Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Noob with a few questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

As someone who has also been looking around for a watch, price wise I'd avoid the retail prices quoted by the Irish shops and buy abroad.

Some grey market shops have the same models you listed there such as Creation Watches which people on boards have used before (I haven't but there is a lot of info about them on the net) and the savings can be considerable at that price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

For you budget I would suggest Steinhart / Tissot / Seiko.

I like the diver range from Steinhart. Smart looking, look great with a suit as well as t-shirt and jeans. Waterproof too so you won't have to take it off washing dishes or taking a shower. If you don't like it it should be very easy to sell on.
    http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/diver-watch.html

Seiko and Tissot are also great brands. You won't really go wrong with them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

ive had one of these for a few years now and still imaculate

Seiko Arctura

18-62-428.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

pawrick wrote: »
    As someone who has also been looking around for a watch, price wise I'd avoid the retail prices quoted by the Irish shops and buy abroad.

Some grey market shops have the same models you listed there such as Creation Watches which people on boards have used before (I haven't but there is a lot of info about them on the net) and the savings can be considerable at that price range.

Thanks for this. When you say buy abroad, where is a good place to buy? I travel a bit and I'm off to the south of France next week, but not sure if I want to purchase in anywhere that may have counterfeit or sub standard stock. Is buying online a better option at all?
    For you budget I would suggest Steinhart / Tissot / Seiko.

I like the diver range from Steinhart. Smart looking, look great with a suit as well as t-shirt and jeans. Waterproof too so you won't have to take it off washing dishes or taking a shower. If you don't like it it should be very easy to sell on.
    http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/diver-watch.html

Seiko and Tissot are also great brands. You won't really go wrong with them either.

Thanks for the link, I don't think the Steinharts are to my taste to be honest, Out of what you suggested, Tissot and Seiko are two brands I'd be open to as they seem to have models that are in the style I'm looking for.
    ive had one of these for a few years now and still imaculate

Seiko Arctura

18-62-428.jpg

Doesn't look bad, but I think I've seen others that are a bit more to my fancy.

I took a look at the Citizen Titanium range and there is one for €350 which doens't look too bad. It's very light and fits well on my hand. There's a lot of choice out there and I guess it's down to personal preference but what are the gauges or measurements you guys use for a watch?

I.e. for a phone, you could say screen size, weight, processing power etc.. For a watch, I know that the size of the face, potentially the weight and the crown are things to watch out for, but what else? I see a lot of speak regarding 'movement'.. Can anyone enlighten me as to what this means? Is it the way in which the needles move around the face?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Someone mentioned Creation watches.....

http://www.creationwatches.com/products/featured-products/

Scroll down about 10 watches to the Citizen Eco-drive. That looks like a good price to me.

They have a testimonial section - and as mentioned before a few here seem to have used them - I haven't....but I'd be asking around....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Well I think most people here are looking mainly at
    • Build Quality
    • Design
    • Movement
    • Functions
    • Retained value

The 2 watches you picked out have quartz movements and so are powered by a battery, they are pretty accurate on a day to day basis.

The Seiko watch has a chronograph (stop watch function) and it will need battery replacements every 2yrs or so.

The Citizen has a battery also but it is solar powered so the battery should top up it's charge provided it gets enough access to light. It has no chronograph function. It has a perpetual calendar, which means the date adjusts for the different length of months and leap years.

Mechanical movements are powered by either winding them (daily or every other day usually) or by the movement of your wrist (automatic). They will stop if you leave them in a drawer for more than 2 days. Often people who are like watches prefer mechanical movements. They are not usually as accurate as quartz watches (but I haven't adjusted the time on my €300 watch since 1st March, and it is still within 1 minute). Different movements are more sought after depending on whether they are in-house (designed and built by the watch brand), bought in Swiss (Usually made by ETA -part of the Swatch group (The Steinharts have these movements)), Japanese good quality movements a lot cheaper than Swiss (because of watch history), Russian or other (usually Chinese or Indian).

So I guess you should decide what you want out of your watch and prioritise the list for you.

Do you just want a watch that looks good?
    What functions do you want?
    Which movement broadly speaking do you want (Quartz/Handwound/Automatic)?

Then try to find the best value.
    If you are interested in automatics for your price range, as an alternative to the Steinharts, have a look at Orient. Not in shops here, good value on this website. They use an in house japanese movement which is good, but doesn't have a hacking second (at least on my one).
    CFA05001B0-1.jpg €289 (but out of stock at the moment)
    You will also be able to get Tissot and Seiko automatics for the money. Mechanical chronographs are usually more expensive due to the extra complication, and may be starting to get relatively thick for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Sunster

Have to agree with Mitch, you should look at the likes of Steinhart. Get much more bang for buck and instant WIS respect!
    Problem with going to high st jewellers is their mark ups are huge and the watches arent worth that kind of money. Some of the Japanese Seiko automatic divers are excellent at this price range such as the SKX007 or the Sumo. Look them up (again you'll not see them in the high st)

blindsider wrote: »
    Someone mentioned Creation watches.....

http://www.creationwatches.com/products/featured-products/

Scroll down about 10 watches to the Citizen Eco-drive. That looks like a good price to me.

They have a testimonial section - and as mentioned before a few here seem to have used them - I haven't....but I'd be asking around....

Yeah the fields price for the Citizen is >€35 more than the RRP in the UK and at the moment I'd be hoping to get discounts from the RRP!

I guess I'd go for the high street option as it's one I could trust without worrying about fakes or what happens if it breaks.

I guess from a watch perspective, all I need it to do is tell the time, I'll never use a stop watch and any other feature, at the same time, I want something that looks subtle yet still look attractive.

The creation website sounds good, but what's the catch?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I think I'm still swayed towards a 'mainstream' brand such as Seiko or Citizen..

Still can't make up my mind!

OREGATO wrote: »
    I guess I'd go for the high street option as it's one I could trust without worrying about fakes or what happens if it breaks.

I guess from a watch perspective, all I need it to do is tell the time, I'll never use a stop watch and any other feature, at the same time, I want something that looks subtle yet still look attractive.

The creation website sounds good, but what's the catch?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I think I'm still swayed towards a 'mainstream' brand such as Seiko or Citizen..

Still can't make up my mind!

Does there have to be a catch?

Ireland is a very expensive place to buy anything!

ALWAYS shop around. Guarantees are world-wide. So, if you buy a watch in OZ, or the USA, the guarantee is still valid here.

I've had 'jewellers' ask me 'Did you buy the watch here?' when I needed a new battery etc - I just look 'em in the eye and say 'No.'

I can buy a watch etc wherever I bloody like!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Maybe check out my recent thread - my budget was a bit lower than yours, but you might get some ideas.

I guess all watch newbies have to start somewhere. Eventually when the obsession kicks in, they will see the light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

To be fair, if you want to get something a bit more 'special' at that price range, you can't really do any better than buying vintage. €300 plus €100 for a service would buy you a nice vintage watch on the Bay that will last you years, and will have a lot more character and class than a €400 modern watch. You'd probably have no shortage of suggestions if you were willing to consider it - and of course your fears re. fakery aren't really an issue if you avoid Omega. I don't think there's anything else in that price range that is very frequently faked.

Edit: just saw the ones you are thinking of - they look pretty nasty to me, but of course we all have different tastes! Ignore my suggestion so - I was really thinking of 3 hand watches, with a date at a push...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh oh, Ive infected Monty... :eek::) I would of course agree with him. I've gotten real high quality stuff from high quality names for Casio money. However, vintage unless you look at something more recent is going to have an issue with water resistance. If it's a dress watch then that's less of an issue of course. The second however would be regarding size. Vintage are generally small for today's tastes. Pre 1970's anyway. The 70's stuff is bigger, but stylistically may not appeal. Resistance to shock might be an issue too. That said I once went clay pigeon shooting and was wearing a 1916 "trench watch". It flew through the day, yet one of the guys modern Raymond Veils(quartz too) broke, so...

Going by what you've been saying I'd reckon if you were going for mechanical you couldn't go far wrong with Zagato's Orient suggestion. Eoin's thread a good idea to peruse too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh oh, Ive infected Monty... :eek::)
    Ah no Wibbs, I was a hopeless case before I came here...just got delivery of my twenty-somethingth watch today - a silver-dialled Zenith Surf with a manual wind 2562 movement... :o

(Cost less than €300 too :))

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If you're flying through T2, check out the watch shop that's near the gates. They tend to be a bit cheaper than Irish retailers. Sometimes as cheap as online retailers, but not that often.

My Steinhart just arrived today and I'm extremely happy with it. I can't believe how much watch I got for 350 delivered.

Eoin wrote: »
    If you're flying through T2, check out the watch shop that's near the gates. They tend to be a bit cheaper than Irish retailers. Sometimes as cheap as online retailers, but not that often.

My Steinhart just arrived today and I'm extremely happy with it. I can't believe how much watch I got for 350 delivered.

Agreed. You'd be hard pressed to find a watch of that build quality with an ETA auto motor in it for that price range anywhere else.

Maybe check out my recent thread - my budget was a bit lower than yours, but you might get some ideas.

Thanks for this, I've had a read through it :)
    To be fair, if you want to get something a bit more 'special' at that price range, you can't really do any better than buying vintage. €300 plus €100 for a service would buy you a nice vintage watch on the Bay that will last you years, and will have a lot more character and class than a €400 modern watch. You'd probably have no shortage of suggestions if you were willing to consider it - and of course your fears re. fakery aren't really an issue if you avoid Omega. I don't think there's anything else in that price range that is very frequently faked.

Edit: just saw the ones you are thinking of - they look pretty nasty to me, but of course we all have different tastes! Ignore my suggestion so - I was really thinking of 3 hand watches, with a date at a push...

You see, the thing is, that's all I want! or is it? lol.. I do like the simple faces, but something I also like is the additional smaller faces etc.. I guess that's why I'm on here, I'm looking for suggestions etc...

However, do speak to me now about second hand.. I took a look at adverts and although nothing really jumped out.. I guess it could be 'worth a punt' if the right watch came up.

I'm flying through on Tuesday afternoon! I'll take a look and see what I find.. I really should try my best to do as much research as I can before that though!

My previous watch was a Tissot PRC 200 which is great value for money. They're about 330 new. It has the sub dials you like, but it still is a bit simpler than the designs you've mentioned. Off the top of my head, a Citizen Skyhawk might be an option too?

• Advertisement

nt! or is it? lol.. I do like the simple faces, but something I also like is the additional smaller faces etc..

However, do speak to me now about second hand.. I took a look at adverts and although nothing really jumped out..

Well you see, now we've gotten to the root of the problem.... and don't worry your not the first..... you don't need another watch ....you need 2 at least! ;)

It is worth looking at some of the watch forums sales forums as well as adverts. If you see something you like you can always post here and get opinions, but it's you who'll be wearing it, so make sure you get a watch that you like.

Don't know if he'll be able to see this, but this might be up the OP's alley: http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=217231&sid=f2bac3c42fddae5d121efb51aab5ca00

Spotted by Homer...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Homer

Don't know if he'll be able to see this, but this might be up the OP's alley: http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=217231&sid=f2bac3c42fddae5d121efb51aab5ca00

Spotted by Homer...

just in case they can't.. here are the pics. Currently asking £260 including delivery

P1070319x1700.jpg

Strela06.jpg

P1070392apf700.jpg

xx1t700.jpg

P1090705.jpg

P1090691x.jpg

My previous watch was a Tissot PRC 200 which is great value for money. They're about 330 new. It has the sub dials you like, but it still is a bit simpler than the designs you've mentioned. Off the top of my head, a Citizen Skyhawk might be an option too?

Thanks for the suggestions man, much appreciated and keep them coming, the Tissot is nice, but I'm not sure why, I don't really like the face/crown (not sure if that's the right word)
    blindsider wrote: »

Perferably looking for a metal strap as opposed to leather/rubber. But that one doesn't look too bad..
    Zagato wrote: »
    Well you see, now we've gotten to the root of the problem.... and don't worry your not the first..... you don't need another watch ....you need 2 at least! ;)

It is worth looking at some of the watch forums sales forums as well as adverts. If you see something you like you can always post here and get opinions, but it's you who'll be wearing it, so make sure you get a watch that you like.

I think you're right about the 2 watches statement. I'm seriously considering it now, but I think I'll start with one more and build my collection as I go. As for watching forums, I already following around 4 or 5 non watch related forums but I might take a look at one or two.. I've been watching adverts like a hawk, which ones would be the highest volume etc etc?
    Homer wrote: »
    just in case they can't.. here are the pics. Currently asking £260 including delivery

That is really nice.. I can't get onto the thread but can someone just tell me roughly what the story is with it? It looks really nice, now I know I said I'd go second hand, but would prefer something new as well if possible, I'm in no rush to buy (although I can be extermely impulsive at times..)

Also, one more thing to note, the back of the watch, where you can see all of the 'movement?' (i'm still a noob!) or the mechanics of everything moving around, that is really cool and something I'd like to have on the watch I'm getting.

Any further recommendations both new and second hand would be great.

Thanks

Will

Also, I'm trying to register over on Tz-UK but it says registration is unavailable at this time?

Also, one more thing to note, the back of the watch, where you can see all of the 'movement?' (i'm still a noob!) or the mechanics of everything moving around, that is really cool and something I'd like to have on the watch I'm getting.
    Bear in mind that the watches you are strongly considering are quartz watches and have nothing to see inside (unless you like plastic and batteries) so won't have transparent case backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Homer

Also, I'm trying to register over on Tz-UK but it says registration is unavailable at this time?

Due to recent changes on the forum you will need at least 50 posts before you can even see the sales corner section and at least 250 posts before you can make posts there.

As you can't see the post I have posted some of the relevant info below for you in case you are interested in the Hamilton.

I am selling my Hamilton H32656785 Jazzmaster auto chrono, the one with the grey dial and blue hands. The watch has a Valjoux 7753 movement and is a pleasure to the eye. It comes as is, just the watch, no box, papers or stick to set date.
    I have bought this of Ebay myself. I posted the experience here as it was advertised as new, which I paid for ,and I received it with usage marks. Nothing too bad but when I pay for new I want new. I one the paypal dispute but had also taken it to a Jeweler for assessment, they fixed it in an hour for EUR 10 with a mild polish. Shipping back insured to the USA was over EUR 30 so I made that logical choice. I kept the invoice which I can also ship.
    I'm looking for EUR 750 excluding shipping, have it advertised elsewehere for slightly more but if I can make someone here happy and deal with a tz-uk user that would have my preference.
    It really is in great shape, runs fine and the most you'll see of usage is the bottom part of the strap - see for yourself. Was going to replace the strap with a dark blue one but never got round to that, do have some pictures though of how that looks if you are interested.

Homer wrote: »
    Due to recent changes on the forum you will need at least 50 posts before you can even see the sales corner section and at least 250 posts before you can make posts there.

As you can't see the post I have posted some of the relevant info below for you in case you are interested in the Hamilton.

I am selling my Hamilton H32656785 Jazzmaster auto chrono, the one with the grey dial and blue hands. The watch has a Valjoux 7753 movement and is a pleasure to the eye. It comes as is, just the watch, no box, papers or stick to set date.
    I have bought this of Ebay myself. I posted the experience here as it was advertised as new, which I paid for ,and I received it with usage marks. Nothing too bad but when I pay for new I want new. I one the paypal dispute but had also taken it to a Jeweler for assessment, they fixed it in an hour for EUR 10 with a mild polish. Shipping back insured to the USA was over EUR 30 so I made that logical choice. I kept the invoice which I can also ship.
    I'm looking for EUR 750 excluding shipping, have it advertised elsewehere for slightly more but if I can make someone here happy and deal with a tz-uk user that would have my preference.
    It really is in great shape, runs fine and the most you'll see of usage is the bottom part of the strap - see for yourself. Was going to replace the strap with a dark blue one but never got round to that, do have some pictures though of how that looks if you are interested.

Thanks for this, the problem I'm having is, I can't even register on the forum at the moment :(
    Bear in mind that the watches you are strongly considering are quartz watches and have nothing to see inside (unless you like plastic and batteries) so won't have transparent case backs.

I guess I'm making progress, I'd like something that isn't just battery powered, I'd like something that's not automatic.

Why rule out automatics?

• Advertisement

Why rule out automatics?

Hmm, wouldn't say I'd rule them out, I just like the feature of the transparent back with a view of the mechanics etc.

Keep the suggestions coming.. I'm looking at second hand tags on ebay at the moment :(

Advertisement