Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Terrestrial TV

• 22-12-2010 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Can anyone tell me how I can get the 7 rte digital chanells I have a DGM digital tv and when I autotune for the chanells it finds 17, 10 radio & 7 tv but I cant get the tv chanells on my screen onle the 10 radio chanells please help
    thanks
    mULLENJF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Never heard of that TV, but it sounds like it does not support MPEG4 broadcasts, therefore it will not work. You will need a compatible box / receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

As JDextra has said above:

You need an MPEG4 compatible tv or set top box.

Get yourself a saorview certified set top box and you'll be sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mULLENJF

Thanks it should have MPEG4 as I bought the telly in Ireland

Thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Most TVs sold here are not Irish Digital Compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

mULLENJF wrote: »

Thanks anyway

What model TV is it?
    Little or no regulation on what TV's can or cant be sold in Ireland.
    Many big name retailers still flogging TV's with "Freeview" logo which many will only decode an Mpeg2 signal. Watty has posted numerous times on this. Best bets is to ask here or thoroughly research before you buy. There is a sticky here for Saorview compatible TV's or purchase a STB < €100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks anyway

Complain to the seller ....... ask for a refund or replacement as the TV will not display the signals.

I would be inclined to try returning it as 'broken' ;)

At the very least it may save someone in the future from the same situation, if nothing else.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you bought it within last two years and it was labelled "Digital" then you have an excellent chance of Refund

http://www.techtir.ie/blog/cinocat4/no-dtt-get-money-back

and
    Key elements of the receiver specification include the following:

1. The receiver needs to be capable of decoding both Standard Definition (SD) and High Definition (HD) MPEG 4 signals. This is important as RTÉ is planning to replace its current SD RTÉ Two service with an RTÉ Two HD service on SAORVIEW. More HD services are likely to follow in the future.

2. The receiver needs to have MHEG5 middleware to decode RTÉ’s proposed new Digital Aertel Service and other possible interactive services.

In December 2008 RTÉ published its Minimum Receiver Requirements. It subsequently appointed a company to test receivers for compliance with the these requirements and instigated an approval process for manufacturers. RTÉ did not add any further technical requirements beyond what was already required in the Department’s specification
    From http://saorview.ie/receiving.html

The Trade was also notified. There is no excuse.

It could even be argued that Analogue only TVs can be returned unless there was a notice warning that they would not work on Irish DTT.

This would probably be even truer for any TV sold since end October 2010.

Where can I find a saorview certified set top box I tried Maplin but they dont have any
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Where can I find a saorview certified set top box I tried Maplin but they dont have any
    Thanks

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-23-WP11DT

• Advertisement

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Hey guys

Sorry to hijack a thread but my query is pretty much the same, so did not want to duplicate threads.

This question is probably stupid I know but I am a bit of a clueless girl about these things :o I am moving into a new apartment soon and basically was wondering if I buy a saorview TV with the built-in tuner e.g. one of the Walker TVs in Power City and plug it in, autotune it (or whatever!), should it pick up the Irish digital channels, or do I need another aerial or anything? I have read a few buts on this form / saorview sites, saying you also need an aerial to access terrestrial TV (even a rabbit ears type one - I don't think I have one of these). Is this stiull the case even with digital?

Is power city the only place to get a Saorview TV? Does anyone know if any other stores like Argos or Currys are planning on getting Walkers in soon (I am not near a Power city)?

Thanks a million :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Is power city the only place to get a Saorview TV? Does anyone know if any other stores like Argos or Currys are planning on getting Walkers in soon (I am not near a Power city)?
    Power City or a Euronics ( franchise) store ....these stock Walker. Ring to check.

http://www.euronics.ie/stores/stores.html

The Walkers ARE the ONLY Saorview certified TVs at this time but a Samsung Sony or LG should be fine. Avoid Phillips and Panasonic...and the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭PressTheButton

Receiving Saorview:
    The majority of homes will receive SAORVIEW through an existing aerial (either rooftop or set-top (rabbit's ears). In most cases, you should not need a new aerial.
    In your case (ie apartment), an outdoor or attic UHF aerial may not be an option. If signal is strong enough in 'your village by the sea' a set-top aerial of the type shown HERE would work. Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Receiving Saorview:
    In your case (ie apartment), an outdoor or attic UHF aerial may not be an option. If signal is strong enough in 'your village by the sea' a set-top aerial of the type shown HERE would work. Good Luck!

Great! Thanks so much for clearing that up. I will ask the guys in the shop for an indoor aerial like that when I am buying my new TV so :) Thanks again :)

Thanks a Lot everybody I ordered a Set top box from powercity

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭PressTheButton

No probs. Of the three indoor aerials shown, I have the one on the left. Inexpensive & works perfectly in 'The Big Smoke'. Might not be the coolest thing to look at but surprisingly works almost as well (here at least) positioned out of sight behind the TV. Even if you have to raise it higher where you are it's a small price to have to pay for the excellent reception it will provide for your new Saorview compliant TV. Follow Sponge Bob's excellent advice on choice of TV & you won't go wrong.

Advertisement