Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TV3 Toy Show, inappropriatally sexual for a kids show?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

On repeat now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

anncoates wrote: »
    No sh1t.

:) I should hope so, :) would be very uncomfortable otherwise :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

deise08 wrote: »

The art of douching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

on the topic of dolls

barbie-vs-he-man.jpg
    DoYouEverStopObsessing? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

If you're kids have any questions about 'gay', just explain it to them. It's really no big deal.

Even a 5 year old 'gets' it.

http://youtu.be/-ybAlFrV8f4

Even if they get a little confused sometimes....
    http://youtu.be/wvUdUUWOF10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

batnolan wrote: »
    Look at all the sexual innuendo that goes on in cartoon shows.

Animaniacs being the prime example!
    deise08 wrote: »

I would think it would be more uncomfortable for there to be none, to be honest :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

newmug wrote: »
    I'll give your intelligence the benefit of the doubt here, seeing as you continuously state that you didn't see the show. It was a GAY man, telling the story of how his favourite CHILDHOOD toy was Action Man. Grand. But then he went on to say how he used to undress him (why would you do that, if not for some sort of twisted sexual thrill), and also cross dress him, into female clothes. This guy was layering it on thick, it was obvious that he had a sexual motive for doing these things. It was all so skin-crawlingly obvious that he loved saying this.

I don't know why he brought it up (and by the sounds of it maybe he shouldn't have) but kids at that era weren't aware of sexuality like they are now -- and most psychologists agree that kids express their curiosity in an innocent way at this stage - like straight kids showing each other their genetalia (they're too young to have 'twisted' sexual desires!!). This was a curious kid expressing something innate that he wasn't aware off - mostly gender 'bending' since he played with it like a girls toy.

And what boy didn't undress his sisters barbies??? I did. But I was too young to have 'twisted' sexual desires at that age.
    And as for "Cross dressing is dressing in clothes designed for members of the other sex. It doesn't mean it has any sexual connections.", come off it, will ya? Of course it has a sexual motive. Why don't people go around dressing up as walrus's then?

Since gay guys are not attracted to women they why would they be aroused by female clothing?!? Cross Dressing has to do with identity not sexuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Does anyone have a link to the offending material?

I saw a little bit of the show on TV, but it looked like a cringeworthy rip-off of the Toy Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

nm wrote: »
    Some of the replies here are funny, it's like the guy gets a free pass for sleazy sexual innuendo on a kids show because he's gay

Spot on. It reminds me of the Norris presidential campaign. " He wrote a letter on behalf of a rapist! Despicable! Oh wait, he's gay. That's ok then."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,996 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

keano_afc wrote: »
    Spot on. It reminds me of the Norris presidential campaign. " He wrote a letter on behalf of a rapist! Despicable! Oh wait, he's gay. That's ok then."

There is nothing sleazy about what Brian Dowling said, nor sexual.

• Advertisement

There is nothing sleazy about what Brian Dowling said, nor sexual.
    Did he say he liked to undress action men, using humour of a sexual tone?

Because yeah, that seems inappropriate for a kids TV show.

Imaginbe I told your daughter "oh yeah, I remember Barbie, as a hormonal kid, I liked to undress her". How acceptable would you find that? This is not cringey barstool nostalgia. It's a kids' tv show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

What sexual gratification would a gay man get by put a skirt on an Action Man?

Unless he went commando.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Christmas tip: looking for a gift for a trans-curious kid with militaristic/nationalist homophobic parents that you don't want to offend? This fine Action Man makes a good compromise that will satisfy everyone.

http://www.actionmanhq.co.uk/pages/soldierpages/argyll.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'll give your intelligence the benefit of the doubt here, seeing as you continuously state that you didn't see the show. It was a GAY man, telling the story of how his favourite CHILDHOOD toy was Action Man. Grand. But then he went on to say how he used to undress him (why would you do that, if not for some sort of twisted sexual thrill), and also cross dress him, into female clothes. This guy was layering it on thick, it was obvious that he had a sexual motive for doing these things. It was all so skin-crawlingly obvious that he loved saying this.

