Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low electricity users hit with extra charge

• 27-02-2012 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

Wtf? All to line the pockets of an overpaid ESB. Guess the mild winter has hit ESB profits hard, they had to find out a way to punish users who do try to cut their bills :mad:
    Electric Ireland has set another charge on more than 100,000 householders because they are not using a lot of electricity.

A new 'low user standing charge' came into effect on February 1 targeting customers who use an average of two units or less per day.

According to the Irish Times, their bills will increase by 15.5 cent per day - that is €9.45 in a two-monthly bill.

Householders have been told about the increase in bill inserts in the past fortnight.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/low-electricity-users-hit-with-extra-charge-541340.html#ixzz1nZZw69IN

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

More details here: http://www.thejournal.ie/energy-customers-face-minimum-charge-for-not-using-enough-electricity-366894-Feb2012/

Its a bit much by them.
    They try and give good reason for it but frankly as the saying goes "It leaves a bad taste in the mouth".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

it will be mostly 2nd homes or holiday homes effected, it's almost impossible to live on less than 2 units a day in a property

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

When is this sh1t going to end...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Just fit a timer that will switch something on for a few minutes a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Only in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

switch electricity provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Exactly, No point complaining and then doing nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭pcardin

Rip-off Ireland :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Exactly. If a phone company or any other service provider put up their charges would their be a thread about it?
    Change provider and stop moaning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

it will be mostly 2nd homes or holiday homes effected, it's almost impossible to live on less than 2 units a day in a property

Yeah but there are no sensationalist headlines if that point is emphasised

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

It's really the mad house, isn't it?

Lower your carbon footprint by using less electricity and we'll charge you more anyway.

Don't use a toll road and we'll pay the company to mind and empty road.

I'm sure there are more.

It reminds me of Ryanair and their debit cards!
    Use it enough and supposedly you don't get charged for possession of it - don't use it as much and you do get charged.
    My point is that sadly if Ryanair can do this type of thing - the prospect of ESB being stopped from doing something somewhat similar, will be low.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,952 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think the ESB solved the problem for me by connecting my meter to ten houses and a factory, so I'll never be charged over the odds for using too little.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think the ESB solved the problem for me by connecting my meter to ten houses and a factory, so I'll never be charged over the odds for using too little.

You too! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,952 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Biggins wrote: »
    You too! :(

Yeh:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bord Gais Energy will no doubt follow once any low users who are pissed off move over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Looks like the mandarins in the ESB have appointed themselves as revenue commissioners now. Those €3000 "getting married" bonuses aren't going to pay themselves you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Just fit a timer that will switch something on for a few minutes a day.

The point is you shouldn't fcuking have to!

Ridiculous. Sooner I'm out of here the better! :mad:

Bad Panda wrote: »
    The point is you shouldn't fcuking have to!

True!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Lol you really could'nt make this stuff up. What a banana republic. That said we deserve it for having fck all backbone as a people.

• Advertisement

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Lol you really could'nt make this stuff up. What a banana republic. That said we deserve it for having fck all backbone as a people.

Some are afraid to show they have a backbone - they fear our government might next, tax that too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

2 units per day is possible if you use gas to cook and wood stove to heat the house (or other heating system that doesnt require a pump or a boiler that uses electricity).

In the summer somedays there is definitely no reason why id use more than 2 units

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

Piss poor decision by ESB/Electric Ireland. It's as if they're trying to push customers away so that they keep below the 60% market share (go above that and they'll be regulated again).

At the very least the threshold should be lower - 122kWhs per billing period could be clocked up by somebody very energy efficient.

If you're caught out by the charge, switch supplier. Really hope this doesn't open the gate for the other suppliers to follow suit and introduce a low user charge of their own.

Wouldn't be surprised though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭facemelter

In fairness to the ESB fuel is getting more and more expensive , and they comsume massive amouts compared to every day use , they've already slashed their workers pensions and pay. its not like your getting the worse deal out of everyone effect by them try to save money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Its a scandalous decision by a scandalous company..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

charlemont wrote: »
    Its a scandalous decision by a scandalous company..

And the same company now employs a foreign thug company to sort out its customer debts.

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/esb-uses-uk-debt-collectors-as-130000-in-arrears-on-bills-3029085.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

it will be mostly 2nd homes or holiday homes effected
    Even if true, why is this relevant?
    2nd home / holiday home owners should be taxed accordingly by government.
    They're already paying the standing charge for a service they rarely use, I see no possible justification for billing them extra for not using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

gbee wrote: »
    It's really the mad house, isn't it?

Lower your carbon footprint by using less electricity and we'll charge you more anyway.

Don't use a toll road and we'll pay the company to mind and empty road.

I'm sure there are more.
    Its for the people who use less thqn 2units a day
    eth0 wrote: »
    2 units per day is possible if you use gas to cook and wood stove to heat the house (or other heating system that doesnt require a pump or a boiler that uses electricity).

In the summer somedays there is definitely no reason why id use more than 2 units
    Are actually for real? So the pc/laptop you have plugged in while on boards wont use any electricity, nor the charger for your phone, Im assuming you dont shower or wash your clothes,like, ever:rolleyes:
    Why do people always assume its just the heating/cooking/lighting that uses leccy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The issue is that these fúckers provide the electricity to the other suppliers so they'll never go out of business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

facemelter wrote: »
    In fairness to the ESB fuel is getting more and more expensive , and they comsume massive amouts compared to every day use , they've already slashed their workers pensions and pay. its not like your getting the worse deal out of everyone effect by them try to save money

So what they do about it is encourage people to use more electricity so they have to burn more fuel?

Priori wrote: »
    Piss poor decision by ESB/Electric Ireland. It's as if they're trying to push customers away so that they keep below the 60% market share (go above that and they'll be regulated again).

At the very least the threshold should be lower - 122kWhs per billing period could be clocked up by somebody very energy efficient.

If you're caught out by the charge, switch supplier. Really hope this doesn't open the gate for the other suppliers to follow suit and introduce a low user charge of their own.

Wouldn't be surprised though.

I'd say all the other companies are writing their low usage charge now. They probably see low usage customers as unprofitable and prefer some other company looks after them.

Advertisement