Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

the occult review April 1936

Options
  • 04-10-2014 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, I'm wondering does anyone know where I might find -"The Occult Review, April 1936 issue"
    I'm looking for an essay by S. Everard on " Oliver Cromwell and Black Magic.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Moved from Conspiracy theories to Paranormal. Hope this helps OP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

• Registered Users Posts: 11 eangach

Thanks a lot for that.I'll check that out. Let the search continue!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

The Fortean Times might be of help That publication has been around before 1936. Just google it and it should take you there. You might have to email them then and I guess if anyone knows they will!
    eangach wrote: »
    Hi, I'm wondering does anyone know where I might find -"The Occult Review, April 1936 issue"
    I'm looking for an essay by S. Everard on " Oliver Cromwell and Black Magic.

Thanks

You have got me interested in these mags now would love to read one. Spotted a few about haunted houses and all that goes.. Let us know if you do find them

• Advertisement

Any update on this did you ever get a copy of it

• Registered Users Posts: 39 GladWrap

I daresay something like this would be found in the archives of a library. I know it was on eBay as I found its cover but it's been sold.

While I don't have the original article, I have read it (I studied history and wrote about Irish slavery in Cromwell's era) and understand it to be a conspiracy theory purported by a relative of a man who was said to have been with Cromwell on the occasion he met with Satan, the allegation being that Cromwell sold his soul and body in exchange for temporal success.

There are many mentions of Cromwell's supposed connection with black magic. Hardly paranormal though. I did find a passage:

'Early on the morning of the Battle of Worcester, September 3, 1651, Oliver invited Lindsay, his intimate friend an a 'first captain of his regiment', to go with him to a wood not far from the army……………..Cromwell walked a short distance away from Lindsey and was met by " a grave, elderly man " who held a roll of parchment in his hand.
    Lindsey saw it passed to Cromwell , who unrolled it , glanced rapidly over the contents, and then in angry disappointment passed it back again, exclaiming angrily in a loud voice, " This is but for seven years, I was to have it for twenty-one and it must and shall be so."
    Oliver's anger made no impression , for quite unmoved the wizard merely repeated that he could not have it any longer than seven years, " and if he would not take it , there were others that would accept it."

'Oliver Cromwell and Black Magic' -- S. Everard.
    From the 'Occult Review', April 1936.

Advertisement