Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changing name from Irish to English...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

muineachan wrote: »
    But a fada is part of the Irish language, so why keep part of the Irish language and ditch the sex? Too me id say either keep Irish language rules or don't.

My first name has a fada: I put it in whether I am operating in Irish or English. Same applies to Herself: fada in both Irish and English.

It might seem odd to you at present; it doesn't feel that way to me. Give it a chance, and you can get used to it.

[PS: I feel an urge to add a fada to your username.]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭muineachan

But a fada is part of the Irish language, so why keep part of the Irish language and ditch the sex? Too me id say either keep Irish language rules or don't.

My first name has a fada: I put it in whether I am operating in Irish or English. Same applies to Herself: fada in both Irish and English.

It might seem odd to you at present; it doesn't feel that way to me. Give it a chance, and you can get used to it.

I dunno it feels a bit weird to operate half and half, I don't see why you'd keep one part of irish language rules in your name but then not others. Surely I'd either use and Irish name or not at all?

I dunno it feels a bit weird to operate half and half, I don't see why you'd keep one part of irish language rules in your name but then not others. Surely I'd either use and Irish name or not at all?

Ps lean ort lol

I have just one name, a name that many people would consider to be Irish. You could say that the English form of my name is the same as the Irish one. I'll put it to you the other way: why should I mess about with my name because I am operating in a different language?

Most of my life is lived through English, a bit of it through Irish, and a week or two every year through fractured French. Only in Irish do I modulate my name, or that of anybody else (e.g. the vocative I use for Mícheál in English is Mícheál; in Irish it's A Mhichíl).

As I said earlier, it comes down to style preference, and if my practice does not appeal to you, then so be it. But do bear in mind when struggling with your challenge that my solution has the advantage of being very convenient.

I have just one name, a name that many people would consider to be Irish. You could say that the English form of my name is the same as the Irish one. I'll put it to you the other way: why should I mess about with my name because I am operating in a different language?

Most of my life is lived through English, a bit of it through Irish, and a week or two every year through fractured French. Only in Irish do I modulate my name, or that of anybody else (e.g. the vocative I use for Mícheál in English is Mícheál; in Irish it's A Mhichíl).

As I said earlier, it comes down to style preference, and if my practice does not appeal to you, then so be it. But do bear in mind when struggling with your challenge that my solution has the advantage of being very convenient.

Thanks for clarifying, certainly something to be thought about.

• Advertisement

I told Herself about this discussion, and she made an observation that might be helpful: let your intended make the choice.

Thanks, Yeah good plan, i was talking to herself about it and she shes in two minds but she does think keeping 'Ó....' rather than 'ní...' is an option worth considering so shed have exactly the same name as me.

Advertisement