Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2010 - September

• 06-04-2010 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well, I officially signed up today, after failing to find an alternative suitable fast marathon course in September (Chicago registration was closed). Having run this marathon last year, I'm hoping for a slightly cooler day, and to get ahead of the sub-3 congestion. Unfortunately I missed the cheap registration, so it's now up to €86. Ouch.

So who else is targeting this marathon major?

Berlin 2010
    Haile Gebrselassie
    Krusty_Clown

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 15 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    93%
    ergoopusKrusty_ClownThomas_S_HuntersonWoddlejrarT runnervillage runnerCapricapsychozebPixsarliamo123Patdusty2010Emer911 14 votes
    3 stars (average)
    6%
    eliwallach 1 vote
    2 star (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

4 stars (good)
    Good group of us going.
    Should be good to go sub 2.50 at that stage........
    We might jog around if our targets are similar.........The last mile would be fun. I wouldnt like to have to trip you...........
    We booked it back before xmas..........€316 3 nights 4 star hotel with flights, race and breakfast...........Hookers are extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

4 stars (good)
    If you want to trip me, you'll have to catch me first. :) I'm planning on 2:48 as a target, but will see what kind of form I'm in, in the middle of June when the training kicks in. So should be bang on for your target. I'll be going for a negative split though. :D

That's a great price. I'm looking at €150 for flights, plus another €150 for accommodation (apartment), plus €86 (race), plus food.

4 stars (good)
    If you want to trip me, you'll have to catch me first. :) I'm planning on 2:48 as a target, but will see what kind of form I'm in, in the middle of June when the training kicks in. So should be bang on for your target. I'll be going for a negative split though. :D

That's a great price. I'm looking at €150 for flights, plus another €150 for accommodation (apartment), plus €86 (race), plus food.
    Yes Mr negative split.......
    See how training goes. Would be nice to have a go........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Peckham

I'm waiting to see what happens in London, but Berlin is a possible for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'd love to do Berlin, but if I'm not doing Dingle/Dingle Ultra it'll be because I'm taking a break from marathons and working on my shorter distances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Yeah, I'm due to do this one. Hoping for a PB of 3:30. We'll see how training goes.

Slightly concerned at what I've been reading about the start. Seems amazing that so many races have the same problem. Surely somebody somewhere can come up with a standard start which can be applied at all races.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

KC I thought you would be tempted for a low 2:47 at this stage. ;)
    I am tempted with Amsterdam in Oct. Fast course. A school buddy of mine did a 2:33 in 2008 after a few years running, then had a son and took his foot off the gas since.
    Oh wouldn't it be good to be able to take a permanent sabbatical:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

3 stars (average)
    As a special treat for the celebration of my 40th (:() birthday, the OH registered me for the Berlin Marathon, booked hotel (5* Intercontinental, in the Ku'damm district, 400m from start line) and flights.
    She reckoned that all that interested me was running and travelling....It also suits her as all that interests her is shopping. I jest.

Worked in Berlin many moons ago, so it will be nice to reacquaint myself with the city, albeit while struggling through the streets.

So I'll be there.
    Only worry is that our flights (from Dublin) land at 13:55 on the Sat, and the Expo closes at 18:00. All going well we should make it but it is a little close for comfort. IIRC wasn't there some discussion about this last year and a helpful friend can collect your race pack if it come s to that?

4 stars (good)
    Seanie_H wrote: »
    Slightly concerned at what I've been reading about the start. Seems amazing that so many races have the same problem. Surely somebody somewhere can come up with a standard start which can be applied at all races.
    Which problems with the start? You mean congestion? It's unavoidable with 40k runners.

4 stars (good)
    Abhainn wrote: »
    KC I thought you would be tempted for a low 2:47 at this stage. ;)
    I am tempted with Amsterdam in Oct. Fast course. A school buddy of mine did a 2:33 in 2008 after a few years running, then had a son and took his foot off the gas since.
    Oh wouldn't it be good to be able to take a permanent sabbatical:rolleyes:
    Wait a minute. What's you PB? <checks Abhainn's FB profile picture>. It's missing the seconds. Is that intentional?!!! <checks Dublin 2009 results page>. New target: 2:47:41.

For some reason I was hung up on a September Marathon. Probably because I want to do Dublin as well. Amsterdam in October will probably be a lot cooler than Berlin in September, but it's too late. All booked now.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    eliwallach wrote: »
    Only worry is that our flights (from Dublin) land at 13:55 on the Sat, and the Expo closes at 18:00. All going well we should make it but it is a little close for comfort. IIRC wasn't there some discussion about this last year and a helpful friend can collect your race pack if it come s to that?
    That's loads of time to get to the expo. But failing that, i'm sure there will be loads of runners heading over on the Friday.

3 stars (average)
    Well, I officially signed up today, So who else is targeting this marathon?

2 Boards AC members now on their participants list :).

4 stars (good)
    Haile Gebrselassie is a memeber of Boards AC?! I'll still take him. :)
    My OH is doing it too, as are a few friends. Trying to sort out accommodation now.

4 stars (good)
    Haile Gebrselassie is a memeber of Boards AC?! I'll still take him. :)
    My OH is doing it too, as are a few friends. Trying to sort out accommodation now.
    Check out Hotel berlin berlin under 1800 hotels. We got 3 nights inc breakie for under 180. A steal. Stayed there the last 2 years.

