Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This Ireland rapper show

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

smokedeels wrote: »
    Fair play to them for making independent music. However, the views expressed by the groups about education were illinformed and counter-productive if they are serious about addressing poverty in Ireland.

Was there any decent music on it, seems like they skipped all of the good irish hiphop out there.

There was not one example of anything "gangster" in this show, not one.

that's good to hear, i'll try and watch this once it hits the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

not a bad program but it made me feel a bit sorry for most of them as there's just no hope for IHH imo, it was made clear from the start of the program when it was referenced that the only IHH that has been successful was humor related, iv been saying that for ages and its not going to change imo.

In fairness MissElayneous sounded like she rapped from a dictionary with all the big unnecessary words.

The young fella who free styled from cork with his mate standing next to him sounded like he just finished listening to nas or 50 etc because some of the stuff he rapped was eerily similar, was like a case of deja vu for me with some of his phrases, i think he taught he was in queens and not cork rapping that.

i liked siyo though, i was aware of him. I think he is genuinely a good rapper. Fresh out the gaf i always liked but its never going to be anything these lads are going to make a decent living out of imo.

for any of them that might be reading, i dont mean to be harsh but thats the reality imo unless ye branch out and create your own unique sound like grime etc somewhat of a sub-genre to hip hop but until then i think IHH will always be taking lightly and compared to america and the uk and rightfully so because besides the accent whats different? it doesn't represent our culture so to me i cant relate to the majority of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

lordgoat wrote: »
    that's good to hear, i'll try and watch this once it hits the player.

It is up already.

The first part has some nonsense in it, but it gets better the latter part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

yeah mix a bit of trad in with it

cloptrop wrote: »
    yeah mix a bit of trad in with it

A lot in general yeah as they say they have more in common with trad than US hip-hop.

• Advertisement

A lot in general yeah as they say they have more in common with trad than US hip-hop.

clearly doesnt reflect in the music though.

clearly doesnt reflect in the music though.

Eh, it does not in every song but it clearly does.
    it doesn't represent our culture so to me i cant relate to the majority of it.

The majority of it is about Ireland, so the accent and the lyrics are unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ItsNugget

Mufc I fully understand and agree with a lot of what ya said. For me personally it's never been about making it so to speak. Its a passion. Like somebody spending a lot of time and money on Sunday league football except a bit more obsessive. I know I won't make big money but I enjoy it and get a lot of support. I've been recognised by people in some of the least likely parts of Ireland. In fact I get stopped way more by Irish rap fans in country towns than on Dublin. That said I've gotten a fair bit of rap related work the last 6 months that pays well. Record sales won't pay the bills but rapping and knowing the basic skills and techniques have.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

Word.

What I just dont get is the keeping it real saying . They have no money fame or record sales and yet speak about keeping it real .
    Maybe I just dont understand the meaning of the saying the way they do but isnt it for somebody who is a star saying they are just keeping themselves down to earth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

lordgoat wrote: »

Was there any decent music on it, seems like they skipped all of the good irish hiphop out there.

tbh, None of it interested me, there was a decent track playing when they introduced The Working Class Army but in general it wasn't the style of hip-hop I enjoy.

ItsNugget wrote: »
    Mufc I fully understand and agree with a lot of what ya said. For me personally it's never been about making it so to speak. Its a passion. Like somebody spending a lot of time and money on Sunday league football except a bit more obsessive. I know I won't make big money but I enjoy it and get a lot of support. I've been recognised by people in some of the least likely parts of Ireland. In fact I get stopped way more by Irish rap fans in country towns than on Dublin. That said I've gotten a fair bit of rap related work the last 6 months that pays well. Record sales won't pay the bills but rapping and knowing the basic skills and techniques have.

i can relate to what your saying and totally respect the irish people who decide to rap for whatever reason hobby or career etc but honestly my personal opinion is the majority of IHH isn't good enough and the sooner IHH relieses that the better so then there might be a chance of someone/people like yourself and just taking a chance and creating something very unique to us, like i said somewhat of a hip hop sub-genre.

i know thats a lot easier said than done but personally id love too see it happen and if its good id support it 100 per cent as im sure everyone would but the negativity towards IHH has to stem from somewhere and the majority of the public just doesn't feel it imo, id go as far as saying the majority of irish hip hop fans dont feel most of it tbh.

i cant sit hear and lie and tell you something its good etc to just show my support for IHH but i will give credit when its due like the song you done with siyo and class A's "irish tune" was a banger i gave that several spins on youtube, its on my channel.

