Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland to Fit out our new house

• 28-05-2010 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi,
    we are from Galway and thinking of going up north to literally fit out our house, everything from the sanitary ware, tiles etc.... to the couches... Any reccommendations on places that people have dealt with..

we were told about a place called kildress?? Anyone go there??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bossman07

not been biased here but you wont beat curley,s in craughtwell for carpets if needed .im in the trade and always get from him for relatives and friends and im in clare .

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

I was thinking the same but after taking a trip up to Newry i wasn't overly impressed with the prices for the trek up.

Went to Arma tile in Newry - Lovely stuff but prices weren't cheap.
    AJ Plumbing....really didn't see what all the fuss was about this place, didn't find it cheaper than down here and considering the delivery charges i wasn't impresses but i do know lots of people recommend them.
    We did but our suite of furniture and dining set up in one of the industrial parks just outside Newry town...can't remember name of it but they had a B&Q, Next Home, Dreams, Land of Leather. Happy with my purchases there but for the travel up and the exchange rate no longer at the good rate it was i'm not sure i'd go back up for anything.
    For my sanitary wear i'm looking to order from Bathromsni.co.uk and Victoria Plumb.
    I've already bought 2 showers from showerwarehouse.com saving myself about €70 just on that small purchase so there are savings to be made buying in £'s i think you just have to shop around a bit more than before.
    I got the feeling Newry stores were overpricing things because they have huge volume of custom coming from the south thinking they're getting bargins!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I got a written quote in Homebase Cookstown for a new bathroom including tiles. This included a 'managers discount'.

Got a better deal for the exact same items in Homebase Dublin!

Don't assume the north is cheaper for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    I got a written quote in Homebase Cookstown for a new bathroom including tiles. This included a 'managers discount'.

Got a better deal for the exact same items in Homebase Dublin!

Don't assume the north is cheaper for everything.

+1
    Shop around locally if you can, if for no other reason than there won't be too much difference in price at the moment after you factor in diesel costs, van hire (if needed) and the current exchange rate

We got a kitchen in homebase in Sligo, and tbh, they were fairly on a par with IKEA, and it was designed by the staff who knew what they were doing, and delivered to the house.

Advertisement