Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Comments

I am early days off the booze, only 11 days but i am not going to be counting as my plan is not to be off drink but to not drink again if that makes sense. To me to be off it means i will be eventually back on it, I rather look at myself as just not drinking anymore. I wouldn't count myself as having a problem, before xmas I was actually just getting sick of it, decided i would read the Allen Gray book and it gives some different angles to look at drink. It really does taste crap when you actually compare it to a nice juice or even a cooldrink.

Anyway last year I decided after xmas (as i was home for xmas) and my birthday in early January, I would just put it in my mind i am not drinking anymore. So its coming up to another weekend and I have absolutely no craving or itch to go out drinking. Plan to just relax at home tomorrow night and go to the cinema on Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Sounds like the best attitude to have. Same here, I'm not 'off drink', nor did I 'give it up' I just don't drink. Lifestyle choice.

Best wishes and plenty of support from like-minded people available here should you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

off since 30th December and feeling much more positive and better physically. I never drank that much but over the last year I was I'd say using it a few nights 3-4 a week to relax before bed. 2 or 3 cans mid-week and maybe on a weekend night 4 or five ( about 10 - 15 cans per week) . I was starting to feel sh1t. I would often wake up in the morning and say to myself I have to stop this because I usually feel bad the morning after - lacking energy, feeling a little low and often ask myself why do I bother!

For me it is easier to give up completely than to drink for only one night a week.

I started meditation and haven't felt as good in years.. Just need to get back on the bike again and burn off Christmas...

My initial intention was not to drink during January but I'm strongly considering exteding this for longer..

Good luck to all fellow boardies n your quest for a dryer life...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

27 days now, 27 days with plenty of xmas beers still sitting in the house, simply don't want one, although my problem with drink is mainly social and i haven't been out at all this month, but ill cross that bridge when it comes

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

I'm a 25 year old fella and I'm seven days without alcohol and feeling great! Really loving it!

Before, I would have been drinking between 10-15 pints in a week including having one or two each night when i'd go out for dinner.
    I stopped because I had picked up a shoulder injury from swimming and I wanted to see if it would heal quickly but with the intention of continuing after my recovery. I had had the same injury before but it had taken weeks to heal up but I feel as though now, without the drink in my system, I have recovered much more sooner than I would have with the booze.

I'm surprised but I really shouldn't be. It's giving me encouragement to give up the drinking for a longer period of time as I just feel great atm:D

Great thread by the way that makes for great reading and undoubtedly, this has already been mentioned on it but I was out with friends from my house last night and while they were on the booze, I was drinking a few cans of non-alcoholic beer and the difference told on us all this morning. I was energetic and lively while they were and still are tired and lethargic. No Greater Incentive!:pac: I'm also loving the fact that for the first time in what seems like years I'm making use of a sunday instead of suffering for the night before.

Best Wishes and Good Luck to all those who are trying to break the habit and Fair Play to you all for the amount of time that you have been off it:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

28 days today and I feel so so good. (I would normal be out every weekend drinking nothing but spirts and shots and then be depressed for days afterwards).

Have also lost a bit of weight too:). I was out last weekend and drank 3 bottles of becks non alcoholic beer, which was a great barier to overcome, but i did have a bad headache the next day, so maybe just drink soft drinks next time.

I started with just the idea of quiting for January (like most of Ireland) but now that im near the end of the month I want to continue as ive never felt better mentally and phyically. Dont miss it at all .going to friends 30th this saturday. its great knowing I dont have to bring alot of cash and that ill be so fresh Sunday morning..........this is something i wish I had have done sooner. Congrats to all the other people posting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

11 days today. A week spent in hospital being a pin cushion due to booze has knocked the urge out of me. I was dry for two years plus before I fell off the wagon. I will stay dry this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

17 days! first time in 20+ years.

Would consider myself a heavy drinker,but depending on who'd you ask some would say i have a problem with it.

Only reason I have stopped was cause I got TB and have to take tablets for 9 months and they give my liver a battering apparently and with drink on top I'll do serious damage to it.

Im starting to enjoy it and hope to stay off it when the course of tablets is up.

on the plus side Im back training,saving myself a good few quid,spending proper time with my son and not smoking as much!

on the down side I have no excuse for kissing ugly girls now:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Well done everyone in there journeys to not drink alcohol for what ever reason, It is very hard at the start but so well worth the effort and I think I can say that the for the very very majority of people who stop drinking there lives improve greatly all around in every way :-)It's amazing what even a few days of abstaining does for mental and emotional clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

24 days today, feeling good. More money in the pocket and loving Saturday and Sunday mornings :-)
    Also looking forward to watching the Rugby at home on Saturday with some ginger ale and chili nachos instead of fighting for space in a crammed pub :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

I've been alcohol-free since the New Year. The plan was to give up for the month of January as I had figured that I haven't had more than a few days break from alcohol for about 20 years. I had also noticed that I had been steadily drinking more - and more frequently.