But i dont mean to come across as hater towards IHH but its just my honest opinion that the majority of just isnt good enough, id hate to think 5 years down the line we are still having the same conversations about IHH without any breakthrough artist and the reality is we will unless ye can do something to create your unique identity in hip hop.
    The majority of it is about Ireland, so the accent and the lyrics are unique.

rapping from the perspective you have it hard because you grew up in your local council estate or your on the dole isnt unique, hip hop stemmed from real poverty in america trust me it isnt comparable to being poor in ireland in 99 per cent of cases.
    Eh, it does not in every song but it clearly does.

not in any of the songs iv heard anyway but then again i don't listen to IHH as much as you.

rapping from the perspective you have it hard because you grew up in your local council estate or your on the dole isnt unique, hip hop stemmed from real poverty in america trust me it isnt comparable to being poor in ireland in 99 per cent of cases.

not in any of the songs iv heard anyway but then again i don't listen to IHH as much as you.

Again that is a small section of Dublin rap mostly that raps about that. You have said you liked Irish tune there are plenty of other good songs like that even from Dublin rappers alone.

In general I think IHH is to other Hip-Hop as Hip-Hop is to other music most people do not like it. It takes a lot to get people to listen to Hip-Hop and equally so with IHH.

It is just not their thing in some cases or they have not given it a chance in most cases just like Hip-Hop in general.

Again that is a small section of Dublin rap mostly that raps about that. You have said you liked Irish tune there are plenty of other good songs like that even from Dublin rappers alone.

In general I think IHH is to other Hip-Hop as Hip-Hop is to other music most people do not like it. It takes a lot to get people to listen to Hip-Hop and equally so with IHH.

It is just not their thing in some cases or they have not given it a chance in most cases just like Hip-Hop in general.

fair enough, i cant argue with who raps about it or not because i simply dont listen to that much of IHH but i have come across it a lot at least from what i listened to.

but im not being smart or anything but i genuinely believe the music isnt good enough to attract people to IHH, its nothing to really do with hip hop as a whole because as a whole its done quite well here in ireland and is quite popular while the same cant be said for IHH unless its humor related.

a lot of well known american rappers are household names here too, 2pac, biggie, eminem,50 cent, jay z, snoop dogg etc all sell out gigs,sell albums etc here regularly as well as most people knowing who the are worldwide not just america and ireland so most people are well aware of hip hop as a whole in this country.

in fact behind pop, hip hop is arguably the number 1 music genre worldwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

No offence to any of the lads on the show, but you're deluded if you think rapping is going to pay the bills. Irish music in general doesn't sell, never mind an underground genre like Irish rap. How many Irish bands have made it big? U2 and a handful of Louis Walsh's boybands.

On top of this, the music industry is in decline. People prefer to illegally download these days rather than shell out €20 for an album when they only like one song on it. Bands make their money from touring and doing gigs. Didn't Game encourage people to illegally download his songs for exposure so they would come to his concerts. Get a job lads, seriously.

Fo Real wrote: »
    No offence to any of the lads on the show, but you're deluded if you think rapping is going to pay the bills. Irish music in general doesn't sell, never mind an underground genre like Irish rap. How many Irish bands have made it big? U2 and a handful of Louis Walsh's boybands.

On top of this, the music industry is in decline. People prefer to illegally download these days rather than shell out €20 for an album when they only like one song on it. Bands make their money from touring and doing gigs. Didn't Game encourage people to illegally download his songs for exposure so they would come to his concerts. Get a job lads, seriously.