And as for "Cross dressing is dressing in clothes designed for members of the other sex. It doesn't mean it has any sexual connections.", come off it, will ya? Of course it has a sexual motive. Why don't people go around dressing up as walrus's then?

I'm not going to read the whole thread but I would often undress my Action Man to … you know … put other clothes on him. The only difference here is that he put women's clothes on the action and again I fail to see the problem. Maybe Action Man needed to go undercover.

Now I haven't seen the clip either and you may be right that there may be outrage if a man was saying he used to take off Barbie clothes but I think that's where the problem is. A boy takes a barbies' clothes off, he must be a rapist? Nah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Jaysus, I don't think anyone is calling him a rapist!

Has anyone got the clip or a link to it?

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Jaysus, I don't think anyone is calling him a rapist!

Has anyone got the clip or a link to it?

No but the OP suggested that if it was a straight man there would be a stronger reaction, presumably because he'd be accused of being sex crazed or something.
    If that was a straight man saying his favourite doll was his sisters Barbie, and that he used to undress her for pervy reasons, there would have been uproar.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    No but the OP suggested that if it was a straight man there would be a stronger reaction, presumably because he'd be accused of being sex crazed or something.

Which is in fact worthy of debate.

Which is in fact worthy of debate.

Well as I was saying I might have more of a problem with a strong reaction to that scenario as I feel it would be completely unnecessary. No matter what the gender, kids are going to undress and dress dolls. Claiming that they're perverted for doing so is ridiculous.

With regard to a link, the show seems to be on the TV3 player but my internet is terrible and it's over an hour long.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I think the Brian Dowling snippet would have gone over the kids' heads.

What I thought was inappropriate was the segment where there was a bunch of kids demonstrating those Nerf-type guns and Brian McFadden was encouraging the kids to point and shoot into the audience! SOMEONE COULD HAVE LOST AN EYE!!!

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Well as I was saying I might have more of a problem with a strong reaction to that scenario as I feel it would be completely unnecessary. No matter what the gender, kids are going to undress and dress dolls. Claiming that they're perverted for doing so is ridiculous.

With regard to a link, the show seems to be on the TV3 player but my internet is terrible and it's over an hour long.

Haven't seen it myself, because the ads they force you to watch are far more offensive than anything that could possibly follow and I gave up.

• Advertisement

conorh91 wrote: »
    Did he say he liked to undress action men, using humour of a sexual tone?

Because yeah, that seems inappropriate for a kids TV show.

Imaginbe I told your daughter "oh yeah, I remember Barbie, as a hormonal kid, I liked to undress her". How acceptable would you find that? This is not cringey barstool nostalgia. It's a kids' tv show.

You need to lighten up.

You need to lighten up.
    You need to learn how to advance an argument around adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Noobascious

To be fair ur all a pack of pervs weather it's books or visual same for kids just a pack of pervs. Amen to that ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

TV3 and Brian Dowling is fairly low rent anyway. Doubt many kids saw it. Don't think it was offensive. Brenda O'Brein could write an article about it

conorh91 wrote: »
    You need to learn how to advance an argument around adults.

Read my previous posts! I can't repeat myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Slot Machine

newmug's posting history cannot be stressed enough. Calling the OP homophobic, taking that post in isolation? Going too far.

Keeping newmug's opinions on homosexuality in mind while doing so? Perfectly reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,790 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Honestly I think going on and on and on and on about homophobia in this discussion is very ott and very off topic.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,790 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'm surprised Channel 4 / 3E or the likes havent' done and 'after dark' Toy Show for adults... if you get my drift.
    Lots of battery operated toys and 'costumes' etc.
    Might get a huge rating and have 'tie ins' with 50 shades of grey movie.
    :D

Advertisement