Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Perfect Carbonara

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Made Carbonara according to this thread last night and it was almost perfect. Do not use 'Lazy Garlic' or whatever it's called; the vinegar will not burn off and you will be left with a horribly acidic after taste. Still, the sauce was silky rather than scrambled so I'm calling that a win. Also I used Serrano ham instead of prosciutto, so sue me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

That Lazy Garlic stuff is vile. I threw out my jar after the first attempt at using it.

Faith wrote: »
    That Lazy Garlic stuff is vile. I threw out my jar after the first attempt at using it.

It's grand in stuff like spag bol or chili, where there's enough other flavours to mask the vinegar, but I won't be getting it again. Might pre-mince garlic and freeze it in clove sized lumps from now on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The jar of garlic in olive oil is good, I use it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I have a (home made) jar of minced mixed chillis and a mild vinegar is the perfect thing to preserve them (I've had it about 2 years now and it's still perfect), but (imho) garlic is too delicate to try and preserve in vinegar, even in the short term, but olive oil does the job perfectly.

i've actually been thinking it would be greate to smoke some gralic and then preserve it, but between health related issues and two young kids, it's as much as i can manage these days to just get a cooked dinner on the table!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

The jar of garlic in olive oil is good, I use it a lot.

Any particular brand, and where do you get it? I've been meaning to look out for something like this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

These are two of the best Carbonara vid's I've come across, both worth watching.

The second one is done at restaurant speed, which is interesting . . .

every time I see a TV chef using metal utensils in a non-stick pan (1st vid) a little part of me dies inside. :eek:

we have the mother-in-law around at least once a week to help out and she has every pan in the house ruined, even though i have long since thrown out all our old metal utensils and replaced them with plastic or silicone ones. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Any particular brand, and where do you get it? I've been meaning to look out for something like this!

Dunnes and Supervalu sell it :)

vibe666 wrote: »
    every time I see a TV chef using metal utensils in a non-stick pan (1st vid) a little part of me dies inside. :eek:

Somehow I don't think someone like Antonio Carluccio would be too worried about non stick :)

• Advertisement

EunanMac wrote: »
    Somehow I don't think someone like Antonio Carluccio would be too worried about non stick :)

That's my point, none of them ever are because they aren't theirs, they don't care about the pans they are using as they are never likely to see them again and the pans get treated like shyte as a result. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The chefs are probably being sponsored by the manufacturers to show off their products in these clips.

Oh I don't doubt that, it would just be nice to see something other than steel utensils scraping across a brand new non-stick pan from time to time.

The chefs are probably being sponsored by the manufacturers to show off their products in these clips.

I'd say so, I'd very much doubt the likes of Antonio Carluccio needs non stick pans

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I haven't used a pan with a non-stick coating in years. They are an utter waste of time, IMO. You either don't burn stuff or you learn to wash pots the hard way.

vibe666 wrote: »
    Oh I don't doubt that, it would just be nice to see something other than steel utensils scraping across a brand new non-stick pan from time to time.

Don't you get metal utensil safe non stick these days?

kylith wrote: »
    Don't you get metal utensil safe non stick these days?

Supposedly, but I still can't imagine that they will last that long compared to using softer utensils.
    EunanMac wrote: »
    I'd say so, I'd very much doubt the likes of Antonio Carluccio needs non stick pans

Maybe not at home, but he IS using one with pointy metal utensils in the video you posted, hence my original response.

Tried the carbonara again (using proper garlic) for lunch today and it was fantastic. Delighted I have now pretty much nailed the recipe.

kylith wrote: »
    Tried the carbonara again (using proper garlic) for lunch today and it was fantastic. Delighted I have now pretty much nailed the recipe.

Like all the best recipes, its quick and only requires a few easy to get ingredients.
    I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I do a roast garlic version.

pancetta, whole clove garlic, olive oil, black pepper in a oven proof dish, Pop in the oven at 200 until the pancetta is crisp. Add a handful of frozen peas, pop back in the oven for a minute or so.

Mix a small carton of cream with 2 beaten egg yokes, mix into the pancetta/garlic/peas and pop back in the oven for 5 minutes (maybe less) give a good stir and toss fresh pasta in. finish with parmesan/pecorino.

Make sure to keep a close eye on the eggy mix so you don't end up with scrambled eggs.

Not true carbonara but bloody tasty!!

• Advertisement

I don't know what it is about peas (pettit pois, or good garden peas) but they just seem to go really well with the dish and i'm not even a big fan of peas normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Asked the Italian woman about her recipe for Carbonara because my ratio's are never right in terms of the eggs.

Her recipe is

One yolk per person add one white for every 3 people
    The meat from pigs neck, which I think is Guanciale.
    Pecorino romano (not Parmesan)
    And pepper

Interestingly she doesn;t use garlic at all (she doesn't like garlic anyway but in her view it shouldn't have it anyway).

Personally not going to stop using garlic because I add it to nearly everything and I use bacon because I am cheap.
    So the only advice I can personally add is that using freshly ground pepper makes a bit difference, just grind up some corns in a pestle and smell the difference between pre-ground stuff, its pretty big.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Asked the Italian woman about her recipe for Carbonara because my ratio's are never right in terms of the eggs.

Her recipe is

One yolk per person add one white for every 3 people
    The meat from pigs neck, which I think is Guanciale.
    Pecorino romano (not Parmesan)
    And pepper

Interestingly she doesn;t use garlic at all (she doesn't like garlic anyway but in her view it shouldn't have it anyway).

Personally not going to stop using garlic because I add it to nearly everything and I use bacon because I am cheap.
    So the only advice I can personally add is that using freshly ground pepper makes a bit difference, just grind up some corns in a pestle and smell the difference between pre-ground stuff, its pretty big.

You cant beat fresh ground pepper. Just get yourself one of these and never use the pre-ground stuff again ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQawpB4C3iALux-EKMiD-vxeubH1IoMJwaNMBoJX2ZNRvv13M8gQw

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Overflow wrote: »
    You cant beat fresh ground pepper. Just get yourself one of these and never use the pre-ground stuff again ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQawpB4C3iALux-EKMiD-vxeubH1IoMJwaNMBoJX2ZNRvv13M8gQw

Does anyone with an interest in food use preground black pepper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Does anyone with an interest in food use preground black pepper?

It seems so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Freshly ground black pepper must be one of the nicest things in LIFE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I actually know someone who prefers preground black/white pepper. Said the fresh ones are too harsh on the throat. I just sighed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I actually know someone who prefers preground black/white pepper. Said the fresh ones are too harsh on the throat. I just sighed.

A lot of chefs use white pepper - I don't bother.
    But I've never seen anyone have a special grinder for one. I've never tasted freshly ground white pepper or, now that I think about it, seen whole white pepper for sale.

Point of information for anyone who might not know : White pepper is black pepper with the husk removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

But I've never seen anyone have a special grinder for one. I've never tasted freshly ground white pepper or, now that I think about it, seen whole white pepper for sale.

Point of information for anyone who might not know : White pepper is black pepper with the husk removed.

I have one. :o

Although, the only reason I have one is because I had bought a cheap(ish) electric one in Lidl for black pepper (that wasn't great) but I was then bought a really good Peugeot Pepper Mill as a present. Rather than throw out the old one I just used it for the bag of white peppercorns that I had left over from making some dish.

I actually use ground white pepper a bit for the likes of mash spuds and scrambled eggs, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I actually own a separate grinder for white peppercorns :o
    It tastes completely different and I use it quite a lot. Especially in Chinese cooking, makes a difference cooking duck with black and white pepper. There's a certain earthiness.

Advertisement