They mostly sell online for cheaper than CDs and they all gig and do battles because that gets more money than music does (even for huge rappers).
    but im not being smart or anything but i genuinely believe the music isnt good enough to attract people to IHH, its nothing to really do with hip hop as a whole because as a whole its done quite well here in ireland and is quite popular while the same cant be said for IHH unless its humor related
    a lot of well known american rappers are household names here too, 2pac, biggie, eminem,50 cent, jay z, snoop dogg etc all sell out gigs,sell albums etc here regularly as well as most people knowing who the are worldwide not just america and ireland so most people are well aware of hip hop as a whole in this country.

in fact behind pop, hip hop is arguably the number 1 music genre worldwide.

Hip-Hop has done ok here, and IHH has done quite well too when scaled down to match its size compared to Em, Kayne, 50 etc who sell well here.

Yeah 2pac shot, biggie shot, Em crazy white young angst, 50 shot, jay-z a few songs, Snoop nothing but a g than and for his acting.
    They sell ok here but not particularly big when compared to pop or rock.

I am not saying Hip-Hop does not do well here but very few acts do well and most are house hold names but ask random people on the street and they will struggle to name songs, albums or lyrics from most of those listed with a few exceptions.

They mostly sell online for cheaper than CDs and they all gig and do battles because that gets more money than music does (even for huge rappers).

Hip-Hop has done ok here, and IHH has done quite well too when scaled down to match its size compared to Em, Kayne, 50 etc who sell well here.

Yeah 2pac shot, biggie shot, Em crazy white young angst, 50 shot, jay-z a few songs, Snoop nothing but a g than and for his acting.
    They sell ok here but not particularly big when compared to pop or rock.

I am not saying Hip-Hop does not do well here but very few acts do well and most are house hold names but ask random people on the street and they will struggle to name songs, albums or lyrics from most of those listed with a few exceptions.

if you ask random people on the street to name all of madonnas or whitney heustons albums, songs or lryics etc they would struggle but my point is hip hop as a whole is a well established genre in this country and has been very successful while IHH hasnt and that for me indicates that the majority of irish music fans out there just dont like it.

Years ago people completely wrote it off.

People were saying it was terrible and no other rappers would respect it. Then several people collaborated with the likes of c rayz, bleek, slaine, wordsworth and lupe.

It is growing not fading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

First of all let me say how terrible the actual show was. It looks like they picked the most boring spots to tape the scenes. Redzer came across like a hapless loser. Siyo like a mammys boy who raps about his mother. And as for the rest what a joke. Id compare IHH (i cant believe you guys made up an acroynm for it!! lol) to Hardcore gabba music produced by over 60's. Its just not right it dont sound right and it dont work. At least not at this moment in time.

But who knows in the future maybe. I mean the way people put on accents in Dublin and the influx of other accents into the country maybe someday they will morph the irish d4 and the american accent into some bastardised irican accent that might actually sound alright on hip hop wax. But until then in my ears it just sounds wrong.

cmon redzer
    Now im in the limelight cause I wear an aron jumper tight
    Time to get paid
    Blow up like the ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,custom house.
    Born sinner opposite of a winner
    Remember when I used to eat supermacs for dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

I watched this last night. The face on the woman with the pram looking at the young girl rapping said it all for me.

Here you go

2412d6b.jpg

Lol that was probably the funniest bit alright. The aul wan hadn't clue what she was rapping about....I didn't either tbh. Using big words doesn't make you intelligent. Was wondering when she would shut up. The aul wan was dying to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

You clearly do not know what a battle is do you?

If some people had their way no one would rap or only people from the Bronx could rap.

Well if an Irish Hip-Hop Rap Battle involves having to resort to the lowest common denominator that isn't even rapping, just your typical "your ma" slag that 8 year olds can come up with then I'm relieved that I clearly don't know what a battle is!

