Some garages just discount it as a loss leader.

And some do water it down with copious amounts of additives. You'd be very naive to think that some stations don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

djimi wrote: »
    More often than not going 1-2c over is caused by the machine itself rather than anything the customer has done

That doesn't hold any water with me.
    I have never filled up and seen the machine jump a couple of cent unexpectedly. Doing the weekly checks on the pumps at my work also didnt throw up any problems, we had three different generations of pump.

Although I think it could happen under certain circumstances I think so much of that kind of thing is just people not easing the flow towards the end of their fill up well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

biko wrote: »
    If you let 10 customers a day get away with 3 cents it's just 30 cents a day but over time it accumulates.

Except if you didn't ask for it it would be about 100+ times in your 8 hours shift, and as your till would be short you would be responsible for it in a lot of the big conpany run garages

So your till operator is having to pay anything from 3-8 euro a shift to cover it x 5 shifts a week !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Another riveting debate on the Boards.ie Motors forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I like riveting

YORE MA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

djimi wrote: »
    In fairness Id be pretty annoyed if I got handed back 17.98 change from €100 when buying €80 petrol. More often than not going 1-2c over is caused by the machine itself rather than anything the customer has done; its not like 1-2c worth of petrol means much to the customer, and chances are if the customer is not paying attention they will go over by 10-20c rather than 1-2c.

Any more than a couple of cent I understand; but if its literally 1c or 2c over (especially when its a large amount like €80) then its extremely petty of the garage not to let it slide. It would certainly annoy me into taking my business elsewhere.

Would you 'let it slide' if you got left €10 short on you pay cheque?
    Would it annoy you enough to take you labour elsewhere?

Just want to check that this is going to work both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It's pretty unbelievable this is still going. Really after 1 cent I wouldn't care being asked. Wouldn't really care for 1 cent either as long as they asked instead of giving back €9.99.

If it's laser you obviously pay the amount on the till. They're not going to discount you a cent from a laser transaction. It's pretty amazing the attitude of people to some things these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Why do people think it's OK to steal? Me, I pay for what I take - I hold the pump until it goes "click", and whatever amount shows is what I pay.

Advertisement