Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Upgrading Audio in Ford Fiesta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The jvc won't fit as it's a double din unit. The ford unit is 1.5 din. For the focus a double din adapted front panel is available but I'm not sure about the fiesta.

The pioneer will need a fascia adapter aswel. It can be got in halfords. Bear in mind that the pioneer you posted has no CD player, just usb and radio.

As for the speakers

Get a set of pioneers or JVC speakers etc with a low RMS watt rating (below 40). Your head unit will drive these much better. I think for the fiesta you will need adapters to make the speakers fit though.

Tbh I'd put in a new head unit first and see how it goes. The original speakers might be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The jvc won't fit as it's a double din unit. The ford unit is 1.5 din. For the focus a double din adapted front panel is available but I'm not sure about the fiesta.

The pioneer will need a fascia adapter aswel. It can be got in halfords. Bear in mind that the pioneer you posted has no CD player, just usb and radio.

As for the speakers

Get a set of pioneers or JVC speakers etc with a low RMS watt rating (below 40). Your head unit will drive these much better. I think for the fiesta you will need adapters to make the speakers fit though.

Tbh I'd put in a new head unit first and see how it goes. The original speakers might be fine.

Don't need a CD player!

What's a head unit (I know.. noob)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Headunit is the actual "stereo"

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

A double din radio can be squeezed into the Ford fiesta hole if the stock metal cage is removed. It really is a squeeze but it means once the radio is in, its not going anwhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

What about the speakers then lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭MobileAudio

I would go for the single DIN option with reducing panel. They sell these in Ford dealers for a few Euro. Hacking a double din unit in that opening will only ruin it, especially if you want to return to stock and sell the car.

As for the speakers go for a known brand, always better off. If your on a budget something like a set of Pioneers would be fine. If your running them off your head unit ( CD player / Stereo ) the efficiency of the speaker will be more important then the Watts so don't pay too much notice of power ratings.

I would go for the single DIN option with reducing panel. They sell these in Ford dealers for a few Euro. Hacking a double din unit in that opening will only ruin it, especially if you want to return to stock and sell the car.

As for the speakers go for a known brand, always better off. If your on a budget something like a set of Pioneers would be fine. If your running them off your head unit ( CD player / Stereo ) the efficiency of the speaker will be more important then the Watts so don't pay too much notice of power ratings.

The rms Power ratings are very important with the max power ratings being less so.

You don't want to be buying a set of speakers with an rms rating of 70 watts and the stereo only pumping out circa 20 watts rms. That will never be enough to power those speakers properly. Speakers with an rms rating of around 30 watts would run of the head unit much better.

As for the fascia adapter, Im not so sure that it can be got from ford. I know Halfords and some motor factors sell an autoleads version for around €10-12

Efficiency is more important then a power rating, max or RMS when it comes to getting the most from a speaker running off a head unit.

Think about it...which will be more efficient to run with 20 watts RMS

A , a 150 watt RMS speaker with an efficiency rating of 93db

B, a 45 watt RMS speaker with an efficiency rating of 89db

Efficiency is more important then a power rating, max or RMS when it comes to getting the most from a speaker running off a head unit.

Sorry but no. An amplifier rated at 20 watt rms will run whatever is closest to it's rms rating better. There won't be enough power in a head unit to drive a 150 watt rms rated speaker properly.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Sorry but no. An amplifier rated at 20 watt rms will run whatever is closest to it's rms rating better. There won't be enough power in a head unit to drive a 150 watt rms rated speaker properly.

So you think the 45 watts RMS speaker will be more efficient powered off a head unit ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement