Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC on FOX: Dos Santos v Miocic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Anyone hear Diaz's walkout song?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Anyone hear Diaz's walkout song?

War - Why can't we be friends....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

darced wrote: »

To be honest Im not that surprised. With missing the workout it was clear he still doesnt give a ****. His excuse was he thought it was optional and slept in, then he missed weight for the fight. Im expecting him to move elsewhere after all the moaning he did about the Reebok deal and is just hoping for Dana to drop him and with that performance tonight hes not exactly going to be getting another fight anytime soon.

• Advertisement

Not finished yet, won that round, great fight so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

There is no top level at heavyweight. There is Cain and then everyone else

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

JDS showed thats not true before but the beatings he took off Cain after that really took their toll on him. I think they really affected him and I remember reading how he didnt even remember half the fight and the interview with Joe afterwards. He really took a beating and hes been a shadow of himself since then unfortunately. At this stage Cain is just so dominant its hard to see him losing anytime soon when JDS is fighting like this.

• Advertisement

Very very close last round, Dunno how that will be scored, I'm going 48-47 Miocic.

48-47 to JDS for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

JDS deserved that even though he took more damage but he controled most of the fight. Can't really put up much for an arguement for Miocic. Nate's leg must be sore after that fight lol

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

Happy for JDS even if Stipe runs him close for nicest guy in the UFC. Overeem fight has to be made next

I think my thoughts on JDS are like that of Joe Rogans podcast with Schaub last week. JDS is a great fighter, his boxing is fantastic and hes a likeable guy but I think he really got hurt by Cain and to the point where it caused a lot of damage. I dont think he will ever beat Cain again and the beatings he takes in every fight just leave him more damaged and I think the cost of trying to get that fight with Cain and beat him will be huge to his health in the long run which is something I never like to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Axwell wrote: »
    I think my thoughts on JDS are like that of Joe Rogans podcast with Schaub last week. JDS is a great fighter, his boxing is fantastic and hes a likeable guy but I think he really got hurt by Cain and to the point where it caused a lot of damage. I dont think he will ever beat Cain again and the beatings he takes in every fight just leave him more damaged and I think the cost of trying to get that fight with Cain and beat him will be huge to his health in the long run which is something I never like to see.

I agree with this post and the one on the last page 100%, i havnt watched tonights event because i was out but during the last Cain fight i felt so bad for him, his corner 100% should have threw in the towel, he got mauled for 25 minutes and heavyweight fights that go the distance just arent good for the brain. You said it rightly he took a tremendous beating and by the sounds of things looked a shadow of his former self tonight. At the end of the day though Cain is a freak, wont be beaten `for a LONG time imo. Would love to see Jones go to HW and get schooled by him, hes a scary athlete. Seems to get overlooked on the P4P rankings.

In other news was the event worth watching??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

ASOT wrote: »
    I agree with this post and the one on the last page 100%, i havnt watched tonights event because i was out but during the last Cain fight i felt so bad for him, his corner 100% should have threw in the towel, he got mauled for 25 minutes and heavyweight fights that go the distance just arent good for the brain. You said it rightly he took a tremendous beating and by the sounds of things looked a shadow of his former self tonight. At the end of the day though Cain is a freak, wont be beaten `for a LONG time imo. Would love to see Jones go to HW and get schooled by him, hes a scary athlete. Seems to get overlooked on the P4P rankings.

In other news was the event worth watching??

Yeah I think the main card was good, didn't watch pre lims.

I agree about JDS not looking as good as he once was but I'm not sure if I would put it down to Cain's beating. To me, it looked like JDS just didn't give Miocic's standup any respect, ne never threw a single kick, had 1 takedown which came out of the blue but the whole fight he looked like he wanted to box. Miocic was golden gloves champ and JDS has been vocal about what he thinks of his boxing so I think he wanted to go and show his boxing skills.

Miocic did catch him with a lot of shots but JDS was drpping his hands, trying big swinging head movements to avoid shots and got caught. He never really looked in much danger at any point although he did look very tired from the 2nd round on.

It was a close fight, a good fight. Going into the last round it could have been 2-2 or 3-1 to either, I dont think too many would have argued with these scores

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

War - Why can't we be friends....

Haha, and considering how the fight went its a good nod to the Simpsons too

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Axwell wrote: »
    JDS showed thats not true before ...
    JDS was never really best in world imo. He won the belt with a lucky punch imo. I said this at the time, and I said it for his entire reign as champ.
    Cain was a ridiculous underdog for the rematch because JDS was over rated as champ imo.

I'm not convinced by the idea that he's not the same since the Cain mauling either. I don't see it tbh.
    I think Miocic is simply a better opponent that the previous guys he had dominated. Like Mir, Carwin, Gonzaga.
    JDS looked great against Hunt, which was after losing to Cain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭threeball

JDS really has to look at his movement when his opponent is throwing strikes. He consistently moves in a bouncing movement in a line that roughly follows the arc of the punch which inevitably ends up with him getting caught by pretty much every strike to one degree or another. He never moves back out of range or moves back across the strike which would allow him to counter and the movement he makes is so predictable his opponents have it nailed in 2 mins. Miocic caught him so many times because of this as did Cain. If he can't break this habit he's going to have a very short and painful career.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

JDS just needs to move to a camp that will actually help change his game plan.
    I don't think he'll move though.. Which is unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,291 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Had it 48-47 for Miocic although wouldn't have argued with 48-47 Junior. The two 49-46 Junior cards were a joke though.

Junior looked bigger than I remember him. Also slower though.

Had it 48-47 for Miocic although wouldn't have argued with 48-47 Junior. The two 49-46 Junior cards were a joke though.

Yeah, I don't necessarily have an issue with Junior winning he took rds 3 and 5 clearly. Round 4 was a coin flip. But he never won 4 rds here.
    Bad judging pisses me off regardless of the winner,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

UFC judging is still approx 85% better than boxing judging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I had junior winning four rounds too.

Easy Rod wrote: »
    I had junior winning four rounds too.

Which 4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 kinggo99

threeball wrote: »
    JDS really has to look at his movement when his opponent is throwing strikes. He consistently moves in a bouncing movement in a line that roughly follows the arc of the punch which inevitably ends up with him getting caught by pretty much every strike to one degree or another. He never moves back out of range or moves back across the strike which would allow him to counter and the movement he makes is so predictable his opponents have it nailed in 2 mins. Miocic caught him so many times because of this as did Cain. If he can't break this habit he's going to have a very short and painful career.

His style has won him all his fights bar versus Cain,Miocic was a bad match up imo,being a golden gloves champion.

But to say one of the best pound for pound fighters in the UFC over the last 5,6 years is going to have a very short career if he doesn't follow your advice is a bit daft to put it mildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

It came down to the last round for me. Unfortunately for Miocic he had nothing left and JDS got the decisions.

The fight did not surprise me, IMO Miocic is the best of the rest in the HW division.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I thought Miotic won 1 and 2, JDS took 3,4,5 with a possible 10-8 going tp JDS in the 3rd for the knockdown.
    M DS
    10-9
    10-9
    8-10
    9-10
    9-10

46-48

Advertisement