Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thinking of going to Yeats College?

• 21-10-2014 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Firstly I do realise Yeats is not a sure fire way of getting the points you need.
    I'm hoping to do medicine (you may have seen my other post apologies for the clogging!) I won't be getting 90+ in French Maths or Irish (I could pass higher in all bar maths but I couldn't get 90+)
    So I was thinking of simply passing those subjects and picking up two other subjects (that relate to my subjects I've already picked) and going hell for leather for points..

I realise the expense and I've convinced my father but my mams a little hesitant she says if others can get high points in your school why can't you etc..

I'm willing to study my ass off but in reality I need a little push to get me started..

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your mother has a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

spurious wrote: »
    Your mother has a point.

She always does! But truth is even the group of people in my school (bar a few) have no really ambitions and because subjects like business, geography and biology are mixed classes (OL and higher but all learning same info just different questions) and a few people have commented how certain people are disrupting class..
    To be honest I feel I would have a much better chance of getting those vital points

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

My nephew wasn't having much success in school. The whole system didn't suit him. but he went to yeats, and my God the difference! The attention, effort, treatment by the staff down there I must say, it is money well spent!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

I went to my local school for all my years but I did a revision course in Yeats for a week over Christmas last year and my best friend is a full time student there. It was instantly apparent that Yeats has a more focused atmosphere than my school and I found the environment was a lot more conducive to study.

There were also zero disruptions during study periods which was a great change from my school. Give it some thought over the next few weeks and discuss it with your parents. Be mindful of your parents' financial constraints though. I was considering the move for Leaving Cert and my mother was considering it too but to put it bluntly it would have simply been too much of a financial burden.

I'd insert one serious caveat though. There are so many people up there who assume that merely attending Yeats guarantees them 500 points. Don't be that naive. The environment and teachers seem top class but it's still ultimately down to the student to consolidate the learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

TheBiz wrote: »
    Firstly I do realise Yeats is not a sure fire way of getting the points you need.
    I'm hoping to do medicine (you may have seen my other post apologies for the clogging!) I won't be getting 90+ in French Maths or Irish (I could pass higher in all bar maths but I couldn't get 90+)
    So I was thinking of simply passing those subjects and picking up two other subjects (that relate to my subjects I've already picked) and going hell for leather for points..

I realise the expense and I've convinced my father but my mams a little hesitant she says if others can get high points in your school why can't you etc..

I'm willing to study my ass off but in reality I need a little push to get me started..

Think of it like this .
    If you are not willing to put in the work in your current school to get an a1 what makes you think you will be willing to put in the work at some expensive college .

Save your parents the expense and just do the work in your current school .
    It also comes down to aptitude . If you aren't able to get an a1 in a subject then going to a more expensive school isn't going to change the facts .

For example I went to to a community school . I put in the work myself and got the results I needed.
    It all comes down to how much you want it and how much work you are willing to put into something . In my opinion going to an expensive school isn't going to change these things !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

robman60 wrote: »
    I went to my local school for all my years but I did a revision course in Yeats for a week over Christmas last year and my best friend is a full time student there. It was instantly apparent that Yeats has a more focused atmosphere than my school and I found the environment was a lot more conducive to study.

There were also zero disruptions during study periods which was a great change from my school. Give it some thought over the next few weeks and discuss it with your parents. Be mindful of your parents' financial constraints though. I was considering the move for Leaving Cert and my mother was considering it too but to put it bluntly it would have simply been too much of a financial burden.

I'd insert one serious caveat though. There are so many people up there who assume that merely attending Yeats guarantees them 500 points. Don't be that naive. The environment and teachers seem top class but it's still ultimately down to the student to consolidate the learning.

This is because people are paying for the service rather than going to a non fee paying school . Why would they waste their own money .
    Welcome to college life :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

I'd like to add one more point,I've made a blunder... I was told sometime near 1st year that the points I got in my exams were the points I got in my leaving NOT that if I got over 90% it was 100 points and I never questioned that fact nor was I told differently so, realistically I'm looking at 540/550 points! If u really put my head down!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Going from an environment like Yeats college to uni (especially medicine) will be a shock. Nobody gives you anything in college, you have to work it out yourself, no one is there to tell you if its right or wrong, hold your hand, baby you, remind you of due dates and what not, its all on your own gumpshin, your own get up and go, and personally I believe if someone hasn't the get up and go to force themselves to work extra hard, study everyday, unless theyre going to a 7k a year school isn't cut out for college just yet-this isn't an attack on you op, Im just suggesting you re-evaluate this, do you really need Yeats to hold your hand through the LC or can you achieve the points on your own merits?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭LauraaWhelann

Look at it this way, if you do the same amount of work/study in the school you are in, it is likely that if you put the same amount of effort in in Yeats that you would come out with a similar result. I know many people who have gone there, and have worked so hard, but if they had worked just as hard in their previous school then they probably would have come out with the same result. Sure, the school is more exam focused but the ultimate variable is YOUR exam focus. You are the only one who can determine your results. The Leaving may seem impossible, but it isn't. You really get out what you put in, where you go only has a dismal influence compared to the work you do yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Tet2015

"If you want it as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"

• Advertisement
Advertisement