Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quad/atv recommendations

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Sisu200

Are Honda really that bad, I realise their is alot of plastic on them compared to their predecessor, has anyone had any mechanical problems?

I had a Kawasaki KLF 300 in 2003(what an absolute pile of junk)

I bought a new TRX250 in 2004, mighty little bike, could not fault it at all

I bought a 500 in 2005 as I got a spreader and could not work it with the 250. I think it's a great bike, have had no issues at all apart from the dog ate the seat of it while I was at work one day, is this classed a major flaw:), I just bought a new seat and shot the dog;) (please note I am been sarcastic about shooting the dog)

But in all honesty I agree the Honda have too much plastic and so on but have bullet proof mechnics, easy to service, try and get the hands on the 450 standard shift great bike,

and on the point of what are quads used for, well this is the type of weather you would be glad to have a quad, cattle get used to them and as part-time farmers it is easier to mangage the herd on a bike than getting our wellys stuck in very wet bad land

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Sisu200 wrote: »
    Are Honda really that bad, I realise their is alot of plastic on them compared to their predecessor, has anyone had any mechanical problems?

I had a Kawasaki KLF 300 in 2003(what an absolute pile of junk)

I bought a new TRX250 in 2004, mighty little bike, could not fault it at all

I bought a 500 in 2005 as I got a spreader and could not work it with the 250. I think it's a great bike, have had no issues at all apart from the dog ate the seat of it while I was at work one day, is this classed a major flaw:), I just bought a new seat and shot the dog;)

But in all honesty I agree the Honda have too much plastic and so on but have bullet proof mechnics, easy to service, try and get the hands on the 450 standard shift great bike,

and on the point of what are quads used for, well this is the type of weather you would be glad to have a quad, cattle get used to them and as part-time farmers it is easier to mangage the herd on a bike than getting our wellys stuck in very wet bad land

honda are a great bike , the point is they are not any better than a yamaha and perhaps a suzuki but are much more expensive 2nd hand , as for the plastics , the honda are the best when it comes to the plastics , more robust , the plastics on the suzuki are like paper

ps , you shot a dog for eating a seat :eek:

irish_bob wrote: »
    honda are a great bike , the point is they are not any better than a yamaha and perhaps a suzuki but are much more expensive 2nd hand , as for the plastics , the honda are the best when it comes to the plastics , more robust , the plastics on the suzuki are like paper

ps , you shot a dog for eating a seat :eek:

I was never on a Suzuki, only the 2 wheel type,, Honda are way overpriced second hand, I wish they did not put so much plastic into them:rolleyes:, but the one gripe I have with all quads is the way they retain dirt around the suspension joints, I mean little corners start rusting where moisture starts accumalating, I bought the Kawasaki privately, it was a clean bike, or so I thought, when I got it home and had a good look at it, the suspension joints onto the chassis were painted over, they had rusted through, just something to be wary off,

PS please note the ;););););) in my previous reply, as much as I should have shot the dog, I didnt, he got a boot up the hole, he has since ate the bottom out of serveral doors and tore bales of silage, me and the dog don't get on:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

in general you have to say honda make great stuff, their lawnmowers last forever compared to alot of ****e on the market

That is true, the honda engine, in an ATV or mixer, genertor etc, is great stuff, but I dont know if anyone here has or had an MF 700 quad, diesel, they have a 3 cylinder Yanmar engine in them, I think they are built on a polaris chassis??, they are supposed to be a strong basic bike, are a bit on the heavy side though

• Advertisement

in general you have to say honda make great stuff, their lawnmowers last forever compared to alot of ****e on the market

hate to bust your bubble but honda lawnmoweres are castlegarden with a honda badge and red colour , so too are john deere and massey , all have briggs and stratton engines which are fine but castlegarden are a cheaper type of lawnmower , wouldnt be a huge fan myself , snapper or simplicity , now those are good mowers

Sisu200 wrote: »
    That is true, the honda engine, in an ATV or mixer, genertor etc, is great stuff, but I dont know if anyone here has or had an MF 700 quad, diesel, they have a 3 cylinder Yanmar engine in them, I think they are built on a polaris chassis??, they are supposed to be a strong basic bike, are a bit on the heavy side though

they dont make them anymore and you could count on one hand the number which were sold in this country

they dont make them anymore and you could count on one hand the number which were sold in this country

They were fairly pushing them at the ploughing last year, wouldnt be a fan of the auto box on these types of big quad, same as Honda TRX 400, hydrostatic I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Hello all,

So - as a lot of people here, I am debating getting a quad.