So the first of February came yesterday and the Friday feeling that I had the first few weeks had disappeared. So I started to think, maybe I should just keep going? I wrote down a list of the pros and cons of having given up for a month. There was lots and lots on the pro side - the feeling of having a clear head, more energy, losing weight, performing much better at work, sleeping better - and actually being able to remember my dreams (hadn't expected that one!), enjoying food better.... the list goes on and on.

So then I started on the 'cons' side and do you know what, I couldn't think of one disadvantage to not drinking over the past month, not one!

So month 2 here we go!

I've been alcohol-free since the New Year. The plan was to give up for the month of January as I had figured that I haven't had more than a few days break from alcohol for about 20 years. I had also noticed that I had been steadily drinking more - and more frequently.

So the first of February came yesterday and the Friday feeling that I had the first few weeks had disappeared. So I started to think, maybe I should just keep going? I wrote down a list of the pros and cons of having given up for a month. There was lots and lots on the pro side - the feeling of having a clear head, more energy, losing weight, performing much better at work, sleeping better - and actually being able to remember my dreams (hadn't expected that one!), enjoying food better.... the list goes on and on.

So then I started on the 'cons' side and do you know what, I couldn't think of one disadvantage to not drinking over the past month, not one!

So month 2 here we go!

Good work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭tony stark

Can't believe it. Had been off drink since new years eve. A month, then I arranged to go out Saturday and thought I could handle a few. Of course I tricked myself into thinking I should buy more for the house before I head out thinking its better value. Ended up in a state. The usual antics and making a show of myself. Full of regret now. Been about a year trying to cut back and stop. I'll go a few weeks then on a massive bender. Have loads of hobbies to keep me busy. But once I hear the other half is going out I start planning drink time. Im sick of it. It's going to destroy me, constantly cringing thinking about how I act. Unfortunately I know I'm going to lose one of my best friends who doesn't think I have any problem, he loves when Im out on the lash. Can't blame him it's my responsibility. I am now a non drinker. No exception. 1 day off it. Hopefully I'll be on here regularly to keep motivated. The threads here are great

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Johnny Cage

Im a really bad binge drinker, im in college and went out 4 nights this week with only 1 sober night. I got it into my head that the sober night was rubbish and so went completely off the wagon the next night. Horrendous hangover and fear the next 2 days but i was back out and drinking with the lads on saturday again:rolleyes:

Got absolutely no college work done and only went to the gym twice last week which is bad for me as i go at least 5 times a week all because of being hungover and having no motivation to do anything.

Ive spent 6 months where i didn't drink at all because i was never near a pub and it was the most productive part of my life so far and didn't even think of drinking.

Anyway bought Jason Vale's book last night and stayed up till half 4 reading the whole thing. It's a great book, i love the realisation that i am not giving up anything just that after all the facts are laid out that drinking is completely pointless. Had my final can last night and it tasted like crap.

Actually looking forward to going out this week and not having to deal with hangovers and getting stuff done.

tl;dr

I'm not drinking anymore:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

I fell of the wagon (as planned) on Friday. I'd given up for January and despite a few obstacles being placed in my way I managed to make it through the whole month. Despite a heavy session on Friday and the subsequent two day hangover, I’m very proud of myself to have made it through the 31 days of January. I’ll be heading to the football on Wednesday and hope not to drink then, which will be another first. One step at a time and all that. Best of luck to the rest of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Im a really bad binge drinker, im in college and went out 4 nights this week with only 1 sober night. I got it into my head that the sober night was rubbish and so went completely off the wagon the next night. Horrendous hangover and fear the next 2 days but i was back out and drinking with the lads on saturday again:rolleyes:

Got absolutely no college work done and only went to the gym twice last week which is bad for me as i go at least 5 times a week all because of being hungover and having no motivation to do anything.

Ive spent 6 months where i didn't drink at all because i was never near a pub and it was the most productive part of my life so far and didn't even think of drinking.

Anyway bought Jason Vale's book last night and stayed up till half 4 reading the whole thing. It's a great book, i love the realisation that i am not giving up anything just that after all the facts are laid out that drinking is completely pointless. Had my final can last night and it tasted like crap.

Actually looking forward to going out this week and not having to deal with hangovers and getting stuff done.

tl;dr

I'm not drinking anymore:)

Fair play to ya some good intentions there. One thing to keep in mind is that your drinking buddies might not be so pleased with the sober you. There's a lot of peer pressure in Ireland especially on young people. I think people like the reinforcement of a crowd to drink in cos it makes them feel more secure. Being excluded can be tough but you have to stick to what is best for you. Actually you remind me of myself when I was in my 20's. When it came to drink and me I knew something wasn't right but I didn't have the self belief or should I say that things hadn't gotten bad enough for me to stop. Not saying that's necessarily the case with you but try and remember that six months you were off it and how good that felt. Best of luck and let us all know how you're getting on :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 xim2

Is been 150 days off alcohol ! Now only need to manage to get off the smokes too :P one thing at the time ! I lost weight, have self respect again, my skin looks so much better, yesterday instead of spending all sunday recovering from a ''night out'' i did 20km hill walk - feel great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 hestonpc

15 days for me, read easy way to control alcohol by Allen Carr. Heavy weekend drinker for last 20 years, cannot have one or two, I have to drink them all. Tried before to give up using will power, lasted 5 weeks,and drank heavier afterwards. Difficult weekend just gone, lots of cravings but I got through (herbal tea and exercise).