Eillwellech,
    I am going over on the friday. I will collect it for you if you wish. Give you breathing space then. Send them an email in a few months and they will reply thats its no bother.
    Skating marathon is worth a watch on the sat around 4.30pm.......

Haile Gebrselassie is a memeber of Boards AC?!

Nah, the county board blocked his transfer. Call me a cynic, but I think they spotted a threat to traditional club dominance of the Novice XC. ;)

Which problems with the start? You mean congestion? It's unavoidable with 40k runners.

I dunno Krusty, I think it is avoidable..... My thinking is that if we can grow an ear on the back of a mouse, send people to the moon and make stout as good as a Guinness, then surely we can manage to start a marathon without a huge delay.

I'd have thoght the German's could solve a problem like that - same for the Japanese or even NASA. Has anybody ran in Japan or Cape Canaveral?

4 stars (good)
    I dunno Krusty, I think it is avoidable..... My thinking is that if we can grow an ear on the back of a mouse, send people to the moon and make stout as good as a Guinness, then surely we can manage to start a marathon without a huge delay.

I'd have thoght the German's could solve a problem like that - same for the Japanese or even NASA. Has anybody ran in Japan or Cape Canaveral?
    I didn't lose much time over the first two miles last year (30 seconds?), but the whole of the course is quite populous (think there were 1,200+ runners who finished under three hours!). That's more people than finish a typical Irish marathon! I suppose they could knock down their historic buildings and widen the streets, send everybody off in waves, and look at various other options (I'm out of ideas!) but then people would complain about the alternatives. If you're going to run Berlin, be mentally prepared to run with forty thousand other runners and if you can't hack the idea, aim for a marathon with a smaller field. Barcelona, has around 12K runners and is a fab race (but runs in March).

Another annoyance is water is served in plastic cups, which is pretty crap, so expect to be slowed down at the water-stations as runners try to avoid spilling and slipping on the plastic cups.

Got my accommodation booked, so I'm all set. Wahoo!

30 seconds isn't much I suppose. We'll see how we go at the back.

Yeah, seems like a bit of a step up numbers wise. Dublin's the biggest of the five I've done. Can't say I enjoy the long lonely stages in the small ones so I look forward to some company.

4 stars (good)

Yeah, seems like a bit of a step up numbers wise. Dublin's the biggest of the five I've done. Can't say I enjoy the long lonely stages in the small ones so I look forward to some company.
    With a million spectators, there won't be too many lonely spots! Another annoying point was that if you run at your correct pace, (and don't suffer a slow-down) then you will be passing lots of runners for the last 6 or 7 miles (those who have slowed to a walk), which becomes a bit of a dance. It's a shame theywouldn't walk on the side of the road, rather than following the race line. Phew. Glad I got that off my chest. No more gripes today.

4 stars (good)

I didnt lose a second. The start is so wide you can do what you want in hte first km. I done a 4.19 to ease into it. Could have done 4 min if i wanted.
    Water in cups a pain but you cant have everything. This is my 3rd year in a row so it must be good. Same hotel for the 3 years as well. This year the breakie is included.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    I tried the Hotel Berlin Berlin, but it's around €554 for the three nights now (for two people). So found a four star apartment hotel, with kitchen facilities, swimming pool near the start/finish for €400 for two people for the three nights. It's also close to the main train station (Hauptbahnhof). Link here, if anyone else is looking for something similar.

3 stars (average)
    found a four star apartment hotel, with kitchen facilities, if anyone else is looking for something similar.

Nah.
    No thanks Krusty.
    Going 5 * for this one :rolleyes:.

Although I do envy your kitchen facilities....
    might call over for the porridge......

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

4 stars (good)
    hi all.. im in for Berlin too.. Cigarette free (at last ) so hoping to improve on my Barcelona time and maybe aim for 3.10 which will qualify me for Boston.

Krusty great time and report form Conn Ultra..Well done

4 stars (good)
    eliwallach wrote: »
    Nah.
    might call over for the porridge......
    Cream and honey on the side?
    Liam123 wrote:
    Krusty great time and report form Conn Ultra..Well done
    Thanks much! Hopefully Berlin won't be as hot as Connemara (never thought I'd be saying those words!).

BTW: Aer Lingus are heaving a mini seat sale, so there are some slightly cheaper seats available.

3 stars (average)
    Registration @ €80 expires on 23-April-2010.

Thereafter it increases to €100 ;).

You have been warned :rolleyes:.

4 stars (good)
    Too early to start checking out the long range weather forecasts? :D
    I see there are three boards runners registered. The race is on........

Who's the spring chicken? :)

3 stars (average)
    Edit to earlier post:

Early as never before, on April 20th, the real,- BERLIN-MARATHON has sold out its 40.000 entries. Less than a thousand bib numbers are left, all of them are charity entries for 142,195 Euro

Taken from official website.

3 stars (average)
    I see there are three boards runners registered. The race is on........

Who's the spring chicken? :)

You mean the 1977 kid? Not me guv'.
    I'm the senior member of the trio ;).

That would make me the spring chicken then.....although by no means does it mean I'll enter into any discussions about age-handicapping or anything like that! :D

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Peckham wrote: »
    That would make me the spring chicken then.....although by no means does it mean I'll enter into any discussions about age-handicapping or anything like that! :D
    Good stuff. Glad you got in before they closed the registration. It'll be Weizen beers all around,at 11:48am on the 26th September.

Advertisement