Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cancelling SKY subscription

• 11-08-2004 8:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Johar

I'm able to get my hands on a FTV card and was wondering if I cancel my sky subscription which I've had for nearly 2 years now, Will sky come and take back my dish, decoder and handset. Or did they become my proeperty after my initial 12 month contract had passed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

After 12 months there legally yours :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Johar

Nice one thanks. I thought so as a while back after some really strong winds and rain I had problem with the the reception. I rang sky and they told me that because I'd had my subscription for over 12 months I'd have to pay a callout charge if I wanted an engineer to check out the dish alignment. C**TS!

• They might not let you go that easily.
    No matter how much you want to leave they will insist that you talk to a "programme advisor"

Could you post back with your story on how the phone call went and the hassle you had...
    Also be carefull and insist that you get a note or a letter to state that your sub is ending and also send them a registered letter requesting the ending of your subscription and of your direct debit.
    I know of too many people already who think they have followed what should be normal procedures for ending Sky only to be getting registered letters and bills from a company called "Legal and Trade" who threaten the customer with registering a debt that sky claim is owed to them because they deny that you cancelled your service.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I cancelled my service by saying I had bought a new house that had Cable included and I would be subscribing to SKY through the Cable Provider, they didn't ask any questions just thanked me for my custom and continued support.

• yes thats the best way to get the "programme advisors" off your back...
    Say something like you are going out of the country for a year or summat...they won't send mi6 after you :D
    Best to avoid the prog adviser , its a layer of nonsense that they try to put you through.

It is also best at least to get the name of the operator you have dealt with, as I have came across a number of cases with " legal and trade " issues.
    Take no nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blazesoftware

If you do talk to a program advisor do they try to keep you by offer a discount. I've heard b4 that if you try to cancel they try to get you back by offering discounts ? Anyone shed any light.

• They might, chance your arm and report back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

I had no luck with these programme advisors. they asked why I was cancelling told em no utv c4 etc. she said she would put it on the card. I told her it was impossile. .10 minutes later after she checkint with a techie she agreed and cancelled My sub.. I said I would wait a week or two. Called back again and same thing was offered no freebie channels they just cancelled MY subs. that was about 5 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

i told them i was moving to Australia when i cancelled my sub
    i shall be "returning from Oz" soon with a view to getting a sky+ setup and i still have my old box too..

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

I cancelled my Sky Family Pack Subscription 2 months ago. I was paying about €28 a month. When I rang up I was transferred to a lady who tried very hard to hang onto my money. My excuse was that it was costing too much and I couldn't afford it anymore. I always thought that my €28 a month was the cheapest package on offer from Sky but the lady informed me that they have a cheaper package and offered it to me for about €20 per month. I recall her saying that it included the UK TV channels but can't remember what other channels were also included. I think this might be the "Value Pack". I said I wasn't really interested so she then offered me a discount of I think €6 on my current package for a few months. Again I said no.

It might be worth ringing them up with a sad story and you might at least get a discount for a few months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement