Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CSLL complications?

• 20-08-2011 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I'm pretty ok after the results for monday. i hope to get CSLL computer science linguistics and a language. My first CAO choice is this with french and my second is this with irish but i got 570 and my first choice was 430ish last year.

The questions is, have i picked the right language? and could i ring up and swap over through the college if I prefer to do the course with irish?

Here's my reasoning:
    1.I got A1 in higher Irish and A2 in higher french.....fairly even stevens!
    2.I've prefered Irish all the way up through school and it's important to me, but i still really like french.
    3.ya cant deny that french goes that bit further, irish can kinda restrict you to ....... well to Ireland :P
    4. I got a killer french accent all of a sudden before the oral exams :p haha.

oh ya and theres a year of each course in the correspondin country, france or Belgium sounds a lot better than Celtic Scotland or whatever!

thanks for listenin! :D

Je suis trés buartha!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stesh

danoboy254 wrote: »
    I'm pretty ok after the results for monday. i hope to get CSLL computer science linguistics and a language. My first CAO choice is this with french and my second is this with irish but i got 570 and my first choice was 430ish last year.

The questions is, have i picked the right language? and could i ring up and swap over through the college if I prefer to do the course with irish?

Here's my reasoning:
    1.I got A1 in higher Irish and A2 in higher french.....fairly even stevens!
    2.I've prefered Irish all the way up through school and it's important to me, but i still really like french.
    3.ya cant deny that french goes that bit further, irish can kinda restrict you to ....... well to Ireland :P
    4. I got a killer french accent all of a sudden before the oral exams :p haha.

oh ya and theres a year of each course in the correspondin country, france or Belgium sounds a lot better than Celtic Scotland or whatever!

thanks for listenin! :D

Je suis trés buartha!

Hi, I'm going into 3rd year CSLL. Assuming that there will be enough places in each language (there probably will be) I wouldn't say this would be much of a problem. However, if you're planning on doing it, you'd have to let the course director know ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Just graduated CSLL (French).

Shouldn't be an issue swapping, I'd imagine. As stesh said, it's be best to talk to the course director (Dr. Carl Vogel) on day 1.

Something to bear in mind (if it's a big deal for you): when I was in 3rd year, the guys in my year studying Irish stayed in Dublin. (I think it's the same in your year, Stephen?)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭danoboy254

much obliged guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

You'd be extremely limited with job opportunities if you chose Irish, French is so much more widely spoken and if you're good at both I'd say go with French. If you really want to switch though I'd say it wouldn't be a problem as there won't be too many people applying for the Irish course.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stesh

You'd be extremely limited with job opportunities if you chose Irish, French is so much more widely spoken and if you're good at both I'd say go with French. If you really want to switch though I'd say it wouldn't be a problem as there won't be too many people applying for the Irish course.

What are you basing that claim on?

In any case, this isn't a vocational institute. Courses don't revolve around what jobs you can or can't do upon graduation. You should only pursue the course that you are actually in pursuing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

For the record, noone I know (of) who graduated CSLI had very much difficulty getting a job.

The only limitation with CSLI compared to CSLF would be when it comes to jobs that specifically require French.

Advertisement