Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome newbies! 1st year info thread 2014

• 13-08-2014 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

Congratulations to those who got their Leaving Cert results today. I'm sure a lot of you will be getting CAO offers come Monday so if you need any questions answered or want to meet people who may be starting with you, just post in here!

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hey. I'm hoping to start science in ucd next month.

In that case, the UCD Forum might suit you a little better than the Mary I forum. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Medium

Just wondering about subject choice for an incoming first year. Which have the heaviest + lightest work loads? I got a C1 in HL Maths, so I am wondering how much of a step up is the Maths in the BED degree? And how grueling is the Irish? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13 racheld51

What choice of subjects do first years get exactly? Is it not in second year that you have to choose?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TheUkeLearner

Medium wrote: »
    Just wondering about subject choice for an incoming first year. Which have the heaviest + lightest work loads? I got a C1 in HL Maths, so I am wondering how much of a step up is the Maths in the BED degree? And how grueling is the Irish? Thanks

In terms of Maths as part of the B.Ed degree, it is completely different from LC Maths. It's more about the teaching of Maths.
    In 2nd Year, you have the option to take Maths as an Arts subject. AFAIK, this branches off from LC Maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

In terms of Maths as part of the B.Ed degree, it is completely different from LC Maths. It's more about the teaching of Maths.
    In 2nd Year, you have the option to take Maths as an Arts subject. AFAIK, this branches off from LC Maths.

When I went to do Maths last year we were told that maths in Mary I was for anyone interested. Irish is...hell, from what I've heard, and I've heard a lot. Not happy saying it.

You have a free choice as far as I know except choosing between French and history this year. It was French and geography I think last year and i got caught out. Might have been theology now that I think of it.

• Advertisement

racheld51 wrote: »
    What choice of subjects do first years get exactly? Is it not in second year that you have to choose?

You pick four and then carry on two in second year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 racheld51

Anyone else staying in Courtbrack this year? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Medium

and so,from what you know, its manageable? I presume their is also an introductory period too before we pick the subjects? Cheers for the reply.

Medium wrote: »
    and so,from what you know, its manageable? I presume their is also an introductory period too before we pick the subjects? Cheers for the reply.

Only one week. :/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Irish is...hell, from what I've heard, and I've heard a lot. Not happy saying it.

Irish ain't hell. There's a silly number of lazy students who couldn't be bothered doing the required readings (never mind the supplementary/recommended ones) who panic about 3 weeks before the exams and feel totally lost. If they just listened in lectures and did a bit of reading every week they'd have marks thrown at them. The modules are very straight-forward, especially in first year.

• Advertisement

An File wrote: »
    Irish ain't hell. There's a silly number of lazy students who couldn't be bothered doing the required readings (never mind the supplementary/recommended ones) who panic about 3 weeks before the exams and feel totally lost. If they just listened in lectures and did a bit of reading every week they'd have marks thrown at them. The modules are very straight-forward, especially in first year.

I'm sure there are but I wasn't just talking about the content of the modules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I got A's in Irish in first year (xmas and summer) and I went to a combined 3 lectures all year out of something like 48 over the two semesters. Irish is grand if you have a knack for it and do some hard work towards exam time. But if you're weak at irish the lecturers will raise your level of competency in it incredibly...but I only know this from word of mouth and not first hand experience :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Budgeting is easy! Buy lidl and Tesco brand drink always and for God's sake leave the bank card at home when on nights out.

:o

Advertisement