Had a moment tonight, walking into the wind and rain,realised how good I felt, Have not felt this good on a Monday ever (even in the cold wind and rain). All the little easy fix problems that become mountains when you drink are now just that, small easy fix problems.

Lots of support here, good to know you are not alone, thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Johnny Cage

Wattle wrote: »
    Fair play to ya some good intentions there. One thing to keep in mind is that your drinking buddies might not be so pleased with the sober you. There's a lot of peer pressure in Ireland especially on young people. I think people like the reinforcement of a crowd to drink in cos it makes them feel more secure. Being excluded can be tough but you have to stick to what is best for you. Actually you remind me of myself when I was in my 20's. When it came to drink and me I knew something wasn't right but I didn't have the self belief or should I say that things hadn't gotten bad enough for me to stop. Not saying that's necessarily the case with you but try and remember that six months you were off it and how good that felt. Best of luck and let us all know how you're getting on :)

That is true but i feel my mates are more then just drinking buddies and if they aren't then ill soon find out. I'm going to say that i want to take my fitness more seriously and they will prob not care since i have a goal. Once they get used to me not drinking they will hopefully not care so long as i'm pretty much the same person and still up for the craic.

Anyway i'm doing this to achieve my own goals which matter more to me then what my mates think. Ill update on my progress in a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

That is true but i feel my mates are more then just drinking buddies and if they aren't then ill soon find out. I'm going to say that i want to take my fitness more seriously and they will prob not care since i have a goal. Once they get used to me not drinking they will hopefully not care so long as i'm pretty much the same person and still up for the craic.

Anyway i'm doing this to achieve my own goals which matter more to me then what my mates think. Ill update on my progress in a month.

Fair enough but remember you might find that being out with them when you're the only sober one might test your patients a little bit. Just my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

into month 2 now (36 days) and my opinion still hasnt changed one bit. Too many positives now to actually want a drink. As they say it takes something like 20 odd days to form a habit (or break one :) ). So next step the EVIL smokes. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

One month today :-) and I genuinely have not missed it at all. Had the odd momentary pang for a beer when I was out for dinner and saw people with pints in front of them but I genuinely never felt like going out on the piss. Heading in to month two now and still feeling good about it!

i am now 24 days, haven't got any pangs for a drink, have gone out for 1-2 hours the last 2 saturdays and just drank sprite or water. My month will be the 13th of feb, then lent starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

I'm only three days but this is the time when I'm most likely break it again so by listening to ye guys and saying how long to ye it will help me along. Baby steps to start off.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭7 7 12

1 day at a time , best of luck to everyone here you are doing great.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Fair play to des bishop - he seems to be grappling with this issue and getting people to reflect of their behaviour.

I'm now about 40 days dry and going strong

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

I'm only three days but this is the time when I'm most likely break it again so by listening to ye guys and saying how long to ye it will help me along. Baby steps to start off.

I jumped off the bandwagon last night and had a few pints. I'm slightly ashamed to say this but I'm gona try my best once again. I also need to get involved in more stuff to fill my time. I've non drinking related activities planned for tonight and rest of weekend will involve some work I need to do and some exercise. Hope ye all have a nice sober weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭E.S.T.

I jumped off the bandwagon last night and had a few pints. I'm slightly ashamed to say this but I'm gona try my best once again. I also need to get involved in more stuff to fill my time. I've non drinking related activities planned for tonight and rest of weekend will involve some work I need to do and some exercise. Hope ye all have a nice sober weekend!

I wrote a note on my desktop about not drinking and warning myself not to let my thoughts start whitewashing my alcoholism after being sober for a while. It definitively helped and I still have it up there even though I rarely think about alcohol anymore.

I jumped off the bandwagon last night and had a few pints. I'm slightly ashamed to say this but I'm gonna try my best once again. I also need to get involved in more stuff to fill my time. I've non drinking related activities planned for tonight and rest of weekend will involve some work I need to do and some exercise. Hope ye all have a nice sober weekend!

There's nothing to be ashamed about - it's nothing that we all haven't done a million times -What is your long term plans re alcohol ? Are you quitting for good or just moderating ? either way you need to remember failing to plan is planing to fail ;) Good move on putting activities in place for when you get the auld cravings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

One week today...
    Went to the doc last week,wasnt feeling too good,he took my blood pressure...sky high..took it four times ..the same
    Gave me a 24hr monitor..went back next day..he said i had the highest readings in the last six years in his practice and i was on the verge of a stroke or heart attack...im 42
    My problem is once i start i cant stop..last night was the first friday in 25 years i didnt drink ..
    Need something to fill in that void.. Esp the weekends..any ideas?....

Advertisement