Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lexus GS450H?

• 22-10-2014 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

I am in the market for a sporty family-size 4 door with about 15K budget but want something that stands out from the crowd. I am willing to spend a little more on fuel to get extra BHP, so larger engine size not a problem. I saw reviews on the Lexus GS450H and it looks interesting. Not many on the road, but I've seen a few 2008 models on DD which seem to fit the budget. Does anyone have first hand experience with this motor that they can share ? Any other suggestions ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Previous mentions in Motors for that model.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fmcg_scribe

The GS is more of cruiser - it's not "sporty". If you want a sporty Lexus, buy an IS-F or RC-F.

The German rivals, notably the 5 series, would be perceived as more sporty but some people might prefer the comfort and handling of the GS.

You might need to test drive some cars to help guide your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Redtop

Thanks for both responses. IS-F seems a bit tight in the back. Need something bigger. RC-F looks too new, only 2-Door (I think) and way over my budget. Looked at 5-Series but heard some stories about high maintenance costs. One garage had a long line of them in for serious engine work which was keeping them very busy. Reliability record of Lexus seems much better.

Have owned one Lexus and several beemers. There are trade-offs with both brands. If you buy a used Lexus with a good service history, it should be reliable and not cost too much to maintain. However, if you're a keen driver, you might start to hate your Lexus after a while.

An approved used BMW might be a compromise because of the warranty and the time and money spent preparing the car for sale.

It might also be a good idea to look at other brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Have you considered an LS430 or 460?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Or even one of the Volvos, like S80?

Lexus LS is worth a look (a lot of car for the money) but the pros and cons of the GS also apply to the LS, plus there would be the additional issue of higher depreciation (probably) than the GS and an S class/7 series/A8.

Agree that the S80 is also worth a look but depreciation would probably be an issue.

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Have you considered an LS430 or 460?
    The LS430 & 460 are certainly a lot of car for the money but you get nailed on Road Tax of 1,800 whereas the 2008 GS Road Tax is 750. The 2012 model is lower again but that model is outside my budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The GS450H may not be especially sporty but will leave most of its equivalently priced competitors (520d etc) far behind in the rearview mirror in a straight line at least (it's about 350bhp). Reliability is excellent and servicing is easy if that's your game. You should expect about 27 - 30 mpg in mixed driving, which is bloody good for the performance. Spec will generally be way higher than the Germans, especially if you get a Sport model (look for a rear spoiler).

Known issues: creaks / rattles from dash (can be sorted with a bit of effort if you can be bothered); xenon bulbs blowing; rear brake calipers seizing. These issues are generally a lot cheaper to fix than known problems with equivalent marques.

Negatives - small boot, plasticky dash.

I have its brother the GS300 BTW.

Another brand to consider would be Jaguar, especially the outgoing XF and the previous shape XJ.

• Advertisement

Thanks. The Jag XF is a beauty but the cheapest ones are a little over budget starting at €17K. Jag XJ is a classic but a bit old fashioned, although they can be got for cheap.

Advertisement