Reasons are reduce time spent checking on things, and I guess there is a bit of laziness in there as well... :rolleyes:

Now, I know absolutely nothing about them... so I would appreciate any help or advice you could offer.

I wouldn't plan on doing any majorly heavy work with it, mainly for herding, spraying, pulling a small trailer...
    Our land wouldn't be very wet, but it would be fairly high.

I have heard that a 250cc 2WD quad would be fine for most jobs, its when you get into pulling very heavy loads, such as a fertiliser spinner or heavy trailer that you need 4WD. Is this fair to say?

OR would I better off just going with a 300cc 4WD and be done with it...?

Finally - this crowd seem to have a lot of Quads - http://www.hourigansmotorcycles.com/Quads_%28ATV_s%29.html

Would appreciate if anyone has any info on em, what are they like to deal with, etc. I guess PM me if you can, cos not sure o company info on the open boards...

Thanks in advance...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mooverlive

hey there hourigan cycles are near me dont deal with them personaly but they are in buisness for close on 30 years so must b doing something right only in last number of years they moved into quads but ask any biker in munster and they know them . they have a big ad in farm and plant hope that helps

• Advertisement

Hello all,

So - as a lot of people here, I am debating getting a quad.

Reasons are reduce time spent checking on things, and I guess there is a bit of laziness in there as well... :rolleyes:

Now, I know absolutely nothing about them... so I would appreciate any help or advice you could offer.

I wouldn't plan on doing any majorly heavy work with it, mainly for herding, spraying, pulling a small trailer...
    Our land wouldn't be very wet, but it would be fairly high.

I have heard that a 250cc 2WD quad would be fine for most jobs, its when you get into pulling very heavy loads, such as a fertiliser spinner or heavy trailer that you need 4WD. Is this fair to say?

OR would I better off just going with a 300cc 4WD and be done with it...?

Finally - this crowd seem to have a lot of Quads - http://www.hourigansmotorcycles.com/Quads_%28ATV_s%29.html

Would appreciate if anyone has any info on em, what are they like to deal with, etc. I guess PM me if you can, cos not sure o company info on the open boards...

Thanks in advance...

i know someone who bales silage on the country and sheep farms aswell , they bought a honda 250 2wd at the begining of thie year and reckon its the best machine they ever bought , they too are mostly herding and also toe a small trailer for lambs but the same trailer would bring calves etc , unless you land is very soft then a 2wd should suffice and a 250 beit a honda or an equivelent yamaha or suzuki would definatley do , small bikes are easier to run , they are also much nicer to drive , lighter steering , you can pick up a honda 250 brand new right now for around 4500 or less , you could get a quality 2nd hand in a private sale for half that , best place to look is donedeal.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Ashill5

I bought a new Suzuki 400 this year and find it great. I have done a good bit of work with it and find it very reliable.:D Would be very carefull buying 2nd hand as you might be buying somebody's else's trouble. You could get a new Suzuki 400 for less than 6k and have your warrenty with it. Bought mine off Ken O'Neill's in Miltown, Co.Kerry and found them good to deal with.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

hate to bust your bubble but honda lawnmoweres are castlegarden with a honda badge and red colour , so too are john deere and massey , all have briggs and stratton engines which are fine but castlegarden are a cheaper type of lawnmower , wouldnt be a huge fan myself , snapper or simplicity , now those are good mowers

checked the engine the other evening, labeled honda gcv 520 so seems like a honda engine to me

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

mooverlive wrote: »
    hey there hourigan cycles are near me dont deal with them personaly but they are in buisness for close on 30 years so must b doing something right only in last number of years they moved into quads but ask any biker in munster and they know them . they have a big ad in farm and plant hope that helps

Really good back up.Wet land all round there so lots of Quads.Seen some class jap imports there with all the add ons.Spoke to a mechanic there and Bag manure is their big problem rotting all before it especially guys with older spreaders where it ends up on the bike.You should see the state of some of the bikes guys bring in for repairs

Advertisement