Even the phrase "Irish Hip-Hop" makes me cringe!

"i do whatever it takes, i love you like a fat kid love cake…" - 50 Cent
    "is that rap? oh my god it is so bad - look steak, make, drake i can rhyme it is so stooooopid. oh my god all rap is crap, haha but c in front of rap what do you get? haha"

This is what happens when people hear and see things out of context. It is now just happening with IHH and not American stuff.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2012/02/21/irish-tvs-take-on-homegrown-hip-hop/

Conor please stop comparing IHH to the American scene , it's pathetic.

Just accept the fact the majority of IHH is cat and move on.

Interesting link. The general consensus seems to be that the show was a missed opportunity to showcase Ireland's real rap talent. No mention of Messiah J or Scary Eire. Instead RTE went for the comedy angle and decided to portray rappers as wasters on the dole who still live with their mother.

A few Irish rappers used to post here. What ever happened to Collie? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytSycEzKZIA
    Saw him at Oxegen back in the day and thought he was alright.

2fm used to do a hip-hop show on Friday nights (called The Big Smoke iirc) to give Irish rappers some airtime. That's gone now. RTE should be helping the home grown rap scene flourish, not knocking it back.

Collie still makes music.

RTÉ showed some IHH at primetime, it wasn't the best but it was something it is other people who are not giving it a fair chance imo.

In fact a few weeks ago there was a better showcase of IHH on RTÉ also I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

DRE IS SH1TTING HIMSELF...

Why is dre ****ting himself? Its not a competition there is enough hip hop to go around,so we can all do it.Your point is akin to saying a kid has no right to play football in the park because he is not as good as Messi :rolleyes:

I wasn't too impressed with last nights show to be honest.I felt most of the artists on it didn't come across too well (that could be as much bad editing as anything else)

I had the pleasure of meeting MC Lunatic a few times and always found him one of the soundest people in Irish hip hop (and thats not me saying it after the fact - RIP) but to say he was the first to come out and rap like he did and that it wasn't really 'real' before him in Dublin rap is a bit disingenuous to many many old timers of the scene.Also to portray his house as the home of Irish hip hop? come on.

The name of the show is reality bites and unfortunately reality does bite,i've been around hip hop in this country for more than 22 years and i could count on half a hand people who have made a living out of it,and all of those weren't exclusively hip hop they all realised the had to branch out,and i can't speak with 100% certainty but that living couldn't have lasted more than 5/10 years for most.

Hip hop in Ireland is very strong but it is a niche scene,something to be treated as a hobby,love or past time nothing more - I admire people like misselayneous temper mental (sp?) (probably one of those who came out best from the show) and her hunger/desire for rapping,i wish her the best but i fear she is going to find out what most of us have eventually that Irish rap does not pay - reality bites and you go get a job - move on with life.

Does that mean you knock your love for hip hop on the head? no of course not,you just put it into context in the grand scheme of things - it's a musical genre.It won't pay your ESB bill,it won't feed your kid or put petrol in your car.

In reply to people with no clue about hip hop trolling this thread for an internet argument i'll leave you with the words of Freddie foxx

"I don’t let nobody judge me that don’t know how to do what I do
    So if you don’t like it then f.... you!"

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭VagnerLove

not a bad program but it made me feel a bit sorry for most of them as there's just no hope for IHH imo, it was made clear from the start of the program when it was referenced that the only IHH that has been successful was humor related, iv been saying that for ages and its not going to change imo.

agree with this, really.

I just watched the show and thought a lot of it was just a bit embarrassing. it's sad for those lads because obviously they're big into it, but Irish hip hop just doesn't feel right. it feels like something Ireland just can't do.

was laughing when the blonde girl was rapping because of the head on the woman beside her. "that was lovely it was". jesus.

also what was that lad on about his mate being a hip hop legend because he died at a similar age to biggie and pac? did I hear that right?

• Advertisement

VagnerLove wrote: »
    did I hear that right?

No, you did not hear that right. You heard some words.

Advertisement