Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

GSP appears in the latest "This Is Sportscenter" ad for ESPN. I found it pretty funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,010 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sweet.

The UFC set to officially announce the UFC 127 in sydney this tuesday.
    THe venue, Star City, just 10 minutes from my work. Dana, BJ Penn, Fitch, George Sots, plus a few other aussie/kiwis in attendance.

http://au.ufc.com/news/australia-signings-120510

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Mellor wrote: »
    Sweet.

The UFC set to officially announce the UFC 127 in sydney this tuesday.
    THe venue, Star City, just 10 minutes from my work. Dana, BJ Penn, Fitch, George Sots, plus a few other aussie/kiwis in attendance.

http://au.ufc.com/news/australia-signings-120510

Go down and ask Dana where the fcuk our event is :D

LOL, was thinkingabout that earlier,
    I'm gonna ask him if i get a chance, face

hopefully i'll get a few photo ops down there

LOL, was thinkingabout that earlier,
    I'm gonna ask him if i get a chance, face

hopefully i'll get a few photo ops down there

I get an event programme, and get the fighters to sign the front, looks awesome in a frame.

Sure ya could get a small event poster wit BJ, Fitch and Sots on it

• Advertisement

MONTREAL – A UFC 128 event planned for March may not take place in Abu Dhabi, after all.

UFC president Dana White today said the March 12 event may not take place in the United Arab Emirates city, which hosted UFC 112 in 2009, as originally planned.

White, though, confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the organization plans to host a May show, expected to be UFC Fight Night 25, as part of its debut in Scotland.

Although White didn't confirm details, a source told MMAjunkie.com the event is expected to take place at the 4,000-seat Braehead Arena in the city of Renfrewshire. The U.K. country never has hosted a UFC event.

Although tentatively expected to be a UFC Fight Night event, officials ultimately could give the non-pay-per-view international shows a new event-series designation. The UFC Fight Night series, which launched in 2005 following the first season of "The Ultimate Fighter," airs on Spike TV from domestic venues.

Like the UFC on Versus series, which began in 2009, the international non-PPV shows may get their own name, though. After all, White and other officials recently have promised to host non-PPV events in countries around the globe. May's event in Scotland could kick off the series.

UFC 128, meanwhile, tentatively is expected to feature bouts of light-heavyweight champ Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs. Rashad Evans and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Tito Ortiz. However, even with the initial reports of the show, officials cautioned that the show might not take place in Abu Dhabi.

"We're still working on it," White said. "It just depends on our schedule and what we do. The guys in Abu Dhabi want a fight, so we'll see what happens.

"(But) you can't go there in the summer."

The UFC's first Abu Dhabi show took place outdoors at Concert Arena at the Ferrari World theme park on Yas Island. However, the temporary venue no longer exists, and officials haven't nailed down a replacement site.

For the latest on UFC 128 and UFC Fight Night 25, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

If the last few UK cards have been ****e, can't imagine what a Fight Night will be like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

scudzilla wrote: »
    If the last few UK cards have been ****e, can't imagine what a Fight Night will be like

Headlined by Ross Pearson and Andre Winner. With James Wilkes, Nick Ozshipchek. Basically season 9 of TUF with a few UK up-and-comers on the undercard.

Poop really.

Would rather see a card like Marquart/Okami being held in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

Norifiumi "Kid" Yamamoto has officially signed with UFC, could be interesting if he can regain his best form.

Anybody have a fight club pas for pre-sale that they don't need? (ufc 127)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Anybody have a fight club pas for pre-sale that they don't need? (ufc 127)

No, sorry. Didn't renew my membership which expired on Friday.

Friday, dammit,
    anybody else have one?

Friday, dammit,
    anybody else have one?

Have you subscribed for the newsletter for that code. Its free and you get the tickets before they hit general sale.

Thought you had to pay the $75 for the fight club membership?

Fight club get first call on tickets,
    Newsletter get second call,
    General public get third call

Forgot about newsletter, signed up now, but it might be sent already.
    If somebody already go it could they pass it on, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,147 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Start of a massacre perhaps?

Chris Hordecki and Jamie Varner both released from Zuffa, this is after Chris Audinwood
    and Dustin Hazelett were both sacked too (although i'm not surprised by the last 2 in fairness)

Although he hasn't won in 4 fights, im surprisecd by Varner getting released. He's a tough guy and a former WEC Champ. I'm also surprised by Hordecki, thought he might've been shifted down to 145. He's 2-2 in WEC and is definitely a prospect.

I hope they don't start cutting tough guys all over the place now because they have extra divisions to fill the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Varner and Horodecki.
    I dont like those releases at all

Not only worrying because of the extra division, the frequency of events should surely mean they need more fighters, only 3 years ago we were on 1 event every 4/5 weeks, now it seems like there's something going on every other week.

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    Not only worrying because of the extra division, the frequency of events should surely mean they need more fighters, only 3 years ago we were on 1 event every 4/5 weeks, now it seems like there's something going on every other week.

This is true, but i think with LW division was always gonna be the bogey one. The other classes are ready made, but with the LW division there's basically 2 different rosters merging. I'd expect a few more cuts from LW in the near future!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Any lightweight fighter who loses without showing much is in big danger of being cut at the moment. There has been mention of Fitch being cut if he loses to BJ too

Fozzy wrote: »
    Any lightweight fighter who loses without showing much is in big danger of being cut at the moment. There has been mention of Fitch being cut if he loses to BJ too

Never!! Not in a million years! if this ha[[ens I really think UFC will lose a lot if not all credability as far as competition is concerned.

How could you honestly cut Jon Fitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Never!! Not in a million years! if this ha[[ens I really think UFC will lose a lot if not all credability as far as competition is concerned.

How could you honestly cut Jon Fitch?

As put by Dave Meltzer:
    UFC's goal is to put on events that make people want to keep coming back for more.

Anyone who consistently doesn't contribute to this goal is lucky to be in UFC.

Anyone who consistently hurts this goal has no business being in UFC.

I'd still be surprised to see Fitch cut, but the UFC is a business first and foremost and Fitch hasn't done much to help their business. But going by recent interviews with Fitch it appears that he understands now that there's more to his job than just winning

Indeed, but let's just say tomorrow GSP decided to move up to MW and fight Silva. That leaves Fitch the undoubted number 1 in the division. They coulsn't in good conscience cut him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Indeed, but let's just say tomorrow GSP decided to move up to MW and fight Silva. That leaves Fitch the undoubted number 1 in the division. They coulsn't in good conscience cut him!

Think Fitch is a serious challenge for Bj, hes a tall strong welterweight still in his prime, tough one to call, but think im picking fitch in this one

The most exciting news regarding WEC's merger with UFC.................

Brittney Palmer confirmed as UFC 125 Ring girl

brittney-palmer-88207.jpg

Oh Mother of Mary!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

Didn't know where else to post this as it's not really thread worthy, maybe this should be renamed general MMA news? Anyway...

Strikeforce Best of 2010, via online poll...

By way of an online poll...

BEST KNOCKOUT:
    Paul Daley KOs Scott Smith
    2:09 of Round 1
    December 4, 2010 at Strikeforce: Henderson vs. Babalu

BEST SUBMISSION:
    Fabricio Werdum submits Fedor Emelianenko
    1:09 of Round 1
    June 26, 2010 at Strikeforce & M-1 Global: Fedor vs. Werdum

RISING STAR:
    Tyron Woodley

BEST UPSET:
    Fabricio Werdum submits Fedor Emelianenko
    1:09 of Round 1
    June 26, 2010 at Strikeforce & M-1 Global: Fedor vs. Werdum

BEST FEMALE FIGHTER:
    Cris "Cyborg" Santos

BEST MALE FIGHTER:
    Nick Diaz

BEST FIGHT 2010:
    Nick Diaz vs. KJ Noons
    October 9, 2010 at Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Noons II

Best Submission for Werdum? A standard Triangle choke? I understand the sentiment but.............

Anyway, Daley v Smith, what a KO!

• Advertisement

Press Conference for 125 is about to start here

http://modulesorigin.ufc.com/live/?systemId=595e115b-bf6c-4485-b549-3d0356c653c3&playerContextId=d82d2f4b-19f7-45ec-9b76-f322d3d3adef

Apparently Dana will also be making another one of his 'Special' announcements :rolleyes::rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement